Apple being too ambitious...?

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Unread postby James » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:05 pm

Kong Wen wrote:The only problem with iPhone is that it will be expensive. :( Which means people like me (poor) will only be able to get it if phone companies offer deals on it with contract programs.

Yeah, I’ve been wondering about that. Apple may market it counting on people upgrading/replacing their iPod to replace their phone (something they certainly could do) which would result in standard product prices. This is no different from the mobile phone market where your crappy free Nokia costs $300 if you buy it without a contract (which is insane because the device costs very little to make), but it will enjoy all the benefits of buying your own phone without the inflated price—you should be able to sign on with carries with no contract (unless they nail you in a cheaper plan service contract) and you should be able to keep the device between carriers.

Some of these companies do not really like the iPhone because it affects their tight control over these devices. Here’s an example: when Motorolla released the V710, which was supposed to be a revolutionary Bluetooth phone, Verizon had nearly every worthwhile feature disabled because it would have allowed customers to do things on their computer that Verizon wants to charge you for in their service (ring tones, pictures, etc.). Verizon got sued, but this is the standard practice for nearly all companies. Apple would never tolerate that (as demonstrated time and time again in the music industry and now in the movie industry) so it threatens their carefully controlled ecosystem.

But it looks like Apple has managed to pull through and gain the ability to market through T-Mobile and Cingular, which combined with AT&T is now the largest network in the nation. That leaves competitors like Verizon and Sprint as the companies <i>without</i> the phone that might be [losing customers to other carriers] droves. It could force an interesting evolution. Competitive devices like the LG ‘Chocolate’ Phone are pieces of crap (when you really research them) when compared with this upcoming product. It will be interesting to see what happens.

If anyone can do it, it is Apple.
Last edited by James on Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:45 pm

James wrote:But it looks like Apple has managed to pull through and gain the ability to market through T-Mobile and Cingular, which combined with AT&T is now the largest network in the nation. That leaves competitors like Verizon and Sprint as the companies <i>without</i> the phone that might be converting people between carries in droves. It could force an interesting evolution.

That's an interesting point that I hadn't considered. I wonder how things will play out in Canada.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby James » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:32 pm

Kong Wen wrote:That's an interesting point that I hadn't considered. I wonder how things will play out in Canada.

I re-read my wording, though I think you may have picked up on my intention. I was pointing out that if the iPhone really is a phenomenal device that pushes the market in a new direction, companies like Sprint and Verizon could find themselves losing customers and ultimately forced to embrace change. And man is that a good thing.

I have no idea about Canada. How do mobile phone carries handle things there?
Do they follow the same general principles outlined above?
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:37 pm

James wrote:I re-read my wording, though I think you may have picked up on my intention. I was pointing out that if the iPhone really is a phenomenal device that pushes the market in a new direction, companies like Sprint and Verizon could find themselves losing customers and ultimately forced to embrace change. And man is that a good thing.

That's exactly how I interpreted your post.

James wrote:I have no idea about Canada. How do mobile phone carries handle things there?
Do they follow the same general principles outlined above?

I'm woefully ignorant of how things work here, because I don't have a cell phone (nor do I have a use for one). When I did have one for work, I just got the cheapest one through the local phone company (Aliant, formerly NB-Tel, now owned by Bell Canada), a decision based on nothing but loyalty.
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby James » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:40 pm

Kong Wen wrote:I'm woefully ignorant of how things work here, because I don't have a cell phone (nor do I have a use for one). When I did have one for work, I just got the cheapest one through the local phone company (Aliant, formerly NB-Tel, now owned by Bell Canada), a decision based on nothing but loyalty.

Tough to guess what might happen, then. It isn’t the manufacturer that neuters the phones, it is the carrier. The Motorolla V710 (mentioned above) did come with those exceptional features, but Verizon requested that those features be disabled prior to sales, and then they made sure the phones only worked with their service. The Canadian carries would be free to make their own decisions on the matter.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:43 pm

It's my understanding that Aliant (at least) is pretty open about features, though like I said, I am ignorant of how they run their mobility service. If it comes to making people pay for extra features, they may be no different from the next guy.
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby James » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:48 pm

Kong Wen wrote:It's my understanding that Aliant (at least) is pretty open about features, though like I said, I am ignorant of how they run their mobility service. If it comes to making people pay for extra features, they may be no different from the next guy.

It has been my experience that the larger feature-established companies are the ones that become greedy and start milking their customers in any possible way they can imagine. Verizon in the US is <i>particularly</i> vicious in this regard, but its major competitors aren’t much friendlier. Some of the smaller carries like T-Mobile are much more respectful of features, but their quality of service tends to be lower (due to having a smaller network).

Heh… I think the only thing that is slowing the smaller companies down is the fact that they haven’t yet invested in building these huge online services that force you to pay for things like transferring a song to your phone. If they had them, they would probably charge and disable features just as the others do…
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Ranbir » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:40 pm

It won't be called iPhone, since Cisco owns that trademark.

The assumption of the name and it being plastered everywhere in the world. What name do you think Apple will give it now?
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby James » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:49 pm

Good question. CISCO just now announced the iPhone, and they've had that trademark since the '90s, so it is entirely likely that Apple never planned to name the device the 'iPhone' anyway. Rumor sites are now calling it the ApplePhone, but that is just a random name coined with no source. iPod Phone is an unpopular but commonly mentioned term. But nobody really has any idea what they will call it.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:00 pm

Regardless, they have a wealth of corny options. iCell, iMobile, iTalk, iPod Phone, ApplePhone, whatever. I don't think that not calling it iPhone will hurt the product at all.
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

PreviousNext

Return to Foreign Kingdoms