Native Resolution Disappeared!!

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Native Resolution Disappeared!!

Unread postby Kongming's Prodigy » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:08 am

Hi guys, I just bought a brand new PC and monitor, and for some reason overnight my monitor's native resolution of 1440x900 disappeared! I'm running on Windows Vista Home Premium with NVIDIA 800GTS, forceware 162.22. It also seems that NVIDIA control panel used to recognize the model of my monitor, and not anymore!

This is driving me nuts. I did EVERYTHING. System Restore, Reinstall Drivers, you name it. :evil:
[Current System]
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.63 GHz
EVGA Geforce GTX 770 @ 1241/3906 MHz
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Motherboard
6GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 Triple Channel
500GB Hitachi 7200RPM
700W Cooler Master UCP
Cooler Master HAF 922 Chassis
Kongming's Prodigy
The Dragon Awakened

Unread postby James » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:55 pm

Are all of the displayed resolutions supported by your monitor?

I wonder if NVidia would field a phone call?
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kongming's Prodigy » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:07 am

James wrote:Are all of the displayed resolutions supported by your monitor?

I wonder if NVidia would field a phone call?

No they are not. I got 1600x1200 as an option, but my monitor's max was 1440x900. The monitor was recognized as a "Non-PnP Monitor", which was totally not the case.

This morning I switched around the ends of the VGA cable, and the monitor was detected again, but not without some funky stuff happening first.

- Bootup screen was completely gray, then color restored after loading the desktop
- The control panel disappeared. I would click control panel, and a window would quickly appear and disappear. :x

So I did system restore in safe mode, and it seemed to get rid of the above issues fine. I guess they might have been caused as a result of me messing around with updating my Forceware drivers.

Now it's running stable, but I'm just wondering if I should do something about it before it happens again outside of my warranty. My tech savvy (as savvy as they can get) friends say it's either a problem with the connection, a problem with the nVidia card, or a software issue. That didn't really narrow much down, and to really test it I'd have to reinstall my OS. :roll:

I've searched it up online, and it seems I'm not the only one. Interestingly enough, all the issues of disappearing native resolutions seem to be with 1440x900.
[Current System]
500GB Hitachi 7200RPM
700W Cooler Master UCP
Kongming's Prodigy
The Dragon Awakened

Unread postby James » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:21 am

Your tech friends came pretty close to the correct answer this time—the problem you are having can be caused by a fairly broad catalog of culprits. A bad video card or bad video card drivers are generally the most common cause. If this issue came up after you updated your driver (but was resolved when you System Restored back to previous settings) the driver is likely the issue at hand. The newest update may be introducing a bug that affects your monitor.

You might consider trying to pry feedback from NVidia’s cold dead fingers (I say dead because death may be the required threat to get information). One of the pins on a VGA cable transmits monitor data <i>but</i> the problem should be consistent. That doesn’t mean it is not the issue, however. The driver may have cached settings which remain in effect despite a bad cable (but were refreshed with a driver update). Test another VGA cable to investigate this?

To test a video card you can use another video card around your house or purchase one from a store. The card can be returned if necessary. Be certain to make sure there is no restocking fee (check the documentation, don’t just depend on what an employee says unless they strike you as particularly knowledgeable and they have no stake in your purchase).

If you have a worthwhile warranty, investigate as much as necessary and get services what needs to be serviced. If it expires soon, this may involve pushing your limits to isolate the issue prior to the warranty expiration date. If your warranty can be extended consider extending it. Make sure your warranty covers this issue (it may be software and few warranties cover software issues).

Edit: Oh, your resolutions became inaccurate because the monitor could not identity itself. The globs of text above hope to narrow this broad concern down into manageable bites.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kongming's Prodigy » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:50 am

It hasn't happened again, but I've been getting random issues that seem to be software-related now. The control panel disappears sporadically between restarts, and this problem seems to be quite frequent among Vista users on the web.

Plus I reinstalled a nVidia beta driver that worked before, but instead my PC screws up during installation and makes weird screechy noises and I had to revert back.

Vista blows. :x
[Current System]
500GB Hitachi 7200RPM
700W Cooler Master UCP
Kongming's Prodigy
The Dragon Awakened

Unread postby Kittn » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:11 am

Hate Vista ><

Some programs don't work well with the Vista interface. I dunno if that's the kind of software issues you're getting, but we had to switch to classic view to keep stuff from glitching out on us. All that purdy fancy stuff - wasted. I sure wish they'd not force Vista on people buying new compies. And the XP 'emulation' option doesn't seem to work on most of my programs either. :?
Kittn
Changshi

Return to Foreign Kingdoms