Apple being too ambitious...?

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Apple being too ambitious...?

Unread postby Sern » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:49 pm

...if they actually pursue this project. It sounds neat, but is it really worth having? I say no.

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-96...l?tag=cnetfd.mt

One of several concepts:

Another mock-up:

Sern
Tyro

Unread postby Ranbir » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:05 am

They are crazy. Or maybe I am crazy, I'm still on a monochrome Nokia 3330e.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Shadowlink » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:07 am

holy hell a better sidekick
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby James » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:08 am

The view is split on the matter, but surveys already indicate that plenty of people are eager to get their hands on one. Last I heard there will potentially be two models of the upcoming iPhone. One, a basic music player/phone, will feature the capabilities of an iPod along with those of a cellular phone. The other is supposed to be far more advanced, featuring things like video conferencing, a slideout keyboard, and other similar services. The later is also supposed to have dual batteries to make sure that one service doesn’t kill off the basic function of a phone—receiving phonecalls.

Oh, and the thing is supposed to be very slim.

Jobs has apparently been so excited about this that he has been speaking rather openly among friends—something he usually doesn’t do. I don’t know what to think, but I am holding out on a new phone to see what happens. Either way one of the biggest problems with the mobile phone market is usability and interface design. Hell, <i>product design</i> in general. These are all strongpoints of Apple, and if they even got just this right I would be thrilled to own the product.

My vote goes for them revolutionizing the mobile phone industry.

(And who doesn’t want to have one less electronic device in their pocket?)
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Re: Apple being too ambitious...?

Unread postby James » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:24 am

Sern wrote:...if they actually pursue this project. It sounds neat, but is it really worth having? I say no.

Oh, and they have been pursuing the project for years. In fact, it was ready a while ago, but it wasn’t what Steve Jobs envisioned. He recalled it and gave them a ten-point list of things to improve (such as battery life, how thin it was supposed to be, etc.) and now it is done, or pretty much complete. In fact, the first version I mentioned above is expected to become available as soon as January next year.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:47 am

I don't think the iPhone idea could possibly be considered too ambitious. Making phones is not a big make-or-break endeavour for an electronics company, especially not one like Apple.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby James » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:58 am

Kong Wen wrote:I don't think the iPhone idea could possibly be considered too ambitious. Making phones is not a big make-or-break endeavour for an electronics company, especially not one like Apple.

Yeah. Apple has lost big on much bigger projects (the Cube and the Newton come to mind). I can’t imagine this one being a failure though. They are building off a market they already completely dominate.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:35 am

Yes. Also consider the fact that cell phones have a very short market life (people tend to own cell phones for about 2-3 years before trading up or getting new ones). Apple isn't going to have to worry about replacing an existing dominant product, since there will be a steady stream of people looking for new phones regardless of when they're introduced. In fact, now is as good a time as any to introduce the iPhone, given that iPod still has momentum on the portable music scene.
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Re: Apple being too ambitious...?

Unread postby Sern » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:22 am

James wrote:
Sern wrote:...if they actually pursue this project. It sounds neat, but is it really worth having? I say no.

Oh, and they have been pursuing the project for years. In fact, it was ready a while ago, but it wasn’t what Steve Jobs envisioned. He recalled it and gave them a ten-point list of things to improve (such as battery life, how thin it was supposed to be, etc.) and now it is done, or pretty much complete. In fact, the first version I mentioned above is expected to become available as soon as January next year.

Wow, if it does hit January then I might consider getting it, since I've been planning to grab my new phone during this upcomming January anyways.

I guess I really didn't mean that it's not a good idea, because we all know that Apple isn't going to lose alot of money any time soon, but I simply meant that hopefully Apple won't get too far off track and start making out of wack products. But hey, they succeeded with Macs and iPods, so why not the phone biz?

Might as well go all out with my next phone.
Sern
Tyro

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:22 am

The only problem with iPhone is that it will be expensive. :( Which means people like me (poor) will only be able to get it if phone companies offer deals on it with contract programs.
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Next

Return to Foreign Kingdoms