Apple being too ambitious...?

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Unread postby Jebusrocks » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:02 pm

Sounds a lot like what Samsung tried to do with the Q1 Ultra and all. It was cool and everything, especially with the QWERTY keyboard and 80gb hard and all (those Q1s are actually better than the macs and dells we have at our school :lol: ), but it didn't make so much money (at least the older one didn't, we'll see about Q1 Ultra), cuz of its expensive cost
It is curious that the Americans, who calculate so carefully on the possibilities of military victory, do not realize that in the process they are incurring deep psychological and political defeat.
Jebusrocks
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:19 pm

Apple is making plenty of money. :)

It was reported that the margin on the 8GB version could be > 50%. That is huge (though surprising). Furthermore, they are probably getting activation bonuses from AT&T and they will also share in monthly profits from customers as well.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Foif » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:38 pm

In agreement with James point, i found some more interesting news:

http://apple.qj.net/

Apple's iPhone is a commercial success but if the magnitude of that success escapes you, here's a little hint: It has set a new record for AT&T sales by selling more phones than the Motorola RAZR did in a month.
Foif
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jebusrocks » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:39 pm

I just heard on the news that if your Iphone runs out of battery, you have to order a new one, which takes around 2 weeks to come, and the price is around the same as buying a new Iphone,
It is curious that the Americans, who calculate so carefully on the possibilities of military victory, do not realize that in the process they are incurring deep psychological and political defeat.
Jebusrocks
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:05 pm

Jebusrocks wrote:I just heard on the news that if your Iphone runs out of battery, you have to order a new one, which takes around 2 weeks to come, and the price is around the same as buying a new Iphone,

Now there’s an insane rumor.

The iPhone has a better battery life than most any smart phone. The average smart phone has a five hour battery life when doing very intensive tasks (such as video, phone calls, etc.). The iPhone has an eight-hour battery life doing these things. I can go days listening to music without a recharge and standby it seems as if the thing hardly even drains. Battery life is great.

The battery is not swappable as it is on most phones. I don't mind this at all given its excellent battery life. Also, it can charge wherever you have USB. All you need is a standard cable. If the battery needs to be replaced you can do so using a program provided by Apple. They charge $85 or so—certainly not anything near the price of the iPhone. It covers a new battery and their own installation. (Installation isn’t that hard anyway, but Apple doesn’t recommend you do it). A regular junk battery for normal phones costs between $40 and $60. So yeah, you do pay a premium for the sleek small case the iPhone has.

Welcome to the world of Apple. Take everything you read with a grain of salt—there are people who will say anything to promote it, and others who will make up any rumor they can imagine to attack it. Back what you hear with research. You can also generally trust what you read one Apple’s site regarding specifications. They always get sued if people think they are off. People love to sue Apple.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Jebusrocks » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:55 pm

oh, thx for the info!! You mean they could just as well charge it? I thought they were talking as in "You can't recharge your battery, just buy a new one!!" :lol: That explains a lot.
Jebusrocks
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:39 pm

I've had a good play with it here, and I can't see 'it'.

I'll wait for 2.0. I'm kinda miffed Apple will get success with this early model. It's balls.

I like the touchy pad thought and it looks good. But as I dabbled with it, I couldn't see this as a phone I'd use, for anything a phone these days lets you do. Gimme the basics, and the perks will seem all that much better.

Fashion accessory at best. This isn't Apple being too ambitious, hell, not even ambitious. Given their 'expected' numbers, I'd say highly unambitious.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby James » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:02 am

Ranbir wrote:I've had a good play with it here, and I can't see 'it'. […]

What phone features do you have in mind? They don’t have voice-initiated calling—and that sucks. But it is going to be added soon with a software patch. Along with file browsing and all that other stuff. The other things it does go well beyond features offered by other phones. But if it doesn’t work for you, then hell, that’s all the matters!

At this point I’m quite certain Apple will exceed their sales goal. That note from AT&T about early adopter activations doesn’t mean much considering AT&T’s own activation server went balls up during the first week due to all the iPhone users trying to set up accounts. Apple themselves sold something like 300,000 iPhones in the first two days. And those sales are still going strong.

That, and customer satisfaction reports for the iPhone are coming back at 90-95%, which is unheard of in the world of mobile phones.

I’m sure 2.0 will be even more exceptional.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:28 am

Ranbir wrote:Fashion accessory at best.

Could there be some truth to that? I heard on G4 TV that although over a million of the things have been sold, only about 10% have been activated. They didn't give a reason.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:42 am

Tigger of Kai wrote:Could there be some truth to that? I heard on G4 TV that although over a million of the things have been sold, only about 10% have been activated. They didn't give a reason.

Those statistics are incorrect. It sounds like they took the AT&T announcement, which was relative only to the first two days, and applied it to some kind of month-to-date iPhone sales. Besides, it would be a pointless fashion accessory—it doesn’t even work, aside from turning on, until it has been activated.

If the United States has turned into that then it is time for me to leave the country.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

PreviousNext

Return to Foreign Kingdoms