iTunes + store music help please...(I don't like Apple)

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

iTunes + store music help please...(I don't like Apple)

Unread postby Ranbir » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:25 pm

Hello.

My itunes takes ages to load. It starts to stutter/skip after a while. And well...it's an awful program tbh. I have 7.0 btw. I thought it'd be the better of all versions.

The problem is, I liked the store. I've bought songs from it. I want to play these mp3s without having to use itunes. I've already gone through the pains of 'ripping' these protected files so I have workable versions on my old but large enough mp3 player. It isn't an ipod, surprise. I still want to keep the original tracks of course. Just incase something happens and I need to redownload them without having buy them again. I know winamp has a substandard patch to play the protected files but it wasn't any better than itunes itself; that ends up stuttering after a while too.

I kind of wish I used the Microsoft music store. Atleast that isn't forcing me to only play it through WMP or the Zune. So...yeah...is there any decent program that can play istore bought songs or am I gonna have to suck it up and be stuck with itunes?
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Re: iTunes + store music help please...(I don't like Apple)

Unread postby James » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:51 pm

What are your system specifications? iTunes shouldn’t run that slowly. Are you using the most up-to-date version of 7.x under an up-to-date copy of XP or Windows 2000? The original 7.x release had some bugs due to all the new features (for Video iPods, mostly) and caused trouble for a number of people. How much RAM do you have? Usually when iTunes slows down (and is updated) it is a resource issue.

And I thought there was a third-party alternative product for Windows? I don’t know what it is like, but you might search for it. I also read once that there was a plug-in (I think it was free) for Windows Media Player (plugin not made by Microsoft) that allowed you to play the music.

Ranbir wrote:I kind of wish I used the Microsoft music store. Atleast that isn't forcing me to only play it through WMP or the Zune. So...yeah...is there any decent program that can play istore bought songs or am I gonna have to suck it up and be stuck with itunes?

Microsoft’s music locks you into the Zune. It <i>is not</i> the standard DRM used by other Microsoft-supported companies (this is actually a huge controversy—they’ve drawn a lot of heat from formerly allied companies over this), and finally, you don’t own copies of your songs like you do with the iTunes DRM. In fact, the iTunes DRM is the most liberal DRM in use right now (with approval from the music industry companies). It’s worth some research.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Ranbir » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:58 pm

Well dang on the MS Zune bit. I just wanted to spat at Apple some more.

I have, Athlon XP 2500 1 Gig ram, everything is up to date. scandiskin' and defraggin' fortnightly. I can't think it's a resource issue. I'm still pumpin' smooth alt-tabbing gaming with Oblivion and the likes.

So far it's all 'stripping' the DRM but they aren't so good with the new keys. I don't like options like that or the whole, burn to disc then rip it off that. Seems far too much effort to achieve the simple matter of playing a music file with another music playing piece of software!
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby James » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:43 pm

Ranbir wrote:I have, Athlon XP 2500 1 Gig ram, everything is up to date. scandiskin' and defraggin' fortnightly. I can't think it's a resource issue. I'm still pumpin' smooth alt-tabbing gaming with Oblivion and the likes.

Your hardware is fine. It should handle iTunes with no issues. Still need to ask, though, are you using the most up-to-date versions of Windows and iTunes? Have you checked to make sure they are up-to-date?

Do you have an iPod? If you’ve still got phone support it wouldn’t hurt to call Apple and get some over-the-phone troubleshooting help. If all of the above criteria are met the first thing you might consider is uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes (back up your music library first). At what point did the problems occur? Which upgrade? Or did it happen for a different reason? And it is also worth asking what iPod you are using.

Ranbir wrote:So far it's all 'stripping' the DRM but they aren't so good with the new keys. I don't like options like that or the whole, burn to disc then rip it off that. Seems far too much effort to achieve the simple matter of playing a music file with another music playing piece of software!

