Google Wave

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Google Wave

Unread postby Ranbir » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:55 pm

I have 15 invites, who wants in to this e-mail/IM/that other thing/that OTHER thing combination platform thingamajig?

7 of those invites will come from a google account I don't use any more, so feel free to delete that from the contact list.
Last edited by Ranbir on Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Re: Google Wave

Unread postby Butters » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:41 pm

I'm game. Please PM me an invite code/link, if that's possible.
"Oh, boy! He's cheesed out of his mind!"
My YouTube channel | Megavideo backup
Butters
Master

Unread postby Ranbir » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:32 am

Just give me your e-mail.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Harimau » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:55 am

I have it right now... I'm not too sure of its utility though - seems to just be another distraction, like facebook!
If I'm posting here, it means I'm procrastinating.
Harimau
Shangshu Ling

Unread postby Ranbir » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:49 am

It needs to be able to receive and send, respectively, normal e-mails. Otherwise this does feel like a very gimmick IM program that requires a web browser.
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:36 am

I just thought I would check and see if anyone was using this, and lo and behold, here you are. I'm hearing a lot of hype about this thing, and I think I just found an invite in my mail box. From the sounds of things, you guys aren't too impressed. I don't like the Facebook comparison, considering I'm this close to closing down my Facebook account (and not on the grounds that it's a distraction... I just don't like its organization of personal information in an online social context).
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Ranbir » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:24 am

Well the first thing is, I don't have many friends that use gmail. Or they have it but they use MSN which leaves Wave being of no use to them.

Right now it's feeling like those "offline instant messages" you can send with MSN, with the change being it is through your browser and whomever you are "waving" with in a particular thread can edit your message box also. Oh and embedding google gadgets like their map or a Youtube. At the moment this just feels like a side show distraction and its main functions will only be of any benefit if a lot of people were using it.

As you can see from this thread, I've had to go beyond my friends and here to offer invites. Only had one request.
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Harimau » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:39 am

As Ranbir says, i'm sure that it'll be a lot more useful if there I had more friends using it. It just seems a bit too ahead of its time right now.

That being said, apparently there are some people on the netz running D&D games on it, so it appears that at least some people love it.
If I'm posting here, it means I'm procrastinating.
Harimau
Shangshu Ling

Unread postby Ranbir » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:23 pm

I found a use for the Wave!

I started a PBEM game of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri so the wave is a great platform for discussion AND sending the save file between each other.
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Ranbir » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:55 pm

Wave shutting down.
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Next

Return to Foreign Kingdoms