A New Rig

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

A New Rig

Unread postby Bryan » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:01 pm

Okay, so I've had my old premade HP for about 6 years now, and am now in a position to buy a new computer. Of course, not knowing a thing about computers, I've turned to an acquaintance of a friend to help me put one together.The guy has given me a list of what he can throw together for my budget, and everything seems fine so far. Only thing is, I don't have the slightest clue about these things. Any comments from those in the know would be appreciated.

Here's the list he sent me:
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4670 100256L Video Card
SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Antec P182 Gun Metal Black Computer Case
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders
CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Antec EA650 650W Power Supply
Foxconn A79A-S ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0GHz Black Edition Quad-core Processor

Would just like to state again that I'm just trying to get an idea for what he's proposing to build, and if any of these have major drawbacks (save the Vista jokes).
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
Discover Tolkien!
Bryan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: A New Rig

Unread postby Baiko Arashi » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:18 pm

Bryan wrote:Okay, so I've had my old premade HP for about 6 years now, and am now in a position to buy a new computer. Of course, not knowing a thing about computers, I've turned to an acquaintance of a friend to help me put one together.The guy has given me a list of what he can throw together for my budget, and everything seems fine so far. Only thing is, I don't have the slightest clue about these things. Any comments from those in the know would be appreciated.

Here's the list he sent me:
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4670 100256L Video Card
SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Antec P182 Gun Metal Black Computer Case
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders
CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Antec EA650 650W Power Supply
Foxconn A79A-S ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0GHz Black Edition Quad-core Processor

Would just like to state again that I'm just trying to get an idea for what he's proposing to build, and if any of these have major drawbacks (save the Vista jokes).

Sorry didnt see your post until now but... your hard drive is great... SATA is what you want. Same with RAM. Try to find out if you can upgrade it beyond 4 gigs ( Though 4gb is still great ). Wonderful processor.... Your basically going to have a kickass computer put together... your budget is either really high or your friend is a computer version of a drug dealer.
eh, ill find something witty to put here later.

Nothing do your mortal soul.
Arashi Baiko
Combat: 100
Command: 85
Charisma: 75
Intelligence: 70
Baiko Arashi
Prison Warden of SoSZ

Return to Foreign Kingdoms