Website (HTML/CSS/Design) Assistance Thread

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Unread postby Justin » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:25 pm

James wrote:Web design/development becomes much easier when we learn to embrace a viewer’s choice and preferences. It means not overriding their font sizes, locking out their screen sizes, or forcing other surprises on them in the name of design integrity. The internet is a vessel meant to transport information, after all, and other purposes are generally a secondary concern.

Exceptions are obviously appropriate when developing for a closed environment, but if it is for the open web one day you will find almost anything is possible—from people viewing the site through a 3" screen to someone using a 52" flat-screen LCD HDTV.

This project will be viewed on the open internet by a lot of people. Sorry James but your post contains a lot of altruistic bullshit :) When a project hits a certain size no matter what kind (open website or closed super secret DoD systems) you have to make some limitations. You can spend a lot of time & money making every pixel perfect on every machine, browser, and OS or you can do the best you can and set certain limitations that have to be achieved. I am not spending 95% of my time on 5% of my project. Obvious large glaring things of course will get dealt with but some crap just has to slide. If that means people who view the site in 800x600 or crappy phone web browsers get screwed, well that's the way the cookie crumbles.
My Website

My Blog

The Dungeon

Trouble maker extraordinaire!
Justin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:21 am

Justin wrote:This project will be viewed on the open internet by a lot of people. Sorry James but your post contains a lot of altruistic bullshit :) When a project hits a certain size no matter what kind (open website or closed super secret DoD systems) you have to make some limitations. You can spend a lot of time & money making every pixel perfect on every machine, browser, and OS or you can do the best you can and set certain limitations that have to be achieved. I am not spending 95% of my time on 5% of my project. Obvious large glaring things of course will get dealt with but some crap just has to slide. If that means people who view the site in 800x600 or crappy phone web browsers get screwed, well that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Altruistic bullshit… hehe. What you said is true in the programming world, but not on the open web. Most any application you could possibly dream up can be comfortably designed to work with 1024x768. <i>Some</i> applications—particularly those targeting a higher class of tech-savvy customer—can be deployed for 1280x1024. It isn’t something a designer usually has much say over. The vast majority of the web is still using 1024x768 and my comments apply to them.

When speaking of computer programs it is a completely different story.

Also note that I was not speaking to pixel-perfect control. I was actually speaking about releasing a lot of that control to the viewer’s preference. Web designers commonly forget that people want to <i>use</i> their web page, not look at it. If you force them to deal with 10px text you’re going to have many unhappy high-resolution or poor-vision viewers (for example).
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Adam » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:57 am

Non-technical question.

Why in the bleeding bloody blathering hell is it that a small number of websites give me the "Server Not Found" error despite the fact that the website:
A. Exists (I checked, it's registered)
B. Others can go to it without issue

Edit: Also the website's been around for a while as far as I know at that site so it's unlikely it's some DNS type issue.
-亚当
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:06 am

Adam Sisemore wrote:Edit: Also the website's been around for a while as far as I know at that site so it's unlikely it's some DNS type issue.

This stuff usually is DNS related.
If they move servers they can create DNS issues.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:50 pm

Can some recommend a good, basic website building software? I don't want too many bells and whistles, but I just got an email from someone who stumbled on my half-baked Cao poetry page (she was really nice and encouraging, but I felt embarrassed at how ugly it was!), and I've decided to start working on it again. However, I have a feeling that to make it look ok I'll need a lot more than Me + Notepad (well, pico, actually, since I was working on it via my university's unix account). And since I'm not ready to go take a course on webpage design, I figured that a program will be helpful.

I don't want to shell out big bucks for it, though, since it's really more of a backburner-of-the-backburner project, and I don't have any other projects lined up in the foreseeable future.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby James » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:47 pm

The only good basic web app I know of comes with iLife. Mac only. :(

Everything else ranges from $129 to $499.
(And the $129 program actually isn’t good at all).

I’m sure there are some good cheap programs out there, though.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:00 am

James wrote:The only good basic web app I know of comes with iLife. Mac only. :(

Everything else ranges from $129 to $499.
(And the $129 program actually isn’t good at all).

I’m sure there are some good cheap programs out there, though.

Ugh.

*opens Notepad*
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby Seven at One Stroke » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:09 am

Lady Wu wrote:*opens Notepad*

If you're only looking for an editor, try JEdit at www.jedit.org.
Moderation in pursuit of actual work is no vice.
Seven at One Stroke
Sei's Slave

Unread postby Jiang Yi » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:09 am

i wanna know how do you "put" skins on your forum or website or blog
" Think negetively to one thing and you will suceed"
Jiang Yi
Student

Unread postby Ricky » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:03 pm

I might be able to help a bit. I remember seeing your forum. You were using a IF board. There is actually a forum that help's you with that. Give me a sec...I'll edit and show you the link to it.

Edit: try Here for help. :)

As for the website, you have to find a place to host you.
First upload.
All hail to the lord!

Huo Hu
Ricky
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Foreign Kingdoms