Yeah, but we can thank the music industry for this. DRM for legally distributed digital music isn’t going to go anywhere any time too soon, I fear. Apple is pretty much at the forefront in fighting this war for consumers, though. They’re the only company with enough weight to throw around in the music industry to combat what the industry itself has supported most—exploding music like used on the Zune or as downloaded from Napster; music you ‘rent’ or ‘check out’. Steve Jobs had enough balls to <a href="http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughtsonmusic/">write publicly on the matter, and what Apple would like to do</a>.

Most other DRM licenses try to prevent you from burning discs too. :shock:

I suppose burning and ripping from a disc is a small price to pay. It would be a bit nicer if the bitrate of the Apple store was a bit higher. At least it is m4a [compare to mp4] and not mp3. I don’t buy much music from the music store, myself, but that is because I dislike DRM so much that I’ve never been comfortable with it. And when I do purchase an album from the music store the first thing I do is extract DRM-free m4as from a burned CD, which I store on another disc or hard drive with the original protected files (though I do use the protected files on my computer).
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:56 am

I've had iTunes run really poorly on my Windows machine, so to hear about bad performance on that platform doesn't surprise me. It's certainly laggy and slower than it runs on my iBook, but nothing as bad as Ranbir seems to be suggesting.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby James » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:16 am

Kong Wen wrote:I've had iTunes run really poorly on my Windows machine, so to hear about bad performance on that platform doesn't surprise me. It's certainly laggy and slower than it runs on my iBook, but nothing as bad as Ranbir seems to be suggesting.

I have also concluded it isn’t quite as reliable on Windows—but it doesn’t surprise me much. On Mac Apple has complete control over the entire OS. What caught me though: even though iTunes has been a little less reliable, it was certainly a workable program; it certainly is a reliable program on my older Windows computer that is about half the beast Ranbir’s is.

So there’s something else playing into this.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Ranbir » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:47 pm

EMI will start selling their songs without silly DRM, even through itunes.

YAY!

Price will be slightly higher($1.29 (99p), but it's higher quality and can be played on any mp3 player I have. Woo!

Hopefully a start to something everyone does. No pressure to buy ipod, yay.

I can even upgrade my old EMI tracks to be unlocked.

"We have to trust our consumers," he said. "We have always argued that the best way to combat illegal traffic is to make legal content available at decent value and convenient."

This is sooo true. Just like games software piracy. Those that will pirate it anyway, will. What we want to happen is no consumer be forced or even pushed towards piracy, and that is to make the consumer experience as easy as possible. Stardock proved this with their games, which was a real blow to Starforce.

Woo, so happy!
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby James » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:55 pm

Ranbir wrote:Price will be slightly higher($1.29 (99p), but it's higher quality and can be played on any mp3 player I have. Woo!

Haha… well played! The music industry has frothing at the mouth trying to convince Jobs to raise the price, and here he has done it… but for a price, the abolishment of DRM! It tells the other companies that, if they wish to raise the prices of their songs, they will have to leave it behind. At the same time it allows Apple to profit on songs that might not be played on their iPod. This pretty much proves that Jobs was honest when he said he supports killing DRM on music, and it also brings the music store one step closer to actually being an area I would shop.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Ranbir » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:31 pm

EMI's "Premium" tracks will be available from May.

What they next need to do is destroy this "localisation" that has managed to grip on to one medium which I thought put an end to such barriers as this, internet!

itunes store to be one store. Not on being a US store and another being a UK store.

Just one world store.
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby James » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:23 pm

Ranbir wrote:itunes store to be one store. Not on being a US store and another being a UK store.

Yeah, that would be cool. I don’t know the complete reason behind this, but I would guess that it is, in vast majority, due to the complexities of marketing albums to different regions. All it takes is a single artist willing to sell his music in the United States, but not to, say, the UK without further contract negotiation to force localization onto the store. I don’t imagine this will ever change unless the record industry forces every artist into global contracts, and that is something I would be morally opposed to.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Next

Return to Foreign Kingdoms