Macintosh vs. Microsoft

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Which is better?

Macintosh
27%
Microsoft
73%

Total votes : 52

Macintosh vs. Microsoft

Unread postby Jeremy » Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:05 am

Which do you think is better? I say Macintosh obviously and here's why:

If you think about it the better Macintosh is better and could get bigger. Macintosh have a slim chance (less than 1%) chance of getting a virus when connecting to internet while Windows has a 100% chance of getting one when it connects. If Macintosh would get a better selling plan they would be a lot better than before. A windows also requires 4 times as much maintenance than a mac for an entire K-8 school.
Jeremy
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Asellas » Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:16 am

I don't like either of them, both have their pros and cons but my favourite would have to be Linux. Nightmare to start, dream once you get it going. I'd rather have Mcintosh than Microsoft which is what I am on now.
"Winter is coming".
"I like hurting people...it's what I do best because I am heartless".
"Love is for poets, romance is for playwrights, and sex is for procreation - I desire none of them"
Asellas
Lord of Winterfell

Re: Macintosh vs. Microsoft

Unread postby Tyler » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:59 pm

MaChaoMaster wrote:Windows has a 100% chance of getting one when it connects

Clearly baised. Windows does not have a high chance of getting a virus when it connects to the internet I only had two viruses. Minior too which were made worse becuase I tried to manually erase them :wink: . Seriously with anit-software you will not get a virus.

WARNING LINK BELOW READ BEFORE ENTER
This link below contains a trojan, and is only given to prove a point. Now many to not want to expose themselfs to a trojan but if you think the Macintosh is virus and trojan free go there and see if your computer becomes infected. I got this myself a long time ago so I know it's easy to clean none the less you have been warned. Windows is affected but anti software will easilly warn you and clean it out for you.
Wanring Link Contains Trojan
WARNING READ BEFORE ENTERING THE LINK
Tyler
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:16 pm

Asellas wrote:I don't like either of them, both have their pros and cons but my favourite would have to be Linux. Nightmare to start, dream once you get it going. I'd rather have Mcintosh than Microsoft which is what I am on now.

Linux is in no way as user-friendly as either Windows or Macintosh, but it does offer support for new technologies at a rather quick pace. Macintosh and in many cases, Windows, do the same, but frequently their support is implemented in such a way that only newer machines get it. The problem with Linux is that you don’t get games or the true professional software. GIMP is nice, for example, but it is not Photoshop. It does at least have an attractive price tag. Consistency in Linux, however, is a very frustrating negative of the OS.

I’ll personally stick with OS X. It gets me Macintosh-professional engineering with UNIX in the core, so I can get most Linux/UNIX software in addition to Macintosh software without having all the frustrating problems and annoyances that plague Linux.

Liu Ce wrote:Clearly baised. Windows does not have a high chance of getting a virus when it connects to the internet I only had two viruses. Minior too which were made worse becuase I tried to manually erase them :wink: . Seriously with anit-software you will not get a virus.

You generally have to earn viruses. Get them from email or do the wrong thing on the Internet. There are, however, countless viruses out there for Windows and it is only all-too-easy to get them, and no, having an anti-virus program does not mean you won’t—it just reduces your chances if you use it properly, and can help clean them up when you do get them.

What is the greatest strike against Windows for me though? All that other trash like Spyware and Adware. Someone who knows what they are doing can get around much of this by ditching Internet Explorer and making some modifications to the OS, but it is still sad that these problems exist for everyone that doesn't know as much about what they are doing. You can remove this trash with various programs, and protect against it as well, but it does gradually decay your OS installation.

And to answer the Mac question, there has only been one 'virus' to hit the Mac community in the last while worth even speaking about, and it looks like it might have even been made by an anti-virus maker to sell their own product. It never caught on. Macintosh users can live wonderfully without even installing anti-virus, anti-spyware, and anti-adware crap, because those problems at present do not exist on the platform.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Ts'ao Jian » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:02 pm

Quick take of my thoughts on the subject, feel free to correct any wrong assumptions I have, as I have never seriously looked into Macs (due to reasons listed below...*coughgamescough*).

I'm going to have to say windows, simply because of its widespread acceptance. Due to this, every game that comes out for the computer will come out on windows, while not every game is made for macs. I also think that the acceptance is why there are so many viruses on windows relative to on Macs- people who want to release a virus/spyware/adware/etc. will have a wider range of targets if they write it for windows. If Macs become as popularly accepted as PCs are, they will also have more viruses (at least that's my theory...), but I would probably use them on account of more games would be made for them...

As far as Linux, I know practically nothing about it...
Now heroes are men who cherish lofty designs in their bosoms and have plans to achieve them; they have all-embracing schemes, and the whole world is at their mercy. -Ts'ao Ts'ao

Hell is other people. -Tagline of No Exit
Ts'ao Jian
Langzhong

Unread postby GLUEMAN » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:36 pm

I used Macs at school, and I have to admit, they look nice... but i'm just not used to using them...
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y & ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
GLUEMAN
Scholar

Unread postby Rhiannon » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:57 pm

Moving to Foreign Kingdoms.

Oh, and my vote's for a Mac. James wooed me to the dark side, though perhaps unwittingly.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby James » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:24 am

Ts'ao Jian wrote:If Macs become as popularly accepted as PCs are, they will also have more viruses (at least that's my theory...), but I would probably use them on account of more games would be made for them...

Whichever is the most popular will enjoy the most viruses. I do, however, question whether or not viruses released for Macintosh would be as efficient as those released for Windows as Apple has had much more peaceful times to modify and change their OS, in addition to a chance to completely remake it from the ground up with modern technology (OS X). Still, the only way we’d ever see is for Mac to become more popular than Windows.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Tyler » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:31 am

Well is that a possible thought in the near future what or both company's production numbers?
Tyler
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhang Ren of Shu » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:31 am

Personally, i would have to think that the most popular would have the most viruses for them. For my vote I will have to go with Apple, Macintosh, mainly because it has hardware for things i do, like fooling around with clay animation, and their just fine with papers.

As for Linux, as Ts'ao Jian said, i dont know anything about it. So to find out about it should i just do a search, or can one of you give me a link, thanks.
Hey..... I havent posted for...... a month and a bit..... well hopfully I'm back....
Zhang Ren of Shu
Master

Location: In a room full of soft objects..... very soft objects....

Next

Return to Foreign Kingdoms