Laptop Water Spill

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Laptop Water Spill

Unread postby Kongming's Prodigy » Wed May 09, 2007 8:57 am

Hey guys,

I spilled a glass of water on my laptop late last night, and tried to clean up the spill. Everything seemed fine, except some keyboard keys. So I shut it off, tilted a desk lamp over it, and hoped that it would dry and be fine. However, a couple hours later, I returned to find that the mouse and USB ports were malfunctioning on a second boot, so immediately shut it off. I lifted the laptop, and realized in horror that while the surface of he laptop was dry, it was leaking badly inside. Upon shaking it dry and trying to boot again, windows refused to load, and there was only a blinking cursor. Afterwards, the power-on button did nothing, but there was still a battery light on. Now there's nothing...at all. I did some research (on my roommate's comp) and realized to my stupidity that I should've unplugged the AC and removed the battery, nor should I have tried to boot it :x . I called the university's computer repair, and they told me to hand it in after a couple day's drying.

So now I'm stuck fearing that I must've shorted something. If so, are there any physical signs as to when a short occurs in a laptop? And if there is a short, what are the most likely components that are destroyed? I know I could just wait nervously for a technician, but I'm feeling scared and impatient.
[Current System]
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.63 GHz
EVGA Geforce GTX 770 @ 1241/3906 MHz
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Motherboard
6GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 Triple Channel
500GB Hitachi 7200RPM
700W Cooler Master UCP
Cooler Master HAF 922 Chassis
Kongming's Prodigy
The Dragon Awakened

Unread postby James » Thu May 10, 2007 2:09 am

I hate to say it, but you have probably fried your motherboard. :(

If you ever spill liquid into a piece of electronics shut it down (as fast as possible), remove power and the battery, and contact someone for service immediately. If you cannot afford service (or simply don't wish to take that avenue) place the item somewhere where it might dry, gradually, and leave it for weeks (if not months). In this case, if it is an item that can be opened, do so after this time to see if any liquid still exists inside. (Or just don’t drink anywhere near your laptop).

Wish I could help you more with your present problem…
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kongming's Prodigy » Thu May 10, 2007 3:52 am

If I did fry my motherboard, what components are most likely still salvage-able? If my hard disk, motherboard, and video card are all fried, I really see no point in keeping it.

I just turned the machine into computer repair at my school, and I'm waiting for an estimate. If it's the motherboard, how much would a repair like this cost?
[Current System]
500GB Hitachi 7200RPM
700W Cooler Master UCP
Kongming's Prodigy
The Dragon Awakened

Re: Laptop Water Spill

Unread postby Shadowlink » Thu May 10, 2007 12:39 pm

Kongming's Prodigy wrote:Hey guys,

I spilled a glass of water on my laptop late last night, and tried to clean up the spill. Everything seemed fine, except some keyboard keys. So I shut it off, tilted a desk lamp over it, and hoped that it would dry and be fine. However, a couple hours later, I returned to find that the mouse and USB ports were malfunctioning on a second boot, so immediately shut it off. I lifted the laptop, and realized in horror that while the surface of he laptop was dry, it was leaking badly inside. Upon shaking it dry and trying to boot again, windows refused to load, and there was only a blinking cursor. Afterwards, the power-on button did nothing, but there was still a battery light on. Now there's nothing...at all. I did some research (on my roommate's comp) and realized to my stupidity that I should've unplugged the AC and removed the battery, nor should I have tried to boot it :x . I called the university's computer repair, and they told me to hand it in after a couple day's drying.

