iTunes + store music help please...(I don't like Apple)

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Unread postby Ranbir » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:45 pm

Shouldn't be a problem for independants! We don't want fat cats to control what goes on where, huh!? :)
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby James » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:51 pm

Ranbir wrote:Shouldn't be a problem for independants! We don't want fat cats to control what goes on where, huh!? :)

No indeed.

More specifically, I’d hate to see new groups forced into a low-pay international deal right off the bat. At least right now they have a shot of negotiating a short-term contract for the US or UK only so, when they become successful, they can renegotiate later into a better deal.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Ranbir » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:06 pm

But with digital distribution they don't have to deal with that label middleman. Of course I'm seeing this from a developer-publisher angle. I'm not sure how it goes in the music industry, but I'm pretty show these big companies are generally used for fancy schmance recording, mass producing cd slips and what not and the whole PR angle. Digital distribution can really push these big labels away and give the artist/s greater control.

My simplistic view of course.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby James » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:17 am

Indies are often-times distributed through less convoluted means, but the world of major stardom is still dominated by the big labels. But hey, from where it sit it would seem Jobs is taking one bite at a time. I wonder how things will look when he’s had his fill.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Ranbir » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:24 pm

Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby James » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:24 pm

Ranbir wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6711215.stm

Wow… first I’ve heard of that. I’ll post again when I get the technical details.

I cannot imagine Apple would ever share its database with the RIAA, and there is a possibility that this is just a rumor leaked to the media by someone trying to manipulate the stock market (this is a monthly thing with Apple), but if this is true, I want to know more about it.

Update: So it would seem this rumor stems from a side-by-side comparison of two like-file downloads from the iTunes Plus Music Store. It was observed that the file compilations were not exactly the same (that different data existed within the files) and, given this, it was hypothesized that Apple must be tracking each individual customer through their music. While certainly a possibility it is just an unfounded rumor at this point.

Any original data, such as a scrambled text value indicating server information at the point of download, or a hash key generated on the server and used by iTunes to validate the authenticity of the song, could potentially cause something like this. I suppose it is also possible that Apple might be considering a service that would allow someone to re-download lost songs or track them for future upgrades, but, like the original concern, this is only fishing at this point.

Give the hackers some time and they’ll know more.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Previous

Return to Foreign Kingdoms