Apple Inc. and Products: General Discussion

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Unread postby Foif » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:45 pm

Well, it may be that ive never actually bought them, only used it in the store, but now im used to manually going and scrolling down. [Scroll wheel is messed up].

And in photoshop, i usually dont need to scroll down, but if i do, i usually zoom out, unless i have to do detailed work. I hate not being able to see everything im working on.
Foif
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:57 pm

Foif wrote:Haha, i was guessing. The Macbook that i got, came with 1gb, but ill soon upgrade it to 4gb. Its really sad when you see that upgrading it yourself to 4gb is almost 50 dollars less expensive then getting them to upgrade it to 2gb. :/

Once you get that much, ill have to say, that is one beast. And for the storage, im guessing an external drive? If so, what model and size? Ive been thinking about, seeing as 160gb is going down a bit too quickly for me.

Continuing from the other thread so my cohorts don't pester me for spamming. :P

Hell yes I would upgrade the Macbook to 4 GBs RAM. Memory for the Macbook is sooooo cheap! Buy from Crucial.com to get some really high quality RAM for a very low price. I never buy RAM from Apple (same applies to all the other computer manufacturers) because they mark it up so much. Apple usually uses Micron memory, and Crucial is the commercial name for Micron chips. Very high quality stuff, costs half the price when you buy Crucial instead of Micron.

RAM for the Mac Pro I am getting is more brutal. Even at extremely low prices my 8 GB RAM upgrade will still cost about $440. It is just extremely high-end RAM with crazy large heatsinks. The sort you might normally put in a very high end server workstation. 8 GBs (total) from Apple costs an additional $1500 (gwah!) so I won't even consider going through them. 32 GBs RAM from Apple costs about $9100, while I can get that for something like $1500. 10 GBs will be far more than enough, though.

I've got external drives, but when I get the Mac Pro I'll be doing almost everything internally. It has four drive bays so I might as well. If I wanted to really go nuts I could get two Raptors and put them in a RAID 0 array (imagine the speed!) while doing backups with Time Machine, or to another drive in a RAID 1 array. More than likely I'll just put the OS and programs on the Raptor, data on another drive, and Time Machine for backup. If you're in the market for a good drive it is best to get one of those new 32 MBs Cache enterprise-class hard drives. You'll be spending a little over $200 if you bargain hunt a little. Modern technology has them performing almost as well as the Raptor in many tasks although they still run at 7,200 RPM. I wonder what the Raptor will do when Western Digital updates it with modern technology?

For laptops, I would research the 7,200 RPM drives from Hitachi and other manufacturers. Check for data transfer speed, noise level, and heat. You want to make sure it doesn't put out too much heat. Noise is up to you. When I got my Macbook I put in a 7,000 RPM drive from Hitachi which performed at the top of its class in nearly every category. Runs like a dream!

Foif wrote:Well, it may be that ive never actually bought them, only used it in the store, but now im used to manually going and scrolling down. [Scroll wheel is messed up].

I love scrolling with the mouse. I know how to do it very well with the keyboard. It just seems to me the keyboard requires more effort when I'm lounging about than the mouse. When I'm working, though, the keyboard gets used for just about everything.

Foif wrote:And in photoshop, i usually dont need to scroll down, but if i do, i usually zoom out, unless i have to do detailed work. I hate not being able to see everything im working on.

I zoom in and out constantly in Photoshop. The only time I ever really scroll around is when I'm working on a large graphic, up close, and slowly moving across (e.g. while restoring a photograph). Even then I tend to use the grab tool to drag with the mouse, rather than scroll.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Foif » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:47 pm

James wrote:

Hell yes I would upgrade the Macbook to 4 GBs RAM. Memory for the Macbook is sooooo cheap! Buy from Crucial.com to get some really high quality RAM for a very low price. I never buy RAM from Apple (same applies to all the other computer manufacturers) because they mark it up so much. Apple usually uses Micron memory, and Crucial is the commercial name for Micron chips. Very high quality stuff, costs half the price when you buy Crucial instead of Micron.

That was the place im using actually! Thankfully, its extremely easy to change the ram on a Macbook. One of the easier computers ive seen. >_>

James wrote:RAM for the Mac Pro I am getting is more brutal. Even at extremely low prices my 8 GB RAM upgrade will still cost about $440. It is just extremely high-end RAM with crazy large heatsinks. The sort you might normally put in a very high end server workstation. 8 GBs (total) from Apple costs an additional $1500 (gwah!) so I won't even consider going through them. 32 GBs RAM from Apple costs about $9100, while I can get that for something like $1500. 10 GBs will be far more than enough, though.

Yeah, ive seen all the upgrades through Apple. If you fully upgrade a Mac Pro it can reach around 20,000. Wayyyy too much. Are you going to overclock your cpu?

