Website (HTML/CSS/Design) Assistance Thread

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Unread postby James » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:14 pm

Justin wrote:[…] God I hate making sure code works in IE and Firefox.

For HTML and CSS 1/2 at least, design to standards, then clean up whatever deviance remains (you will usually be cleaning up after IE). This way you know your code will be compatible with future updates in nearly every case. IE isn’t too bad once you figure out where its problems are (if you understand the box model and the way in which IE butchers it, you somehow become good at making the box model work with IE).
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Justin » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:12 pm

Yay more fun with ie and firefox, well IE anyways.

Ok I have a div tag with an overflow: auto style set. I am doing some magic with javascript to set the divs scrollTop position. The problem is ie will not set the scrollTop. The number I want is coming through just fine but for whatever reason the scroll bar won't move to the correct position. I am not having this problem in firefox.

My google searches aren't being very helpful so if someone knows the freaking answer help me out.
My Website

My Blog

The Dungeon

Trouble maker extraordinaire!
Justin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:20 pm

Justin wrote:My google searches aren't being very helpful so if someone knows the freaking answer help me out.

You're wondering about the Javascript? Too bad I don't have my books with me. Make sure the Javascript you are using is actually supported in Internet Explorer. Javascript is every bit as messy as HTML in terms of what is supported where, when, and under what circumstances.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Justin » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:22 am

I found out it wasn't the scrollTop. It was being run in the window.onload event, which IE runs way before the entire page is rendered, Firefox waits for the page to be fully rendered. So setting the code in a setTimeout function solves the render issue. Stupid ie......
My Website

My Blog

The Dungeon

Trouble maker extraordinaire!
Justin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:01 pm

It's a phpbb forum question really...how can I mass-delete users?

One of the forums I have sadly was left unattended and let's say I have like, 700+ users that aren't really users.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby James » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:37 pm

The safest way to do this would be to browse extensions at phpbb.com. I’m sure there are several that allow you exceptional control over your user management. I’m personally waiting for the next version of the software as it will include built-in user pruning options. That said, I’m sure you could construct a SQL query, given enough knowledge, to delete anything in any way you wanted, but I’m not familiar enough to do that. It would, however, be easy to delete all users with, say, zero posts with a simple query.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Adam » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:57 pm

Dumb question.
Why is it I can't load some images?

For example, a number of people here appear to have no avatars, but if I hit the stop button before the page loads, I'll see the little placeholder thing, and when I right click and go to "View image" it shows up on that page just fine. If I go back it'll show up until I hit refresh.
-亚当
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Pi Ka Chu » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:54 am

I having trouble encoding Unicode in HTML. Everytime I try, boxes appear, or the entire code setting is shown. What Am I doing wrong.
Nice guys don't insists on being creepers just because they were nice.
Pi Ka Chu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Watching Ratatosk insult the eagle on Yggdrasil for the wrym Níðhöggr

Unread postby Seven at One Stroke » Sat May 12, 2007 3:25 am

I am trying to make a text effect in Flash, but I'm mainly looking for help with the concept:
I want to make a function that loads a text string variable of undetermined size and then display it one letter at a time (and then perhaps return the lower right coordinate of the last line). What are some ways I can go about doing that? (I thought of adding another layer on top with background color that gets erased slowly, but it seems incredibly lame and may not work for the size of text I'm looking for. (max 10 screen lines))

Example:
text string: abc
frame 1: a
frame 2: ab
frame 3: abc

If I posted in the wrong thread I apologize. >.<
Moderation in pursuit of actual work is no vice.
Seven at One Stroke
Sei's Slave

Unread postby James » Sat May 12, 2007 4:41 am

Pi Ka Chu wrote:I having trouble encoding Unicode in HTML. Everytime I try, boxes appear, or the entire code setting is shown. What Am I doing wrong.

What are you doing? Share examples?

Seven at One Stroke wrote:I am trying to make a text effect in Flash, but I'm mainly looking for help with the concept:

Wish I could be of help here… it has been years since I’ve coded in Actionscript, and I’m afraid I don’t remember a lot of this stuff. My books are also packed away in boxes…

Maybe someone else knows Flash?
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

PreviousNext

Return to Foreign Kingdoms