Website (HTML/CSS/Design) Assistance Thread

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Unread postby Emperor Bohe » Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:55 am

I need a host
Emperor Bohe
Changshi

Unread postby James » Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:07 am

Emperor Bohe wrote:I need a host

For what? Are you willing to pay? Etc.
Be specific.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Maria » Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:09 am

I need to convince my dad even more :x Got any cheap host or something? (good ones) Preferable not more than 8 bucks a month, but anything less than 15 is okay...

Anyway, for that password protection, people can easily check it by checking the source. I saw some stuff that uses .asp, but it won't work in my website (method not allowed). I have to find another alternative... again.

So if anyone got another set of password protection, I'd very much apprecite it :)
Maria
Iron Duchess

Unread postby Rhiannon » Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:30 am

Dragon_Girl wrote:I need to convince my dad even more :x Got any cheap host or something? (good ones) Preferable not more than 8 bucks a month, but anything less than 15 is okay...

Try http://www.ms11.net. $11 one time fee, 25 megs space, and unlimited bandwidth. No ads. No email spam. It's what I'm on.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby James » Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:12 am

Yeah, I was thinking something more along the lines of back end database or CGI password protection. It can’t be that hard. That JavaScript works for basic stuff though, most people would be unable to get around it, even more if you moved it to an external .js file.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Gravity » Sat Feb 08, 2003 6:56 pm

Well, another alternative to the password protection is to sign up at HostedScripts. Their code that needs to be inserted doesn't give away the password.
Gravity
I Got Skillz

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:07 pm

Wild-Eyes wrote:
Dragon_Girl wrote:I need to convince my dad even more :x Got any cheap host or something? (good ones) Preferable not more than 8 bucks a month, but anything less than 15 is okay...

Try http://www.ms11.net. $11 one time fee, 25 megs space, and unlimited bandwidth. No ads. No email spam. It's what I'm on.

Any host that promises unlimited bandwidth is a fraud.
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby James » Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:33 pm

Jonathan Wu wrote:Any host that promises unlimited bandwidth is a fraud.

They all have their limits, but if someone has made a payment for their service they can only be so demanding.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Maria » Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:26 am

They do have limits, but normally it's either:

- Very large, so they call it "unlimited" because it's not likely that any site they host would go over that
- BS

Take a pick ;)
Maria
Iron Duchess

Unread postby Rhiannon » Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:51 pm

For MS11, it's very large. They basically say in their ToS that it's not something they monitor unless it's extremely excessive, and it's not something they shut a site down for unless the site is against the ToS or the webmaster doesn't reply to their emails. Most people who don't want their own domain name aren't worrying about excessive bandwidth anyway.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

PreviousNext

Return to Foreign Kingdoms