Identifying my unrecognised graphcis card

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Identifying my unrecognised graphcis card

Unread postby talon1579 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:57 pm

So basically I formatted (or returned to factory settings - mostly equiv) and now have no graphics card drivers, so my comp wont recognise the card (catch-22, yay).

Unfortunately I cant remember whether I have a Radeon X1600 or 1650. I'm leaning towards 1650 for some reason.

Will I cause a problem If I install the wrong drivers? Is the model number visible without taking the card out of its slot?

I might just have to call up PC world...
talon1579
Changshi

Re: Identifying my unrecognised graphcis card

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:44 am

Whether the model number is visible from the slot depends on where it is on the card and how spacious your PC's innards are. You can always just power down the comp, remove the card, and get the number, then put it back in.

More simply, from what I can tell on ATI's site, their most recent display drivers are valid for both series, the x1600 and x1650. The install program will determine which your card is and install the relevant drivers.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Re: Identifying my unrecognised graphcis card

Unread postby James » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:43 pm

There are programs such as "Unknown Devices" which allow you to detect unknown drivers.

That said, LYT's solution is best here. Just install the Radeon driver from ATI's site which supports the card(s) you think may be installed. If the card is not supported the ATI installer will probably tell you so. If it installs anyway, but doesn't work, you can just uninstall it. At worst you reboot to a driver BSoD, which you can solve by re-booting into safe mode and uninstalling it.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Return to Foreign Kingdoms