Microsoft Windows 7

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Microsoft Windows 7

Unread postby James » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:36 pm

I'm surprised there's no topic on this. :)

There is now!

A look into the development of Vista and Windows 7.
Still sounds like a hefty bureaucracy, but sounds promising as compared to Vista!
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Re: Microsoft Windows 7

Unread postby Ranbir » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:56 am

It should be 64-bit only.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Harimau » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:25 am

With better UAC management... That thing peeves me off. Every time I log in, I have to type in my password four times for four start up programs...
If I'm posting here, it means I'm procrastinating.
Harimau
Shangshu Ling

Unread postby James » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:45 am

As much as I dislike Windows, that sounds like a bug to me.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Dekirh » Fri May 01, 2009 5:11 am

Anyone knows how I can go about converting my Vista to 7 when they release it on 5th May?
The death of one paves the way for another.
Dekirh
Academic

Unread postby James » Fri May 01, 2009 5:30 am

I'm sure they'll have a convoluted upgrade system in place. :)

Are you sure you want to upgrade that quickly? I know Vista is a pain, but you might want to wait a little while after the official release to make sure there are no huge surprises? I think pretty much any company has to deal with some of that when they release a major OS revision.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Dekirh » Fri May 01, 2009 6:45 am

It isn't so much that Vista is a pain, but that I've heard that 7 is very good.
Dekirh
Academic

Unread postby James » Fri May 01, 2009 8:10 am

Dekirh wrote:It isn't so much that Vista is a pain, but that I've heard that 7 is very good.

It is shaping up to be a heck of a lot better than Vista. Still not as fast as ol' outdated XP, though. :(
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Dekirh » Wed May 06, 2009 4:04 pm

Darn, I didn't realise before that when I dual boot, I can't use the programs on Vista (Well, firefox worked, but I had to reinstall Windows Live Messenger). I have no real use for any OS without Microsoft Office. I don't think the helpdesk guys at school will take help me get Microsoft Office on 7 either, there is this thing about one installation at a time and I just went there today because I got an error partitioning my drive.

I guess I'll switch 7 on if I'm not doing school work to see how it goes, but it's pretty annoying having to remake my bookmarks on my browser. Sure, I could probably type most urls, but most is not all and arranging them is a pain. Maybe I should just type them from now on.

It's really killing me to be without Microsoft Office. The main reason I wanted to get 7 was that it starts up and shuts down much faster, so it's more convenient for me when I need to setup and pack up before and after class.

I don't get why Microsoft feels like they have to mess with the taskbar every version. Really, it isn't better or worse either way, but it just puts people off before they adjust.

Edit - Well, I got Microsoft Office. Those guys are actually helpful now.
Dekirh
Academic

Unread postby Dekirh » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:53 am

Bump. Some comments.

Well, it starts up and shuts down significantly faster than Vista, probably within a minute, but I can't compare because my Vista has a lot of preinstalled laptop software and would naturally take longer. The OS may not be better, but it is better for me because of my situation.

I've learnt to use the taskbar more, but I still don't feel that it is better. Just different. The only thing I had an issue with was that there is no quicklaunch for my main folder. I pinned it to my start menu and added it as a toolbar, but it's not quite the same. It takes a little more effort.

The UAC seems to be more paranoid than before. I've kept the same settings, but a game that I've played suddenly went to needing verification when it hasn't ever needed it before. It's rather annoying especially when I feel like opening multiple instances of the game.

I'm not sure if my installation or the OS is the problem, but it gets pretty damn annoying when, after I minimise or close all other windows, my Windows Live Messenger will open up. Are they forcing me to use the show desktop button or something?
Dekirh
Academic

Next

Return to Foreign Kingdoms