Cannot open up PDFs.

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Cannot open up PDFs.

Unread postby Cloud Strife » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:14 pm

Hello all, for awhile now, my PC does not open up PDFs. When I try to, my Firefox web browser just freezes and does not respond, thus forcing me to leave it and open up another Firefox. So, what's the problem and how can I fix this? Thanks in advance! :)
Hey guys, "Breaking Upwards" has been released at the IFC Center in New York! And at Laemmle Sunset 5 in LA! Come see it this weekend, April 10th-11th, to help it go nationwide! Thanks! http://www.breakingupwards.com
Cloud Strife
Scholar

Re: Cannot open up PDFs.

Unread postby Mikhail » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:02 pm

I might have had a similar problem before. Try, if you can, uninstalling/reinstalling your PDF reader.

If you are having the same problem as I did, there is something wrong with the core files themselves - though if I remember correctly, there might be some problems in doing uninstalling/reinstalling the program as well. I'm assuming if you save the PDF, you have no problem opening them right?
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Unread postby James » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:10 pm

Some PDF browser plugin is corrupt. A shot in the dark that may fix your problem is uninstalling (i/a) and re-installing Adobe Acrobat Reader. Failing that, figure out what browser plugin is trying to load, clear it out, and use something like Adobe Acrobat's PDF reader. If you are opening PDF documents from your computer, have them open with Adobe Acrobat Reader, not Firefox. Use browsers to view PDFs only when you encountered those PDFs while browsing.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Cloud Strife » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:53 am

I forgot to add, that this only happens when I click on a website link that leads to a PDF. I could open a PDF in my documents and it will open up fine in Adobe Reader 9.
Hey guys, "Breaking Upwards" has been released at the IFC Center in New York! And at Laemmle Sunset 5 in LA! Come see it this weekend, April 10th-11th, to help it go nationwide! Thanks! http://www.breakingupwards.com
Cloud Strife
Scholar

Unread postby Mikhail » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:15 pm

Cloud Strife wrote:I forgot to add, that this only happens when I click on a website link that leads to a PDF. I could open a PDF in my documents and it will open up fine in Adobe Reader 9.

Then its definitely the same problem I had a few years ago. Like it's been already been suggested, just uninstall/reinstall your Adobe Reader, and maybe even your Firefox.
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Unread postby Cloud Strife » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:42 pm

I uninstall and reinstall Adobe Reader, still didn't work. Did the same for Firefox and still didn't work. I found out that I can open PDFs in Internet Explorer fine.
Cloud Strife
Scholar

Return to Foreign Kingdoms