Website (HTML/CSS/Design) Assistance Thread

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Website (HTML/CSS/Design) Assistance Thread

Unread postby James » Wed Nov 06, 2002 10:12 am

Having trouble with or need feedback regarding your Website? Want to try your luck at asking the Scholars of Shen Zhou for assistance or ideas? This is the right thread.

Please be as specific as possible when explaining site problems. If it is something you can show the members, please upload a page that they can view in their browser. Remember that this isn’t a Web Design forum and that not many members will be available to help with all problems.

If you want feedback on a site please post it normally in this forum (as a separate thread for Three Kingdoms sites, or in the personal web site or forums thread for everything else).
Last edited by James on Wed Feb 26, 2003 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

popup killer

Unread postby Justin » Sun Dec 08, 2002 8:14 pm

ok on my new star wars message board, I get an annyoying pop up whenever I leave the web page or hit the refresh button. I was wondering if there is a way to kill this via php? I don't know much about the source but I think there has to be a way to kill it.
My Website

My Blog

The Dungeon

Trouble maker extraordinaire!
Justin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: popup killer

Unread postby James » Sun Dec 08, 2002 11:46 pm

Wan Hung Lo wrote:ok on my new star wars message board, I get an annyoying pop up whenever I leave the web page or hit the refresh button. I was wondering if there is a way to kill this via php? I don't know much about the source but I think there has to be a way to kill it.

Can you check the source code of a rendered page and find the HTML/JS that calls the popup? Post it and everything around it.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Shi Jing Xu at PCHS » Mon Feb 03, 2003 6:32 pm

There is actually a way to get around pop-ups?
Shi Jing Xu at PCHS

Unread postby James » Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:58 pm

Shi Jing Xu at PCHS wrote:There is actually a way to get around pop-ups?

Yes, in some cases you can use HTML or JavaScript of you own to kill them.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Shi Jing Xu » Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:31 am

Would you maybe lose your account if the host found out about it though?
"As if you could kill time without injuring eternity." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Shi Jing Xu
Hermione G

Unread postby Maria » Wed Feb 05, 2003 12:38 pm

Yeah, they're pretty harsh, but sometimes they have too many customers that they don't notice you...

Does anyone know how to put a password protection for a page? I'm making a special page just for the members of the Fanlisting, and I need a PP script. It better not have ads. The bravenet one got an ad at the bottom, it leeches the goodness out of the page :x

So anyone?
Maria
Iron Duchess

Unread postby James » Wed Feb 05, 2003 1:38 pm

I need to get some info on password protecting pages as well. If I find anything out I will let you know. Maybe someone else here has done that sort of dev. work. Wan Hung Lo?

Shi Jing Xu wrote:Would you maybe lose your account if the host found out about it though?

Yeah, if they find out you are gone. They almost never do though, the major hosts don’t police their sites.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Gravity » Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:47 am

Perhaps this code will do for a password protection?

Code: Select all
<HEAD><SCRIPT language="JavaScript"><!--hidevar password;var pass1="PASSWORD GOES HERE";password=prompt('TEXT ON P-UP',' ');if (password==pass1)alert('TEXT IF CORRECT');else { window.location="URL OF PAGE THAT IT GOES TO IF THEY ANSWERED WRONG";    }//--></SCRIPT></HEAD>
Gravity
I Got Skillz

Unread postby Maria » Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:07 am

[EDIT]

Gotcha. Thanks a lot Gravity :)
Maria
Iron Duchess

Next

Return to Foreign Kingdoms