Apple Inc. and Products: General Discussion

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Apple Inc. and Products: General Discussion

Unread postby James » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:27 am

General thread for Apple Inc. and its products.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:31 am

To Mr. Kong and other Apple users:

Do any of you use the Mighty Mouse?

I tried it a while ago and eventually returned it in complete frustration. I actually returned it twice. So many people love these things. I want to love this thing. The scroll-ball-thing is amazing, and is the most natural scrolling solution I have ever seen in any product. I want to love it for that reason alone. But...

The right-click. For some reason I just seem to go through patches of time where it just doesn't work consistently. I find myself trying to press on the extreme right-hand side of the mouse to make it register, and I find my old-school habit of using CTRL for a right-hand click comes into play commonly. That is extremely natural for me after so many years of Apple laptops, but it seems wrong to want that with an Apple mouse.

Do any of you have problems with this?

I'm playing with a Mighty Mouse again because my Microsoft super-mouse died on me earlier (first time that has ever happened to me before). I couldn't find the same mouse in stores so I decided to give this a shot. James is not pleased.

(And yeah, right now, of course, it is working perfectly).
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Ranbir » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:53 pm

So I can't redownload my purchases from itunes. Will have to manually move them from the computer I orginally downloaded to.

No wonder James you asked if HL2 was only a once install and done thing. I thought Apple were meant to make life easy and fun. Not difficult and annoying.

I suppose I should have seen this coming but with all the feelgood of these guys I didn't think this would be an issue. I always ready having to accept the limited number of authorizations possible.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:51 pm

James wrote:Do any of you use the Mighty Mouse?

No. I tried one in a store somewhere and decided that the tiny scroll ball would take some getting used to (I kept pressing it when I tried to scroll side-to-side). I decided I'd just wait until my current mouse breaks or dies before investing $60 in a new one.

Although when I get my iMac it'll probably come with a MM. Wireless. :)
"If I had to do my life over, I would change every single thing I have done."
— Raymond Douglas Davies, 1967
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:18 pm

I'm using iTunes now that I see what a great selection they have (more than 15 Ed Kuepper albums alone!) at very tolerable prices. Much better than paying $25 to Amazon for an Aussie import cd.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:07 am

iTunes is great, I've found it easy to use which is saying alot s I'm a computer noob. However my uncle had a MM nd when I was t his house I loved it but I supose it's just a mtter of opinion.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:37 pm

Ranbir wrote:So I can't redownload my purchases from itunes. Will have to manually move them from the computer I orginally downloaded to. […] No wonder James you asked if HL2 was only a once install and done thing. I thought Apple were meant to make life easy and fun. Not difficult and annoying.

Yep! This is the sort of reason why I asked that question. Whenever I download anything off the internet I keep an archive of it. Programs, files, music, whatever. Even the companies that do offer re-downloads tend to be very difficult to deal with once the time comes (I don’t know how many of my customers, now, have re-purchased programs like Norton AntiVirus because they had to reformat their computer without store-purchased product discs).

I’m really not a fan of the iTMS, but I like it more than any other online store at this time. I dislike it only because of the DRM. I do not want to have any restrictions at all on the music I have on my computer. Consequently, I have only downloaded two albums from the iTMS since it was first announced. I love the slightly more expensive no-DRM music they are sharing now, and that I really would be happy to buy, but so far it hasn’t been available for the albums I have been interested in. The two albums I did buy were particularly rare, and I could not find them anywhere else at a reasonable price.

It is easy to get around the DRM. Burn to CD and re-rip. But that does drop the music quality somewhat.

I don’t blame Apple. They’ve done a stunning job of making the iTMS accessible and easy to use, and they’ve got a great track-record of backing their customers when something goes wrong. The music industry just makes things a massive pain in the ass with its insistence on DRM. Fortunately this seems to be changing. iTMS has a good no-DRM selection, and competitor Amazon has an even bigger collection (probably because the music industry is afraid of Apple’s market share). That will balance out, though, and this will become more universal in time. I believe... I hope.

Liu Yuante wrote:I'm using iTunes now that I see what a great selection they have (more than 15 Ed Kuepper albums alone!) at very tolerable prices. Much better than paying $25 to Amazon for an Aussie import cd.

Yeah, it sure is great for that.
I do routinely look there when I'm searching for a rare album.

Kong Wen wrote:No. I tried one in a store somewhere and decided that the tiny scroll ball would take some getting used to (I kept pressing it when I tried to scroll side-to-side). I decided I'd just wait until my current mouse breaks or dies before investing $60 in a new one.

Ah... it really might be just me. I've worked with dozens of people who have wireless mighty mice (haha) and not a one of them has actually replaced the device. As for the scrolling nub, I adore that feature. It is a pleasure to use. And the center click is also smooth and easy to use. I imagine you'll grow into them quickly.

It is the right-click that bothers me. Nobody else seems to have this issue! Or perhaps I haven't looked well enough to find out. It has been behaving pretty consistently for me. Frequently enough that it is still on my desk despite nearly being replaced two days ago. I also don't use the press-in click from the sides... it feels to me like it needs too much pressure.

Perhaps I've just been doing very precise work in Photoshop for so long that I get picky. I'm also a connoisseur of mice (hehe!) and have spent far too much money on them. My spare mice are nicer than many of the mice even gamers have.

I have a feeling Apple will make this product wonderful when it next revises it, but there's no telling when that will happen. Apple doesn't do those things very often.

Surprisingly, I am falling in love with the new Apple keyboard.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Ranbir » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:03 am

EMI, the first to offer no DRM, they've had to fire a lot of people recently.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3584897.stm

No suggesting a connection, just interesting.

You won't have to worry with Steam, atleast. Or any gaming digital distribution service.

And please try the game already. :)

P.S. If you feel like gifting something in return don't hesitate, cough cough.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Foif » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:12 pm

Ill agree with you on the Might Mouse statement, James.

Although, its kinda the opposite for me. I really dislike the scroll wheel, but i love the buttons.
Foif
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:14 pm

Ranbir wrote:P.S. If you feel like gifting something in return don't hesitate, cough cough.

I'll have a look at how that works. I've never gifted someone through Steam.

Foif wrote:Ill agree with you on the Might Mouse statement, James.

Although, its kinda the opposite for me. I really dislike the scroll wheel, but i love the buttons.

Oh man... how can you dislike that thing? It takes a little bit of getting used to, and it behaved a little strangely in some of the programs I was using. I remember the first time I was using it I was frustrated with its lack of accelerated scrolling. This time around I turned up scrolling speed really high, and to use it effectively I had to use it very carefully. I'm used to stuff like that because I have to do very selective work in Photoshop.

Either way, I did finally give up. Now my trusty Microsoft mouse is at my desk again.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Next

Return to Foreign Kingdoms