Windows Vista

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

What operating system do you like the best?

Windows Vista
67%
Linux
11%
Unix
No votes
OS X Leopard
22%

Total votes : 9

Windows Vista

Unread postby HuangGaiTheGreat » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:33 pm

Well, after just short of 2 months of being a year without a computer(10 months in lamens terms), I'm finally back online. I got back onto this site thinking that my account would be long forgetten, but apparently not. :)
I figured I'd start up a thread for discussions on Vista and the other various operating systems. This isn't something I can say I'm advanced in, so I figure I'll learn something. What do you think of Vista yourself? Do you think that it is superior to per say Unix or Linux? Cast your vote and back it with hard fact! Please let me know if there are any operating systems that you would like added.
HuangGaiTheGreat
Assistant

Unread postby James » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:54 pm

The only reason, in my not so humble opinion, not to use OS X is if you love Windows gaming, are a Windows developer, or are running a business which uses proprietary software. I cannot think of any other ways in which Windows is better than Apple’s OS.

Edit: Or if you like cheap piece-of-junk computers that cost almost nothing but break after a few years of use (or less). There are actually consumers that do like these computers, so they are worth mentioning. Apple has no $350 computers unless you get an older model, but some of them are quite viable. Even the Mac Mini uses impressive hardware.

As for Vista, I have strong opinions about it. It is buggy, unstable, and resource intensive. That will take Microsoft time to resolve. It features some new technology (Direct X 10) which is great for things like gaming, but it is sad that Microsoft only made those things exclusive to Vista to force upgrades (rather than maintain backward compatibility with XP). It was marketed harshly—Microsoft cut out great user features just to force people into more expensive versions. An OS should not cost what Vista costs.

Its security enhancements have crumbled, and UAC is a disaster. When Vista falls prey to viruses and spyware it falls hard, and is very hard to repair (XP, by contrast, is not too hard to fix). Microsoft needed to redesign Windows from the ground up (as apple did with OS X) to solve many of these security issues and bring Vista into the modern age, but they were not able to focus that much on development, and such lofty goals were abandoned early in the project (they’ve been working on Vista, under several different names, for many years). They broke so many programs releasing Vista and if they want to continue progressing to catch up with the technology behind UNIX/Linux and OS X they will have to keep scrapping compatibility with each release (OS X, while it took a long time in development, broke everything once, and compatibility is very steady from version to version now).

Linux/UNIX and OS X do not need to worry about malware. Just spreading it to Windows.

Linux is basically useless for gaming or running mainstream apps. Programs like GIMP, though they are very nice, do not hold a candle to heavy-hitters like Photoshop, and even people who have compared Microsoft’s Office to OpenOffice and similar programs will see the same issues moving from one to another.

Usability in Linux is very very poor. It is not a user-friendly operating system and likely never will be—accessibility wizards and GUI kings do not usually focus efforts on open-source projects. You’ve got a bunch of nerdy programmers creating operating systems for typical users. Sometimes a Linux skin makes it seem friendly—until you try to do something complicated with it. Microsoft and Apple, by comparison, have much more user-friendly products. They have the money to develop and test these things, and realize this is a key factor for maintaining a user base. Apple is famous for this, and I cannot think of a single company in the world who comes close to them in simplicity of design and ease-of-use.

Apple is okay for gaming—some great companies are releasing products on that platform—but if you want full access to all the goodies you’ll want to run Windows (Bootcamp to install). Did you know high-end Apple products, Windows installed, are achieving some of the most incredible industry benchmarks in Windows? They better. High-end Apple products have a high-end cost.

Any operating system (Linux more so than Windows more so than OS X) requires time to build familiarity. OS X requires time to become comfortable interacting between it and Windows (though it isn’t hard with the right programs). Windows does not interact well with any other operating system, though. Microsoft likes to focus on closed standards to keep people and industries locked into their platform (e.g. Direct X).

I’ll stop rambling. That was all rubbish from the top of my head. :lol:
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby HuangGaiTheGreat » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:19 am

Always good to hear from you James. I know you're a diehard apple fan. But as you said, the cost isn't so attractive to lower income people more or less, and they lock everyone into buying their product with so many programs being for windows, gaming companies going the windows route and so many other factors. But this isn't reconciling or putting anyone at ease for the future. Are we going to see apple come out and become a viable competiter in the programs for it, cost, games available for it and so on?
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." --Abraham Lincoln
"It is only by not trusting that you turn someone into a liar." --Tao Le Ching
HuangGaiTheGreat
Assistant

Unread postby James » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:58 pm

Well, I’m not sure how much ‘market share’ Apple will eventually collect (though their market share in laptops is extremely surprising, as is the rate at which it has been increasing). They will never compete in the bargain-basement PC industry (and that’s where most sales come from) and you won’t really see Apples deployed at businesses to work as dummy terminals (another primary source of Windows sales).

