Apple iPhone

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Apple iPhone

Unread postby James » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:19 pm

I thought we had a topic for this thing?

So today was the official launch date for the new 3G iPhone in a multitude of countries across the world. Despite being a huge fan of this product, I wanted nothing to do with an Apple Store today. I know what these events are like. Apple, in addition to launching the 3G, also allowed the OS 2.0 upgrade for previous iPhones (sort of like an OS update for your computer) and enabled their new MobileMe service (synchronization and availability of your media across computers and available on the 'net).

The 3G iPhone was supposed to be activated in the store on purchase. If not, you have to activate it through the iTunes server at home. Older iPhones require re-activation (through iTunes) when you upgrade them to the new OS. MobileMe, the iTunes AppStore, and other services now available also all require processing power on their servers. At least a few hundred-thousand iPhones are being sold, hundreds of thousands of additional people are upgrading their iPhone. Apple's servers, through a failure to anticipate demand, or through chained failures, have all but gone down, and people are being inconvenienced for hours in line, or waiting to activate their phones in the comfort of their own homes. Fear! Dread! They might be inconvenienced for hours longer while things are sorted out!

You should see what these whiney children sound like in the discussion forums. It is times like this that I am embarrassed to be associated with them. You'd think Apple had just kidnapped their wife and children -- forced their daughter out on the street to turn tricks. I guess some good comes of it. Apple is probably the only electronics company in the world that steadily improves inconveniences in their products after they are released. If HP releases a laptop that runs hot they shrug it off and (maybe) improve the next model. If Apple releases a laptop which runs warm their users cry and Apple makes the thing run cool enough that you can sit with it for hours in your bed.

Popularity is a mixed blessing. Steve must want to strangle his customers at times.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Re: Apple iPhone

Unread postby Ranbir » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:55 pm

It is because Steve plays the 'nice guy that is on our side'. So it isn't expected his stuff does anything that causes inconvenience. That's what he gets! :)
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Harimau » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:31 am

I'm actually sorely tempted to get an iPhone - mainly to use with the MobileMe service they have. But with the latter on ice right now, i'm putting off the purchase until later on. Fortunately, my sister purchased one, so i've been able to play with it quite a bit.

It's a good little gizmo... Sooo desirable.

James, did you get one?
If I'm posting here, it means I'm procrastinating.
Harimau
Shangshu Ling

Unread postby James' iPhone » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:34 pm

Yeah, I'm writing this, on a 3G network, on my iPhone, while on vacation. It serves me well. Never have I owned such a cool electronic device. The AppStore just takes it to a whole new level.
James' iPhone
Initiate

Unread postby Shu Ryorin » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:31 pm

James' iPhone wrote:Yeah, I'm writing this, on a 3G network, on my iPhone, while on vacation. It serves me well. Never have I owned such a cool electronic device. The AppStore just takes it to a whole new level.

Well, it's apparently cool enough for our exalted webmaster to give his it's own member account! :lol:
"Only dummies call people dummy, dummy!"
-some fairy in "Breath of Fire III"

Grad school is hard, you guys.
Shu Ryorin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Canada, wandering the less-frozen-than-Alaska-but-still-cold wastes of grad school

Unread postby Foif » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:29 am

James' iPhone wrote:Yeah, I'm writing this, on a 3G network, on my iPhone, while on vacation. It serves me well. Never have I owned such a cool electronic device. The AppStore just takes it to a whole new level.

Must agree.

Ive never actually been on a 3G before, but ive used the old one that my friend has [Only because he wants it with T-Mobile], and i must say its really nice. I am hoping though, to get an iTouch soon.

Have you gotten the Shazam app? Possibly the coolest, most awesome-est app ever. Surprised its free actually, but just adds to its coolness.
Foif
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:38 am

Apple's probably going to refresh the iTouch lineup in less than a month. :)

Shazaam kicks ass. I use it all the time. I've been able to use the program to identify music playing in rowdy restaurants, even with conversation going on around me in loud tones. Sometimes it takes a few tries in those environments, but it impresses me time and time again. There are some other really really cool apps. My favorite, hands down, has got to be Pandora, though. I listen to Pandora through that app all day long at work. It has single-handedly inspired a whole new interest in music for me.

As a matter of fact, I've spent my entire day cleaning up my house with Pandora blasting in the background on my computer. Whenever a good song comes along I acquire it so I can enjoy it later on my iPhone. I do the same thing all day through at my job. My music collection is growing quickly, and I'm loving it.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Foif » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:30 am

James wrote:Apple's probably going to refresh the iTouch lineup in less than a month. :)

Shazaam kicks ass. I use it all the time. I've been able to use the program to identify music playing in rowdy restaurants, even with conversation going on around me in loud tones. Sometimes it takes a few tries in those environments, but it impresses me time and time again. There are some other really really cool apps. My favorite, hands down, has got to be Pandora, though. I listen to Pandora through that app all day long at work. It has single-handedly inspired a whole new interest in music for me.

As a matter of fact, I've spent my entire day cleaning up my house with Pandora blasting in the background on my computer. Whenever a good song comes along I acquire it so I can enjoy it later on my iPhone. I do the same thing all day through at my job. My music collection is growing quickly, and I'm loving it.

