Apple Inc. and Products: General Discussion

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Re: Apple Inc. and Products: General Discussion

Unread postby Ranbir » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:23 am

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing ... ren-673568

Using child labour and not even passing on the savings to the consumer? Disgraceful.

What's more worrying is this isn't the first discovery:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/5079590.stm

No excuses at price now, since they've been using the cheapest labour around!
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby James » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:03 pm

Look into that more. Apple actually audited its foreign factories, discovered this, and then stepped in with actions to stop it (and reported on those findings). They're the ones doing the policing. It just so happens that some irresponsible news agencies, or agencies basing their stories of other irresponsible news agencies, have spun this as if it were something Apple had been caught doing.

P.S. I hope it doesn't surprise anybody that Chinese factories use this sort of labor.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Harimau » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:15 pm

As much as I hate Apple, i'll admit that they're one of the very few companies that actually audits their suppliers and tries to maintain high standards.

Name another major company, any, that does the same.
If I'm posting here, it means I'm procrastinating.
Harimau
Shangshu Ling

Unread postby Starscream » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:04 pm

I've just downloaded iBooks for my phone and at the same time downloaded a free copy of SGZ. The amazing thing about this is that you can perform character search in the book. I tried the character 丕 and located dozens (and perhaps more) of mentions in SGZ. Thus, searching for a particular person in SGZ using iBooks is really convenient. :devil:
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby James » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:28 pm

Starscream wrote:I've just downloaded iBooks for my phone and at the same time downloaded a free copy of SGZ. The amazing thing about this is that you can perform character search in the book. I tried the character 丕 and located dozens (and perhaps more) of mentions in SGZ. Thus, searching for a particular person in SGZ using iBooks is really convenient. :devil:

Ooo... that's quite cool! I hadn't thought of using it for this.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:59 pm

I was always kind of hesitant about that Mighty Mouse, but now that they've released the Magic Mouse and I've given it a try = <3 <3 It was the tiny scroll button on the Mighty that annoyed me, but the magic of the Magic has made those concerns vanish.

On-topic, I guess, also, I finally ordered my new computer that I mentioned in the other thread. I did end up going with the 2.66GHz i7 processor, but I compromised on the RAM, settling for 4GB to save $$$ and because I can upgrade it a few years down the road when it's cheaper. Got the 128GB SSD as well. And a free iTouch for Mrs. Kong, thanks to student promo! It should all be here this week.
"If I had to do my life over, I would change every single thing I have done."
— Raymond Douglas Davies, 1967
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God

Unread postby Mikhail » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:08 pm

Is there any reason to get an iPad?

My family has decided to get me something for my graduation present. I've thought that maybe an iPhone 4 might be a bit better for the cost, but the whole data plan action might just be a little too much for me at the moment.
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Unread postby James » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:43 pm

Hmm... well, that's actually a fairly loaded question. Have you researched the products to have some idea of what you're looking for or interested in? The iPhone 4 is a kick-ass electronic device and I absolutely love some of its newest features, but it is still a phone-sized device, and doesn't come near to matching the immersive and less constrained experience of the iPad. Similarly, the iPad is not as portable (despite being quite portable).

I have them both, though, so ask away.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Mikhail » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:35 am

I guess it is a loaded question.

I've researched a few things. It's definitely going to be a luxury item instead of something of a necessity, even if it is going to be the iPhone. I mean I don't have a lot dependency on my phone. In terms of portable media, I have a PSP Go where I play games and watch movies and I have a regular Sony MP3 Player for my music - which I kinda prefer due to having buttons and being able to switch music without having to go the actual interface. I'm not actually sure if there is a forward/rewind button in the sides of the iPhone. In terms of an iPad, I do already have a netbook I use.

I have many devices and it would be cool to kinda amalgamate it all into one device, which would empty my pocket, but it's not something I care about much. Portability itself is not really an issue. An iPad would be cool because of the large screen, and watching something in the subway in a screen larger than a PSP screen would be awesome. I'm just unsure what, aside from the portability of media which I am currently set with, I could actually do with an iPad.
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Previous

Return to Foreign Kingdoms