AMDs vs Pentium

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

AMDs vs Pentium

AMD
40%
Pentium
60%
Other (plz specify)
No votes

Total votes : 5

AMDs vs Pentium

Unread postby Jebusrocks » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:24 am

Which one do you use?? My family generally uses Pentium, and we never bought AMDs because my cousin (who's a computer engineer or something along that line) always recommanded Pentium. Of course, I've decided to rebel and buy an AMD just cuz of their super-fast speed and also cuz of it's cheepness. But Pentium's are still preferred by most people cuz it's a much safer brand and all that.
Some things I like about my AMD better than Pentium
1) It is generally safe imo, never had any troubles.
2) I mostly use the pc for simple stuff, so AMD or Pentium, for me it doesn't really matter. But AMD is much cheaper
3) I play games, and AMD is the God of games, My friend bought a PC with the same Graphic card, RAM, and a higher CPU (He's is 3.3ghz, mine 2.6?ghz), but mine works perfectly on games. Also, a technician told me although CPUs for AMD is much lower, because the bus speed(?) for my AMD goes to above 3000mhz, while the Pentiums (at that time) only went up to 800mhz. And I'm actually like it.
What are ur opinions??
It is curious that the Americans, who calculate so carefully on the possibilities of military victory, do not realize that in the process they are incurring deep psychological and political defeat.
Jebusrocks
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Foif » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:27 am

It depends, ive used Pentiums all my life, but its not because i have anything against AMD. I really dont care that much to buy a specific one.
Foif
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:27 am

I've heard many good things about AMD processors but have always personally used Pentiums.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby James » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:05 am

AMD and Intel are always playing on a teeter-totter. About four years ago, AMD trumped everything coming out of Intel except Intel’s mobile chips (Centrino was out then, correct?) Now, Intel trumps everything AMD has available, and crushes AMD in low-power and mobile processing. But AMD has a brand new chip slated for release about now (could be out now) that marks their effort to catch up with Intel in the powerful processing market.

Intel has had their low times too. The first Pentium 4 was <i>slower</i> and <i>less reliable</i> than a high-end Pentium III! They were taking advantage of consumers who were foolish enough to believe a processor’s power was measured in mHz alone. Then again, nearly everyone bought into that myth. At the same time processors at a fraction of the speed (what, 533 mHz; 800 mHz?) were being released in the Power PC platform which stood on nearly equal footing due to the competition’s poor architecture.

I think it was AMD that first came to their senses. When Intel was pushing the 3 gHz mark AMD broke down and released a 2.2 gHz chip that blew Intel’s leading consumer chips right out of the market.

You can only really say one is better than the other when speaking about specific historic periods, or when speaking about a specific point in time. Who knows what the answer will be two years from now?
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Jebusrocks » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:12 am

Does anyone here know why computers with AMD are much cheaper than computers with a Pentium?? My cousin just says becuz the brand Pentium is worth much more than AMD, hence the price, but is that it??
It is curious that the Americans, who calculate so carefully on the possibilities of military victory, do not realize that in the process they are incurring deep psychological and political defeat.
Jebusrocks
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:19 am

jebusrocks wrote:Does anyone here know why computers with AMD are much cheaper than computers with a Pentium?? My cousin just says becuz the brand Pentium is worth much more than AMD, hence the price, but is that it??

That’s not really true.

Pentium Celeron processor computers tend to be the cheapest of all.
AMD makes some low-quality mid-range processors that commonly fall into mid-range computers.
Many expensive high-end computers have things like Pentium Core Duos in them. AMD also has high-end chips, but right now they don’t commonly appear in these computers because Pentium is making the best processors. Finally, in the high-end price range, companies do tend to lean toward Intel due to the power of their brand name.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Jebusrocks » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:22 am

AMD also has high-end chips, but right now they don’t commonly appear in these computers because Pentium is making the best processors.

So, do they sell computer integrated with these chips?? Or did AMD never release them? Where can I buy a pc with it? I'm thinking of buying a pc btw
Jebusrocks
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:24 am

jebusrocks wrote:So, do they sell computer integrated with these chips?? Or did AMD never release them? Where can I buy a pc with it? I'm thinking of buying a pc btw

Not sure what question you are asking. If you want an AMD chip, go to AMD’s home page and read about their processors. Find out which processors you like and do some comparison shopping to find out what computers are available. Most of the high-quality Windows brands use Pentium for their high-end machines, though, so you’ll have your best luck in built-to-order configurations and lesser-known brands.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Foif » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:25 am

Of course you could probably find them, but it might be rare. You could also just buy it when you want to make your own computer.
Foif
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:33 am

Since I don't buy a new computer every year or something like that, my personal use stats are just going to be based on my current processor. The processor in my desktop PC is an AMD, and it's worked just fine for me for years. The processors in my last two PCs before that (one laptop and one desktop) were both Celerons, and they were just fine as well (it wasn't the processor that made my laptop explode).

For the purpose of this poll, I'm going recent and voting for AMD.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Return to Foreign Kingdoms