Pandora, Last.fm and all the other online radios that they've imported to iPhone, i must say are truly among the better if not best apps of the iPhone.
But yes, although i dont have an iPhone, i would buy one for the SOLE reason of Shazam [besides the fact that the iPhone is just awesomeness in definition], because many times, and i think almost ANYONE that listens to the radio feels the same: You hear a song on the radio and you're just dying to know what it is, but nope, no telling. Thats the main reason i stopped listening to the radio actually haha.

You gotta love Pandora too though, 2 summers ago, when i decided to take a summer class i had pandora playing all the time on the computer during class. From then on, i was in love with them all, although im more of a last.fm. Gotta love the internet radios, beats normal radios by lightyears.

And on the subject of iTouch's, unfortunetly i wont be getting a new one [My sister won one, and she has an iPhone as well lol], but hey, after losing my 80gb classic [which i was using as an external, and lost a bunch of data along with it], im welcome to it. One question though, ive heard that Shazam works for the iTouch and ive also heard it doesnt, would you happen to know if it does?
Foif
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:42 am

I've seen online radios, but what I love about Pandora is the amazing way in which it can find new music which you love. Last FM uses user preferences to evaluate like music, which is awesome, but Pandora goes further with their incredible song analysis. Some of my clients suggested it to me (isn’t it strange when the computer tutor is advised on internet trends by clients?) but it took me a while to get around to it. Now, while I'm exercising, I can even listen to it. There's also a program that allows me to stream any content from my iTunes music library to my iPhone. What a freckin’ cool toy this thing is!

I knew something like Shazaam would be appearing because other cellular phones have been advertising features like this for a number of years now (and if my ability to comprehend time in what is apparently my 'old age' is consistent, the 'two years ago' it seems I've seen those ads is probably more like six years ago). I first saw it as a feature on a Verizon phone. I doubt, though, that it worked anywhere near as well as Shazaam works now. There's another called Midomi which you can actually sing or hum music to, and it will find the song. Both are free.

Shazaam needs an internet connection to work. The program basically takes an audio sample and then submits it to the Shazaam servers (or some other server) where server-side technology evaluates the music against a database, and then delivers the music back to your iPhone. As such, it may not work without an internet connection. I imagine you would be able to use your iTouch as long as you had a wifi signal? But that won't be too helpful in the car or in many restaurants. I'm not sure if Midomi has similar requirements.

I can honestly say the iPhone is the first electronic device I've ever owned that consistently brings me oodles of joy. Having a Macintosh computer is the runner up. Buying one for $299 seems like such a steal to me (especially when the plans are competitive). I've always enjoyed music but this goofy toy takes it to a whole new level. And then there's all the other capabilities the thing has and the impact they have on other areas of my life, be it professional need or pleasure.

I take it you are going to inherit the iTouch in question?
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Foif » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:55 am

James wrote:I've seen online radios, but what I love about Pandora is the amazing way in which it can find new music which you love. Last FM uses user preferences to evaluate like music, which is awesome, but Pandora goes further with their incredible song analysis. Some of my clients suggested it to me (isn’t it strange when the computer tutor is advised on internet trends by clients?) but it took me a while to get around to it. Now, while I'm exercising, I can even listen to it. There's also a program that allows me to stream any content from my iTunes music library to my iPhone. What a freckin’ cool toy this thing is!

Hmm, well i must say its been quite a while since i've used Pandora, think ill give it some more time. And can you stream from any location, or is it just in a general range? Im guessing through internet..

James wrote:I knew something like Shazaam would be appearing because other cellular phones have been advertising features like this for a number of years now (and if my ability to comprehend time in what is apparently my 'old age' is consistent, the 'two years ago' it seems I've seen those ads is probably more like six years ago). I first saw it as a feature on a Verizon phone. I doubt, though, that it worked anywhere near as well as Shazaam works now. There's another called Midomi which you can actually sing or hum music to, and it will find the song. Both are free.

Yeah, i'd heard of them before, but never had a chance to try them. Im not sure if they can work as fast. In the car, Shazam took around 10 seconds or so to determine the song. Quite the feat to me.

James wrote:Shazaam needs an internet connection to work. The program basically takes an audio sample and then submits it to the Shazaam servers (or some other server) where server-side technology evaluates the music against a database, and then delivers the music back to your iPhone. As such, it may not work without an internet connection. I imagine you would be able to use your iTouch as long as you had a wifi signal? But that won't be too helpful in the car or in many restaurants. I'm not sure if Midomi has similar requirements.

Well, i listen to the radio at home when im playing a game or something, so im depending on it then. I just use CD's mainly in the car or my [old] iPod.

James wrote:I can honestly say the iPhone is the first electronic device I've ever owned that consistently brings me oodles of joy. Having a Macintosh computer is the runner up. Buying one for $299 seems like such a steal to me (especially when the plans are competitive). I've always enjoyed music but this goofy toy takes it to a whole new level. And then there's all the other capabilities the thing has and the impact they have on other areas of my life, be it professional need or pleasure.

Hehe, i hope the iTouch gives me the same. Seeing as my closest friend has had both the iTouch and the iPhone, i think i can confidently say ill know what i'll be getting [hopefully], and ill be really happy with both :)
And agreed with the Mac, and now that i finally have an external [my HDD has been nearly full for a while now], i can use it even more!

James wrote:I take it you are going to inherit the iTouch in question?

Thats what im hoping and what she says :mrgreen:
Foif
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Foreign Kingdoms