That said, the Apples have been garnering huge interest among regular consumers—especially markets where people are interested in high-quality products—and opinions of the Apple platform have been going up more and more. I am surprised to see this and I would be skeptical if I didn’t spend a few days a week fixing Windows computers in the retail industry. I’m surprised by the general opinion my Windows customers have of Apple. Windows is still king, but these things can shift violently once enough people are doing something. Same threat goes for Internet Explorer and Firefox. If enough people were using Firefox that it became a common point of discussion among regular computer users, you could quickly see a huge browser market shift away from Internet Explorer. That’s why Microsoft hopped to it when their share was slipping below 90% and started really improving Internet Explorer, rather than when they hit a lower number.

Apple could become an extremely popular option in the consumer market.

Games—I think Apple is going to have to tip the scales more in the consumer market first. It is happening, and the results are there. Major companies like EA are hopping on-board with Apple to release native games when they wouldn’t have even dreamed of it in years past. If Apple takes another chunk of market share (and the chunk they are taking is an extremely important chunk—customers who have money, buy products for their homes, play games) more developers will start to support them. It is tough, though, and expensive. Many games are written for Direct X, a proprietary platform, and it cannot simply be ported to OS X.

Apple is huge in the home for regular folks, and many types of professionals (along with executives and other influential sorts), but the Windows-savvy computer-upgrading gaming market of younger people—Apple will have to win their hearts with things like better gaming support.

Edit: I may be a fan of Apple, but I call ’em as I see ’em. Where Windows is best, they are best, and where Apple is best, they are best. I work with both platforms very frequently—I know Windows inside and out—and I can certainly explain and defend my statements! :)
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:47 am

Can I vote none of the above?

I mean, Macs are great for what they do, but I'm a gamer above all else, and unlike many people, apparently, I'm able to avoid the threat of viruses and spyware that stymie an astonishingly large number of people.

I guess I'm a bit of an OS Luddite - I still use straight DOS at least once a week, and my machine runs a dual-boot 98SE and XP, with Win95 installed on MS Virtual PC.

Personally, I think using a new MS OS during the first year of its existence is just a bad idea. Let them figure out fixes for the myriads of bugs first. For me, I won't be running Vista until PC games start requiring it, which hopefully won't be for awhile yet, although MS seems to be leading the charge towards "convert-to-Vista-or-else".

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby James » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:20 am

You’re right about that, Adrian.

XP was terrible when it came out—I never thought I’d ‘upgrade’ from Windows 2000, and now I am actually pretty fond of XP (compared to the other MS operating systems). Aside from server work, I would choose it over 2000 any day. ’98 became the same after SE and some upgrading. ME, on the other hand…
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

hey

Unread postby Nathanpayne » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:05 pm

I prefer linux, more stable than all the others but I am running vista on my laptop at the moment.
Nathanpayne
Tyro

Re: Windows Vista

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:17 am

Vista is like a Golden Turd. It looks shiney but deep down it's still shit.

I don't have that many issues with it on my desktop, because it actually has the resources to run it, but on my laptop is a different matter. Even with a pretty powerful and up-to-date HP laptop it still takes several minutes for Vista to start running. Even though it's somewhat more user (read:noob) friendly than XP, it's still basically the same thing as XP but with more useless gadgets. The only new feature I actually like is the Problem Solving feature, because it has actually helped me solve some of the bugs that came with the system.
If you're using a PC with XP, I'd say wait a while before (if at all) upgrading to Vista. Older PCs will definately see a drop in performance because of the extreme amount of resources required to run this OS. I also think XP, though older, is more secure against viruses and "security leaks", and it's SP1 is definately better than the SP for Vista.
Laptop users, go with a Mac or Windows XP for your OS, seriously. Vista on a laptop isn't worth it because it will eat away precious resources while not giving a whole lot back.
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby James » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:21 am

It isn't worth it on a desktop either. Sure, a computer might have the resources to run it, but do you really want your OS using 800 MBs of your RAM (Vista usually uses more, actually). I would rather devote those resources to the things I actually want to do with my computer. If I were a Windows user I would not be looking forward to the day when I had to surrender XP.

You came around just to rant about Vista? :pika:
Nice to see you dropping by all the same!
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Ranbir » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:38 am

Vista is using RAM on things it knows I frequently use. Keeps everything spic span fast.

Free RAM is useless RAM.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Next

Return to Foreign Kingdoms