Message Boards & Forums

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Re: Message Boards & Forums

Unread postby Korin » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:02 pm

It'd be nice if a staff member went thru all the links on the "master" list to check if they are safe or not.
Soshi.
Korin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby UPhoenix » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:59 am

Heroes of Chaos has returned! http://www.heroesofchaos.net/china

The full game of Heroes of Chaos: China is ready to go! Engross yourself in role-play as you enter the world of Ancient China, during the fall of the Han, when chaos prevailed and warlords reigned! What does HoC have to offer, you ask?

- A civil system where officers are not the currency of action. With the ability to assign actions based on a quantity fixed by the size of your kingdom and the rank of your ruler, no more are hordes of random NPCs necessary to fill out your KT! Only employ the officers you need! Further, the set-up is based around regions, not specific cities, meaning that, as your force grows larger, your workload does not grow in ratio. This is a system designed for both early and late game scenarios!
- A personal turn system designed to reward balanced efforts, meaning that you will find more to do than to train stats and learn skills! To wit: bonding has built-in rewards (bonuses to certain tactic success rates in battle as well as tutor events), patrols offer up fame which allows a character to grow in different ways, and resource gathering, which is crucial for item creation.
- A battle system designed to embrace multiple fronts, with the importance of any particular battle diminished somewhat through troop recovery (injured and the like) as well as employing mechanics that help to prevent any one side from being massively outnumbered in any single battle. Battle tactics are simplified in a manner that allows much of the planning to be done before the forces are even posted, while even then, the basic format is set up in a way to get to the point very quickly.
- A storyline that encourages role-play between the various rulers and GMNPC rulers. Diplomacy may not prove to be the largest factor in eventual victory, but it can make up for many shortcomings and undo the natural advantages (such as large officer corps) of your enemies.
- A dueling system designed around heavy tactic interaction, allowing for the same bout to be fought over and over with great potential for a different result without trending towards complete randomness.
- A dedication to running yearly (in-game time, meaning every 4 game turns or so) events, which can consist of various tournaments, quests, and the like. Events are often the Duke Nukem Sequel of sims (always wanted, always in progress, then it eventually comes and everybody is disappointed)... not here!
- A sense of urgency when it comes to game speed. Are you tired of waiting for your battle to be run for days while staff are sitting in IRC idling? Heroes of Chaos has a past and more recent history of consistent turns run at a brisk pace, yet being flexible enough to meet the needs of players who may find issue with any particular deadline.

The game starts in 193, shortly after the death of Dong Zhuo. The map does not look like it would have in history, however; events have unfolded differently due to the survival of Liu Bian, who escaped from Dong Zhuo before he could have him murdered.

Player sign-ups are NOW OPEN! We have just begun Turn 2 (Autumn 193).

Waiting for another game? There's no need to choose between the two. Try us and see how it fits. Sign up now and be a part of the resurrection of one of the biggest franchises in the sim community!

Still not sure? Watch the exciting trailer! http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/1432564 ... os-returns
UPhoenix
Tyro

Unread postby Mitsunari » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:06 pm

This is a general query, please indulge me if you would:

Are there any perks or additional incentives to, say, registering a forum requiring a fee rather than a free forum? Aside from no advertising, of course. I'm thinking along the lines of increased forum advertisement, better search engine recognition and so forth.

After the sheer toil of ultimately fruitless recruiting for my free forum some years ago, I'm not keen on revisiting such a futile endeavour should I even consider forum administration for a second time. Online communities may be declining, but it may be worth a shot...
''Even through the darkest of days, this fire burns, always...''
Mitsunari
Akaoni of the Red Fire Unit

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Unread postby Aaron.K » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:29 am

Mitsunari wrote:This is a general query, please indulge me if you would:

Are there any perks or additional incentives to, say, registering a forum requiring a fee rather than a free forum? Aside from no advertising, of course. I'm thinking along the lines of increased forum advertisement, better search engine recognition and so forth.

After the sheer toil of ultimately fruitless recruiting for my free forum some years ago, I'm not keen on revisiting such a futile endeavour should I even consider forum administration for a second time. Online communities may be declining, but it may be worth a shot...

If you do want to go with a free forum registration, I'd suggest either Jcink or Icyboards.
"Why have you come to Jotunheim all alone?"
Aaron.K
Master

Unread postby Mitsunari » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:27 am

Aaron.K wrote:
Mitsunari wrote:This is a general query, please indulge me if you would:

If you do want to go with a free forum registration, I'd suggest either Jcink or Icyboards.

