Website (HTML/CSS/Design) Assistance Thread

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Unread postby James » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:57 am

Good job. Really.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Adam » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:16 pm

...my sarcasm detector has exploded. :P

Another question: does using php over HTML for websites help with compatibility problems between IE and Firefox?

My current main page looks fine but someone with IE told me it looks horrible and the text is covered up. Last time I made anything resembling a website there was only IE.

I'm also lazy and anything to aid in me not doing more work would be super.

Oh and the reason my ranks were showing up wrong is due to something I had added earlier and not fully removed (gods I'm retarded).
-亚当
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:02 pm

IE is the red-headed stepchild of the internet—except she somehow came into control of the kingdom. She has no education, no talent, no knack for politics or diplomacy. (Forgive me, Ranbir). Safari, Opera, Mozilla [Firefox]; they will generally work just fine as long as your code is standards compliant. Internet Explorer has strange problems that will challenge you for a while to come.

All you can really do is validate your pages, fix any validation issues. Think about what might be causing your issue in Internet Explorer and start playing with code. It is best to have some copy of Internet Explorer to test with. And when someone says the site is broken in Internet Explorer, you want to know both the OS and the version of IE.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Adam » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:41 am

I'll go into details later if need be...my head may explode if I do it tonight but here's my vague question:

Why in the blazing hell does text size appear so differently in IE?
I have my header for my site, it fits from the left side of Firefox's browser to the right.
In IE it goes from the left side but is only 3/4 of the way to the right side because the text size is about two points smaller (possibly 3).
Is there any general reason why it does it, and any non-specific way to fix it?

If there isn't I'll dig into my code tomorrow when my brain has reset itself.
-亚当
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:51 pm

IE may not be inheriting properly from the parent class (CSS). You may need to be more specific, declaring a font-size for that element directly. This should be easy if it has a class or ID; just change the CSS for that entry.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Wix The Great » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:00 pm

Ah, it is great we have standards for the net, such as HTML and CSS. Yet no standard way to render them.

On one project I worked on I actually had a script that checked the browser and loaded the CSS accordingly.
Wix The Great
3/3 of Wei World Order

Unread postby James » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:47 pm

Wix The Great wrote:Ah, it is great we have standards for the net, such as HTML and CSS. Yet no standard way to render them.

The standards generally go into precise detail as to how these things are supposed to be rendered. The discrepancy is born of different developers who are seemingly incapable of meeting said standards. Microsoft, for example, is unwilling to devote proper resources to completely fixing the CSS box model in Internet Explorer (IE 7 sort of hacks it together). This particular problem could be an issue with inheritance.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Adam » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:02 am

The program I was using to make said website (cause my god I get bored doing HTML) was defining the text size in percentages, so I had to go in and change it to define the text size in pixels, now it's coming out fine in IE...well ok as fine as it is in Firefox anyway.

What I absolutely DESPISE is the way IE takes my page and fits it into the window when it's resized without care for the way the page is supposed to look...you can end up with 12 rows of images and text instead of the two there's supposed to be. I hate to think how it looks one lower resolutions.
-亚当
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Justin » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:26 pm

Adam Sisemore wrote:The program I was using to make said website (cause my god I get bored doing HTML) was defining the text size in percentages, so I had to go in and change it to define the text size in pixels, now it's coming out fine in IE...well ok as fine as it is in Firefox anyway.

What I absolutely DESPISE is the way IE takes my page and fits it into the window when it's resized without care for the way the page is supposed to look...you can end up with 12 rows of images and text instead of the two there's supposed to be. I hate to think how it looks one lower resolutions.

The app I'm working on now is sized at 1200X700 (or whatever the standard size is close to that) for best look and feel. Everyone else gets the bone, period.
My Website

My Blog

The Dungeon

Trouble maker extraordinaire!
Justin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:34 am

Web design/development becomes much easier when we learn to embrace a viewer’s choice and preferences. It means not overriding their font sizes, locking out their screen sizes, or forcing other surprises on them in the name of design integrity. The internet is a vessel meant to transport information, after all, and other purposes are generally a secondary concern.

Exceptions are obviously appropriate when developing for a closed environment, but if it is for the open web one day you will find almost anything is possible—from people viewing the site through a 3" screen to someone using a 52" flat-screen LCD HDTV.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

PreviousNext

Return to Foreign Kingdoms