Can't open up a .DOC file...need quick help!

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Can't open up a .DOC file...need quick help!

Unread postby Cloud Strife » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:01 pm

A professor has sent me a syllabus but it doesn't open up in AdobeReader 9. It says "AdobeReader could not open 'Economics' because it is not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an e-mail attached and wasn't correctly decoded).

I can read some of it in WordPad but there are A LOT of symbols to be found through out. So, I urgently ask for help because I'm starting University today. Thanks in advance!
Hey guys, "Breaking Upwards" has been released at the IFC Center in New York! And at Laemmle Sunset 5 in LA! Come see it this weekend, April 10th-11th, to help it go nationwide! Thanks! http://www.breakingupwards.com
Cloud Strife
Scholar

Re: Can't open up a .DOC file...need quick help!

Unread postby James » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:55 pm

You need to use Microsoft Word.
Or you can use an alternative like OpenOffice.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Cloud Strife » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:12 am

For some reason, it opens on my labtop's Microsoft Word but not on my computer. Microsoft Word on my computer says it can't open it.
Hey guys, "Breaking Upwards" has been released at the IFC Center in New York! And at Laemmle Sunset 5 in LA! Come see it this weekend, April 10th-11th, to help it go nationwide! Thanks! http://www.breakingupwards.com
Cloud Strife
Scholar

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:11 am

Cloud Strife wrote:For some reason, it opens on my labtop's Microsoft Word but not on my computer. Microsoft Word on my computer says it can't open it.

It could be because your copy of Word is too old to hand the file. Or it could be because it was embedded weird in the email.

Check which version the Word is on your computer. Then, when you have the file opened on your... labtop (lab computer? laptop computer?), use the "Save As" function to save the file in the format/version of that of your computer.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Return to Foreign Kingdoms