James wrote:I've got external drives, but when I get the Mac Pro I'll be doing almost everything internally. It has four drive bays so I might as well. If I wanted to really go nuts I could get two Raptors and put them in a RAID 0 array (imagine the speed!) while doing backups with Time Machine, or to another drive in a RAID 1 array. More than likely I'll just put the OS and programs on the Raptor, data on another drive, and Time Machine for backup. If you're in the market for a good drive it is best to get one of those new 32 MBs Cache enterprise-class hard drives. You'll be spending a little over $200 if you bargain hunt a little. Modern technology has them performing almost as well as the Raptor in many tasks although they still run at 7,200 RPM. I wonder what the Raptor will do when Western Digital updates it with modern technology?

For laptops, I would research the 7,200 RPM drives from Hitachi and other manufacturers. Check for data transfer speed, noise level, and heat. You want to make sure it doesn't put out too much heat. Noise is up to you. When I got my Macbook I put in a 7,000 RPM drive from Hitachi which performed at the top of its class in nearly every category. Runs like a dream!

On that case, i mainly want to get it seeing as im quickly losing space, and i want to unleash Time Machines potential. It feels wasted in the position its in right now. And as for now, im pretty sapped for money, seeing as i also bought new speakers to match my laptop. What size drives are you planning on getting for the Mac Pro? If i were to start saving up for an external for myself, my choice would probably be in the 500gb-1tb range.

James wrote:I love scrolling with the mouse. I know how to do it very well with the keyboard. It just seems to me the keyboard requires more effort when I'm lounging about than the mouse. When I'm working, though, the keyboard gets used for just about everything.

I mean, i WAS used to scrolling, but my current wireless mouse is pretty bad, seeing as the scroll wheel works horribly. So pretty much now, i manually go and scroll down, but after around a year of that, ive gotten used to it. What're your opinion about the new keyboards? Personally, im not a huge fan of those either, although ill admit they look quite nice.

James wrote:
I zoom in and out constantly in Photoshop. The only time I ever really scroll around is when I'm working on a large graphic, up close, and slowly moving across (e.g. while restoring a photograph). Even then I tend to use the grab tool to drag with the mouse, rather than scroll.

Same, if im working on a big area. But in those cases sometimes, i might zoom out [mainly to see how my work is doing with the rest of the area], then zoom in on the part that i want to move too. At points i have dragged, but usually its scrolling.
Foif
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Apple Inc. and Products: General Discussion

Unread postby Ranbir » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:10 pm

So like, I'm thinking of getting one of those iMac things for my dad. He saw the size of it and was very interested in the desk space he'd be saving. The study is rather small, having been overloaded with shelves and a big arse laserprinter/photocopier takes a good chunk of the fixed desk.

I need to know, however, how easy it is to install XP on in it? I read somwhere, although it was old and talked about bootcamp beta about some deal with FAT32 and NFTS...

So yeah, how easy and prove it to me with a step by step guide that I can use to get it done asap.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby James » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:42 pm

Ranbir wrote:I need to know, however, how easy it is to install XP on in it? I read somwhere, although it was old and talked about bootcamp beta about some deal with FAT32 and NFTS...

There is a Bootcamp wizard in the Utilities folder. It guides you through the creation of the Bootcamp partition, burning the Windows XP Drivers Disc, and then pretty much automates the process of installing XP. You reboot into XP with the disc and all the drivers are installed and you are done. It is done so simply that you could easily handle it without reading a thing in advance.

Ranbir wrote:So yeah, how easy and prove it to me with a step by step guide that I can use to get it done asap.

There are dozens at your fingertips with a Google search...
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Ranbir » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:42 pm

Right...yeah... Google...

I apologise for attempting to have some human interaction which is more personal.

I also ordered that Airport Extreme. linksys BEFW11S4 is finally on its last legs.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby James » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:33 pm

Ranbir wrote:Right...yeah... Google...
I apologise for attempting to have some human interaction which is more personal.

Then ask nice, meanie. :P
Here's one.

Ranbir wrote:I also ordered that Airport Extreme. linksys BEFW11S4 is finally on its last legs.

I used to love Linksys routers but I've had nothing but bad luck with them over the past three or four years. Most of my tech buddies have also had terrible luck with them. I'm not sure what happened or what changed. The Airport Extreme is an awesome piece of hardware, though, for Mac or Windows. Definitely something I don't regret buying.

Some people have had some luck installing some LINUX-based firmware on them.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Ranbir » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:52 pm

That was nice!
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Ranbir » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:44 pm

Got the router installed yesterday. Lot of plastic packaging, tut tut. Nice it has a USB slot, so hooked the big printer.

I'm a bit concerned that it looks to be a closed case...how worried should I be worried about heat?
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby James » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:58 pm

Ranbir wrote:I'm a bit concerned that it looks to be a closed case...how worried should I be worried about heat?

No real reason to worry. I've been using them since a few months after Apple released them, and always in the vicinity of other networking equipment. Right now mine is next to a VoIP box and under my modem (which has something else stacked on top of it), on a glass panel. It is warm, but not really hot. I've also never heard of overheating issues associated with this product (like some models of the Apple TV which get crotchety if they don't have some air).
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

PreviousNext

Return to Foreign Kingdoms