Bill Gates

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Re: Bill Gates

Unread postby Ranbir » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:58 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HiEh_Qtxy4

I'm a PC and I have a beard. Took its time but what a brilliant response.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby James » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:38 pm

Ranbir wrote:I'm a PC and I have a beard. Took its time but what a brilliant response.

Apple creates the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" campaign to display themselves as a special alternative to the generic PC.

Microsoft creates the "I'm a PC" campaign to portray the PC as the perfect generic solution.

Wait... what?

FAIL.

I guess it is better than the advertising campaign about nothing they were running before.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Foif » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:27 am

Ranbir wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HiEh_Qtxy4

I'm a PC and I have a beard. Took its time but what a brilliant response.

I enjoyed the commercial, but agreed with James.

This commercial is a bit annoying though, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igSlM3tl2zE

Windows Mojave is actually Vista :O
Foif
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:25 am

It's a great ad. It isn't intentionally having to put down another in an attempt to big up itself. I always found that rather pretentious and well, annoying. It's why the Mac ads didn't go down as well in the UK. It created an image of Mac (and owners) as being smug, preening condescending tossers.

Unlike Apple's "looking down at you', this advert was incredibly positive. Showing all types of people that can be related to.

Look at the sweeping variety of people. That's the point, there. PCs aren't (for) the generic "office" workers that like spreadsheets, the typical line that Apple can only seem to attempt to distinguish themselves. Or, with the Gruber thinking. That the PC, itself, is only capable of such limited things. That mathematician is a PC owner, that schoolteacher, that hip hop artist, that beard, that shark diver, that guy that likes to take photos of burgers; all of them are PC(users). Not simply the stereotype office worker Apple would have you believe. PC are much more than that, and in the usual case far more interesting!

Gruber is getting so picky over the "brand" is pretty silly. But understandable. This is the only thing Apple has. The brand that helps define what you can be and do. My PC doesn't define me, I define it. That's the point. Those people are all different. No brand is defining them. The mere twist is, MS have taken that popular phrase and merely exploded it. This ad campaign does a good job of countering the Mac bandwagoning implications that people who use PCs are somehow missing something by not being with the "cool crowd" - or the "Brand" as Gruber would describe it.

And swinging back to the first paragraph that's why we cynics found the mac ads a bit smug and condescending, we hate smug and condescending as if the Apply brand is a community and a unique way of life that we must be a part of because our PC life is dull and filled with spreadsheets.

I mean, honestly. Seeing all those various interesting people from different walks of life...your first reaction to such variety is "They are generic! It is merely reinforcing the stereotype from Mac ads that all PC users are the same." Really?

Also, I want more Seinfeld.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby James » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:06 am

Ooo... touché! :lol:

Ranbir wrote:Also, I want more Seinfeld.

Microsoft cut him prematurely, it seems. There was supposed to be at least a third commercial, but it was never released.* I wonder if it has something to do with his well-publicized fondness for Macintosh? Seinfeld had Macintosh computers littered all about at his preference—poor Microsoft. And now with their "I'm a PC" commercial series it was discovered that they are developed on Macintosh. This is no surprise as it was an advertising firm that produced the ads, but that's making regular rounds about the internet now.

* I'm sure that didn't change his $10 million paycheck!

I wish they'd devote some of this money and energy into making a better product.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Ranbir » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:23 am

Except James, people would have to pay a lot more for that scenario (The expensive Mac itself plus the expensive OS!). Is anyone really willing to do that? And see how smug that was?* How typical of you branded! :p

Microsoft cut him prematurely, it seems. There was supposed to be at least a third commercial, but it was never released.* I wonder if it has something to do with his well-publicized fondness for Macintosh? Seinfeld had Macintosh computers littered all about at his preference—poor Microsoft. And now with their "I'm a PC" commercial series it was discovered that they are developed on Macintosh. This is no surprise as it was an advertising firm that produced the ads, but that's making regular rounds about the internet now.

I liked them all, the whole MS ads have a feel-good vibe which I don't think can really be knocked - regardless of . It is a bit picky about what the ad agency uses to develop their work but I don't think that matters, although given the message the latest ad gives that we, the user, define what the PC is and can do, it really doesn't matter about what computer did what. Something Gruber didn't understand; *The user is important, not the machine. The ad showed; These are the people that make the PC what it is, not what the PC made them. I think MS really needs to push on with this and follow it through because that is the kind of message people people feel empowered with, not talked down to.
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby James » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:16 pm

Ranbir wrote:Except James, people would have to pay a lot more for that scenario (The expensive Mac itself plus the expensive OS!). Is anyone really willing to do that? And see how smug that was?* How typical of you branded! :p

With a few exceptions (e.g. entry-level Macbook) the prices are brutally competitive. Some Macs (e.g. Mac Pro) are not available from generic PC vendors at lower prices with comparable specs and can't even be built at a competitive price. And that doesn't even get into the bundled software and quality of hardware. Your myth does not equate to reality. :)

And there's nothing expensive about Apple's OS compared to Windows.

Apple just doesn't sell bargain basement PCs.

Ranbir wrote:I liked them all, the whole MS ads have a feel-good vibe which I don't think can really be knocked - regardless of . It is a bit picky about what the ad agency uses to develop their work but I don't think that matters, although given the message the latest ad gives that we, the user, define what the PC is and can do, it really doesn't matter about what computer did what. Something Gruber didn't understand; *The user is important, not the machine. The ad showed; These are the people that make the PC what it is, not what the PC made them. I think MS really needs to push on with this and follow it through because that is the kind of message people people feel empowered with, not talked down to.

That's an interesting message to take from it... but it is not true at all.
A chef is not going to prefer a poor China-made knife to a quality blade made in Germany. No amount of marketing can change the actual quality of the product used. If Microsoft can convey that the quality of your product doesn't matter one bit, and that simply having the product is all that matters, that will make for a successful ad--but they're only going to be winning over their existing base of customers. People who care about the quality of their PC don't give a damn about these ads--they care about the quality of their PC. They are looking at the specifications of computers on the sales floor and asking what a better video card means for their family, or what that Macintosh offers that WIndows doesn't.

Everyone else goes shopping to 'buy a PC'. eMachines is there waiting!
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Ranbir » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:26 pm

That's an interesting message to take from it... but it is not true at all.

Of course it is. I'm the average joe, that's the message it gave.

but they're only going to be winning over their existing base of customers.

I could say that for the Mac ads. - It is fair to say the popular iPod wave was far more significant for the boost in the Apple brand as a whole.
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby James » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:56 pm

Ranbir wrote:Of course it is. I'm the average joe, that's the message it gave.

I'm not talking about the message... I'm talking about the actual meaning of that message. :lol:

Ranbir wrote:I could say that for the Mac ads. - It is fair to say the popular iPod wave was far more significant for the boost in the Apple brand as a whole.

There's not much contesting the influence of Apple ads.
There aren't many companies out there that advertise anywhere near as effectively as Apple does.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Previous

Return to Foreign Kingdoms