iPad 2

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

iPad 2

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:46 pm

Followed this a bit and wanted to know how the members of SoSZ felt about this device. I can be a bit sometimesy when it comes to gadgets.

What do you think about the iPad 2? Will you go out and buy it upon release (3/11/11)? Will you get it but wait until the bugs that usual accompany gadgets are fixed?

Personally, I may decide to get it based on the fact that the price is currently set at $499. I probably won't get it at release and wait for a few months. If I wait beyond about 5 or 6 months then I probably won't get it at all.

iPad 2

Jobs unveils the iPad 2

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: iPad 2

Unread postby James » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:12 pm

I have the original iPad and I won't be getting this one. I'll probably buy the iPad 3, which will likely feature a 'Retina Display' (Apple's term for a display in which the pixels are so dense that the pixels become indistinguishable to a person with average eyesight). The iPhone 4 has a screen of this sort and I absolutely love the clarity when reading.

As for the iPad 2, the advancements are terrific. This thing is going to be a monster in terms of processing power and speed. I'm definitely looking forward to trying it out. And I don't think there's any reason to get something other than an iPad if someone wants to buy this new type of tablet computer. The only worthwhile competitors are based on Android which won't be ready for tablets until it comes equipped with Gingerbread, and even then, it is still years behind iOS in terms of accessibility, polish, usability, stability, speed, and probably most important, the App Store and the developer community. RIM's upcoming PlayBook is a joke and HP's WebOS-based tablet is also behind, though it at least shows terrific potential for the future.

When the first iPad came out I wasn't sure if I actually wanted one. It took a few months for me to warm up to the idea at all. At one point (as availability started to improve) I spotted one at Best Buy and tried it out. I immediately started to appreciate it. It is just a very enjoyable, convenient, and immersive way to handle so many of the day-to-day activities we might have once depended on a computer for. It also serves as a reading companion and I've also started using the AirPlay feature quite a bit (e.g. playing movies on the exercise room television while I'm working out).

And regarding product reliability, you could probably snatch it up right out the gate without much fuss. Apple has been putting terrific effort into ensuring the initial stability and reliability of these iOS devices upon initial release and they've got quite a bit of experience with the hardware and the software to date. It is possible that there might be some kind of unforeseen problem (e.g. some iPhone 4s had odd discolored patches on their screens) but if that happens you could just swing it back by the Apple Store or call Apple and have it replaced (without having to worry about availability).
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:00 pm

I haven't really looked in to an iPd and have only used two briefly. I couldn't really understand the advantages to a laptop if I'm honest, at least not to an extent that I would shell out that much. So I guess I'm gonna ask James what he thinks is so great about his iPad? Course being a student means I doubt I'll be buying one anytime soon... :lol:.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:19 pm

It's basically what I said above. It does numerous things (especially when you factor in the App Store) and it does many things better than any computer. This includes most routine computer activities a person might take interest in, especially as they pertain to data consumption (e.g. internet browsing, email, watching video, etc.). It is a terrific book reader, very fun for gaming, and always convenient—no need to bother with a computer, or keeping one on, or turning one on. Some people have taken it to new levels doing amazing artistic things with it (art, music, video) but I'm pretty much just using it for the former.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:04 pm

Yes, though I don't have one, I can certainly see why the people who do have one love it. There are some tasks that just don't feel natural when you're sitting at a desk or have got the thing on your lap. Reading the news, for example, especially long articles. In our art forum, some have mentioned that they use a tablet for their drawing. Clearly the iPad is for those who have serious money that they're willing to spend on gadgets — but the rest of us can dream!
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mikhail » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:00 pm

I have one. Bought it almost a month ago. Not fully sold on the device as of yet. Right now, I still prefer using my netbook for most things just because of the keyboard. I've used it more for an ebook reader more than anything so far and a semi-gaming device. Maybe I need a few more apps and I certainly don't regret my purchase, but I'm still looking for something to make it a more substantial device for me.

One thing I do find is that for playing media online, I find it a lot better than my netbook. It's quicker and seemingly more powerful in doing that.
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Unread postby James » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:31 pm

You can use a keyboard with it if you want to go with a laptop-type setup for some more heavy-duty writing (get that new cover from Apple and use it to prop the iPad while you use your Bluetooth keyboard). For quick writing give the touch screen keyboard a shot—it gets the job done. The main thing about it which is so cool is that it provides a really immersive experience no matter what you're doing, and it's always readily accessible and available.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Adam » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:13 pm

Recently grabbed one, never had the original so I just went ahead and got the 2...love it, way easier than carrying around a laptop...only thing I regret is not getting the 3G, didn't think. I'd be wanting to use it as many places as I have.

Only problem is it's made me hate my iPhone with it's tiny display. >.>

Still getting used to the keyboard obviously. <.<
-亚当
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mikhail » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:42 pm

Actually haven't used it as much as I should...

Its only being used currently as a book reading device and nothing else. I'm not playing games on it or storing any sort of media, though I did watch most of the RotK series on it when it was still going.
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Unread postby James » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:47 pm

Adam wrote:Only problem is it's made me hate my iPhone with it's tiny display. >.>

I use my iPhone more often because of its 'Retina' display. I love the crisp text. I would obviously rather read a book on the iPad, though. I still have the original iPad and I'll be upgrading whenever they add a 'Retina' display to the iPad, and that'll be the model I stick with for quite a while.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Next

Return to Foreign Kingdoms