Hmm, I'll delve into the details of those two a tad more mate; unless they have semi-reasonable search engine recognition I may have to look into a paid forum...thanks for replying though. :mrgreen:
Mitsunari

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Unread postby Mitsunari » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:28 pm

Aaron.K wrote:If you do want to go with a free forum registration, I'd suggest either Jcink or Icyboards.

Apologies for the double post; I'd PM Aaron this query, but someone else may have an answer:

Out of sheer curiosity, I registered a free forum with Icyboards today and, hmm, the Admin CP is a tad befuddling...is there an option to simplify it, do you know?

Also, there appears to be no alternative board themes available, although this could be wrong as I'm still availing myself with the CP...back in 2008, I knew the CP of a phpBB3 forum inside and out, this MyBB 1.6.10 is as daunting to me as a constipated Algebra teacher...time surely catches up with you when you're out of the game for a while.
Mitsunari

Unread postby Aaron.K » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:16 am

Mitsunari wrote:
Aaron.K wrote:If you do want to go with a free forum registration, I'd suggest either Jcink or Icyboards.

Apologies for the double post; I'd PM Aaron this query, but someone else may have an answer:

Out of sheer curiosity, I registered a free forum with Icyboards today and, hmm, the Admin CP is a tad befuddling...is there an option to simplify it, do you know?

Also, there appears to be no alternative board themes available, although this could be wrong as I'm still availing myself with the CP...back in 2008, I knew the CP of a phpBB3 forum inside and out, this MyBB 1.6.10 is as daunting to me as a constipated Algebra teacher...time surely catches up with you when you're out of the game for a while.

I don't think there's an option to simplify the admin CP. And the themes that are built in, there's no new ones. But if you look around on some of the Roleplaying directory sites (like RPG-D, or Caution 2.0), you'll be able to find custom themes that you could install if you want to that way as well.
Aaron.K
Master

Unread postby Mitsunari » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:24 am

Aaron.K wrote:I don't think there's an option to simplify the admin CP. And the themes that are built in, there's no new ones. But if you look around on some of the Roleplaying directory sites (like RPG-D, or Caution 2.0), you'll be able to find custom themes that you could install if you want to that way as well.

Okedoke, I shall peruse and fiddle about till I either grasp the CP or surrender to it's many confuzzling elements in a hail of abuse and spittle aimed at the screen.

I doubt I'd be investing any money into a forum, on reflection. It'd only end in more abuse and spittle rain for my laptop screen, since the endeavour would inevitably fall on it's arse.

Thanks for your help again, Monsieur Aaron. Don't be a stranger, you swine.
Mitsunari

Unread postby Aaron.K » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:19 pm

Mitsunari wrote:
Aaron.K wrote:I don't think there's an option to simplify the admin CP. And the themes that are built in, there's no new ones. But if you look around on some of the Roleplaying directory sites (like RPG-D, or Caution 2.0), you'll be able to find custom themes that you could install if you want to that way as well.

Okedoke, I shall peruse and fiddle about till I either grasp the CP or surrender to it's many confuzzling elements in a hail of abuse and spittle aimed at the screen.

I doubt I'd be investing any money into a forum, on reflection. It'd only end in more abuse and spittle rain for my laptop screen, since the endeavour would inevitably fall on it's arse.

Thanks for your help again, Monsieur Aaron. Don't be a stranger, you swine.

Well when you make it, don't forget to give me the link. :wink:

Also, investing money into a forum is perhaps not the wisest idea, at least not until the community has been built up. Most places that are around these days, tended to have communities that were first built on free forums, or at least communities that were not started up on a paid host. So holding off on it is likely the best course of action.
Aaron.K
Master

Unread postby Mitsunari » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:32 pm

Aaron.K wrote:Well when you make it, don't forget to give me the link. :wink:

Also, investing money into a forum is perhaps not the wisest idea, at least not until the community has been built up. Most places that are around these days, tended to have communities that were first built on free forums, or at least communities that were not started up on a paid host. So holding off on it is likely the best course of action.

IF it gets made, as my modern-day CP technophobia may put the kibosh on it yet... :lol:

Yes, I agree fully Wulfymoto-san, establishing a user-base and in turn, a reputation, is foremost. Step two is, somehow, easier than Step one, in my experience with SJA. The consensus was, or at least felt like: ''Yeah the forum's cool, very professional and it's enjoyable to post here! This could be the SoSZ for The Sengoku Period, easily...ok, see ya!''

I still blame the aversion to regular posting on SJA squarely on Baiko for yelling at the noobs, yes, Baiko. And Parrot's complete detachment from reality, yes, nutjob...

Anyhoo, I'll crack on with self-versing in the art of new CP wrestling, it's worth a shot.
Mitsunari

Previous

Return to Foreign Kingdoms