So now I'm stuck fearing that I must've shorted something. If so, are there any physical signs as to when a short occurs in a laptop? And if there is a short, what are the most likely components that are destroyed? I know I could just wait nervously for a technician, but I'm feeling scared and impatient.
I spill water on my keybroad and it stop workiong... if I spill water on my laptop now I can send it into dell for a 1 year warranty thing
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Alucard » Thu May 10, 2007 2:11 pm

Did your warranty expire? If so, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you didn't have too many important documents on there. I know someone that spilled soda on their keyboard of the laptop. Anything spilled on a laptop is bad. The bigger the spill, the higher percentage of instant death to the laptop. I'm not sure how much it will be, but it's probably not going to be cheap.
I don't regret the decision I made that day. Even now. But...my heart still aches. I..I want to follow my heart. Whether it is right or wrong will be judged by history. - Pahn
Alucard
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: In a house where I open a door and another door appears.

Unread postby Justin » Thu May 10, 2007 8:20 pm

Spilling water on a piece of pc equipment usually won't do anything unless it's plugged in. Have you noticed any funny smells or odors around it? If so something is fried. If it won't boot it's probably a mobo part. For that well better off buying a new laptop since laptop parts are expensive to buy after market.
My Website

My Blog

The Dungeon

Trouble maker extraordinaire!
Justin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Thu May 10, 2007 11:05 pm

Kongming's Prodigy wrote:If I did fry my motherboard, what components are most likely still salvage-able? If my hard disk, motherboard, and video card are all fried, I really see no point in keeping it.

On a laptop? RAM and hard drive. If you are creative, you may be able to salvage additional parts such as the LCD, wireless card, optical drive, and sell them on eBay. The LCD especially, if extracted properly, can get you back some money. If the battery is not damaged at all, it too can be sold.

Kongming's Prodigy wrote:I just turned the machine into computer repair at my school, and I'm waiting for an estimate. If it's the motherboard, how much would a repair like this cost?

Unless you have a very high end laptop, it usually wouldn’t be worth fixing.

Shadowlink wrote:I spill water on my keybroad and it stop workiong... if I spill water on my laptop now I can send it into dell for a 1 year warranty thing

1 year? What is that, the standard manufacturer's warranty? Dell won’t service a liquid spill under that warranty, nor will any other computer manufacturer I am aware of. Some companies do offer special warranties that cover 'abuse' damage, but you pay quite a bit more for them, and they are usually two or three years, if not more. The standard warranty covers problems due to manufacturing defect.

Alucard wrote:Did your warranty expire? If so, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you didn't have too many important documents on there. I know someone that spilled soda on their keyboard of the laptop. Anything spilled on a laptop is bad. The bigger the spill, the higher percentage of instant death to the laptop. I'm not sure how much it will be, but it's probably not going to be cheap.

It may still be quite easy to recover the documents. Extract the hard drive and buy an external laptop hard drive enclosure from a computer store. Slap the hard drive into the enclosure (it is quite easy) and plug it in to another computer. Or some companies can be paid for this service. If the hard drive is not damaged, you should be able to get the data through this avenue for somewhere between $60 and $160.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby FuguNabe » Fri May 11, 2007 12:36 am

Eh.. that's not good. Water just don't mix well with electrical gears. I would say it's ruined. Time for a new laptop me think.
Cynicism in my lyricism? Life has been series of questions and sessions of lessons to enhance my essence...

Knowledge is god as despite my iaido skills my pen is is mightier than my sword...

With a tongue to match my wit your mental death swift...
FuguNabe
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: You'd find me at some karaoke drinking and singing with ladies on the weekend

Unread postby Kongming's Prodigy » Wed May 16, 2007 3:51 am

Apparently the computer repair said that as long as I have proof of purchase that my laptop is within a year old, they can repair it under Sony's 1-yr warranty. I had to get a faxed copy of my receipt from China, lol. Now all I can do is hope is that the technicians can fully repair my computer.
[Current System]
500GB Hitachi 7200RPM
700W Cooler Master UCP
Kongming's Prodigy
The Dragon Awakened

Unread postby James » Wed May 16, 2007 10:44 pm

Wow… I hope they do! I know this is not allowed under their written warranty!

Please let me know how it turns out. :)
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Next

Return to Foreign Kingdoms