Printing from laptop.

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Printing from laptop.

Unread postby Cloud Strife » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:30 pm

I would like to print from my laptop, however, I have to have my PC turned on in order to do so. How may I print from my laptop without having to turn on my PC? Thanks in advance!
Hey guys, "Breaking Upwards" has been released at the IFC Center in New York! And at Laemmle Sunset 5 in LA! Come see it this weekend, April 10th-11th, to help it go nationwide! Thanks! http://www.breakingupwards.com
Cloud Strife
Scholar

Re: Printing from laptop.

Unread postby Ranbir » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:02 pm

Plug your printer into your laptop. USB connection I hope. Install the printer drivers on your laptop.

I guess laptops these days don't have printer parallel ports?
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Cloud Strife » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:50 pm

I was hoping to do this wireless. And I don't know what you meant by the other stuff.
Hey guys, "Breaking Upwards" has been released at the IFC Center in New York! And at Laemmle Sunset 5 in LA! Come see it this weekend, April 10th-11th, to help it go nationwide! Thanks! http://www.breakingupwards.com
Cloud Strife
Scholar

Unread postby Ranbir » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:17 pm

If wireless, you'll need a wireless router that allows you to connect the printer to it.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Cloud Strife » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:54 pm

The laptop is connected to the printer wireless. However, I need to turn on the PC for the printer to print.
Cloud Strife
Scholar

Unread postby Cloud Strife » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:05 am

Still can't print even with USB driver. Need help!
Cloud Strife
Scholar

Unread postby James » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:27 am

If you want to print wirelessly to your printer from your laptop the printer must be networked.

1) The printer may be connected to another computer, which must be on in order for you to print from another computer on the network. It seems this is your current configuration.

2) You have a network-ready printer, which is connected to a switch on or attached to your router by ethernet, or is connected wirelessly to your wireless router. These are expensive and rare in the consumer market. You probably don't have one.

3) Your router, wireless or otherwise (though this feature rarely appears on non-wireless routers) has a USB port for connecting a printer. Check your documentation to make sure this port is indeed for sharing a printer across a network. Some are only capable of sharing hard drives, for example. You will have to follow instructions provided with the router to configure network access. This feature appears in all Apple routers.

4) You will have to get a wired or wireless print server, which is a network device which you connect to your router-integrated or separately attached switch. Check your documentation as you may have to perform additional configuration steps for the print server to function. Once set up properly with a printer connected, you can connect across the network to the attached printer using your operating system's regular networking process.

Odds are you'll have to settle for #3 or #4 if #1 is unacceptable. I suggest buying an Apple router. They are extremely easy to configure on both Windows and Macintosh and offer excellent performance. For a small network an Airport Express is a great solution, but for larger networks, or if you want an integrated switch, gigabit ethernet, or wireless N, you can go with the Airport Extreme, which is one of the cheapest high-quality wireless N routers available. Stand-alone print servers tend to be expensive (relatively) and a pain in the ass.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Ranbir » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:43 am

If it is connected to the printer in a wireless network then the printer will have it's own ip thing.

You'll have to config the printer port on your laptop to connect to that standard TCP/IP port, rather than a typical LPT1.
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Cloud Strife » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:46 pm

James wrote:If you want to print wirelessly to your printer from your laptop the printer must be networked.

1) The printer may be connected to another computer, which must be on in order for you to print from another computer on the network. It seems this is your current configuration.

Odds are you'll have to settle for #3 or #4 if #1 is unacceptable. I suggest buying an Apple router. They are extremely easy to configure on both Windows and Macintosh and offer excellent performance. For a small network an Airport Express is a great solution, but for larger networks, or if you want an integrated switch, gigabit ethernet, or wireless N, you can go with the Airport Extreme, which is one of the cheapest high-quality wireless N routers available. Stand-alone print servers tend to be expensive (relatively) and a pain in the ass.

Number 1 is basically what I have, but its like, it works one day, but when I try the same exact steps the next, it doesn't work at all. If I do have to buy something, I'll get the Airport Express because it's the cheapest, basically...and even then, it's still a huge hit on my wallet...

When I print, the status of my printer says "Idle."

You see, I just went to my network, choose the printer connected to my PC, and it just printed out a test page. And now it doesn't.
Cloud Strife
Scholar

Unread postby James » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:43 pm

In your case I would search for some other tutorials on the subject and look for inconsistencies. I would also search for people attempting to do the same thing, or encountering similar problems, with the same printer. Sharing a printer across a network from an active computer should be a pretty consistent and reliable process.

Check all the obvious enemies. Make sure the printer is staying on, that it is connected, and that it is reporting no errors. If you cannot print over the network make sure you can print from the computer to narrow down the cause.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Next

Return to Foreign Kingdoms