Computer Assistance Thread

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Re: Computer Assistance Thread

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:13 pm

Thanks, Adrian and James. You've been very helpful. :)
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Starscream » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:38 pm

James wrote:Starscream, long beeps or a series of long or short beeps on boot can sometimes represent certain error codes. You might try searching for your computer model and 'beep codes', or something along those lines, and you may find a list which could help you out. It will generally say something along the lines of, 'a long beep is x, a long beep and a short beep is y, two short beeps is z', etc. I don't remember encountering many errors which were simply represented with a long beep, though.

Hi James, it is the normal beep sound except that it takes ages to beep. There was only one incident that the beep was a long whiny one a few months back and it did scare me. I really should dig out my motherboard menu to read it seems...

Thanks Adrian and James! :D
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:24 am

Lady Wu wrote:Thanks, Adrian and James. You've been very helpful. :)

Starscream wrote:Hi James, it is the normal beep sound except that it takes ages to beep. There was only one incident that the beep was a long whiny one a few months back and it did scare me. I really should dig out my motherboard menu to read it seems...

Thanks Adrian and James! :D

No problem - glad to help.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:40 am

So, recently I experienced the fun of dealing with a FakeHDD-style virus and in the course of fixing everything I came across a nifty utility that saved me a lot of time and effort and just wanted to post a link here in case it might prove useful to others.

Although I was able to manually restore my System Restore files, remove the viral infection and restore my ability to see/use my files, almost everything on my computer was still flagged as 'Hidden' and was in the annoying faint/translucent icon format.

I really didn't want to have to manually go through and change everything and i stumbled across a program called Unhide.exe that did it for me - took about half an hour to process about about 600 gigs of stuff.

Those types of viruses also tend to relocate your start menu and desktop icons and shortcuts and the link below not only directs you to the program but also gives you manual instructions on restoring those other items as well.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic405109.html

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:50 am

So the fan on my Radeon 5870 card recently started rattling and making an awful amount of noise. Unfortunately the manufacturer's warranty from Sapphire recently expired. Contacting them was an adventure btw -- they seem to have almost no presence outside of Asia. I was told that even if the warranty were still good, I would have had to ship the card to Hong Kong, wait about a month and a half for a replacement, and pay a sizeable shipping charge.

I decided to try and fix the fan myself, armed with knowledge from a similar problem I experienced years ago. This time it was more difficult: the 5870's fan has no opening through which to apply the oil. Fortunately, I had an advantage I did not have back then -- Youtube.

I was about to take apart the card's casing in hopes of getting at the fan from the inside, but upon watching some videos of the card being taken apart I discerned that that side of the fan is even less accessible, with an additional layer of plastic covering it. Then finally I stumbled upon this video by TorikC. I figured his solution was so hilarious I had to try it.

Using a drill bit, I bored by hand into the spot he indicates in the video. It was hard work, which perhaps partially explains why he was swearing like a maniac the whole time. Finally I got through the plastic, dripped in four or five drops of sewing machine oil, and sealed up the hole with some duct tape. Tests of the fan at both low and high speeds have produced no rattling noise so far. :>

Hopefully this fix holds up, but I learned some things regardless. Mainly this: pay the ten bucks extra and get an ASUS card!
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:04 pm

Hey guys, I'm having problems with my iTunes at the moment - it starting months ago but it only just occured to me to ask the Scholars about it!

I've got a PC (as in not a MAC) and it ran iTunes with no problems for 3 or 4 years with no issues. I didn't get round to downloading a newer version of it as there was no need however several months ago I plugged my new at the time iPhone in and it said I needed a newer version of iTunes to be able to run it. Fair enough I thought so started downloading a new version. However halfway through uploading it it crashed. It's deleted my old iTunes but won't let me download the new one. Really don't understand why. I'll upload the message I get whenever I try and download it again when I get home!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:02 pm

Sun Fin wrote:Hey guys, I'm having problems with my iTunes at the moment - it starting months ago but it only just occured to me to ask the Scholars about it!

I've got a PC (as in not a MAC) and it ran iTunes with no problems for 3 or 4 years with no issues. I didn't get round to downloading a newer version of it as there was no need however several months ago I plugged my new at the time iPhone in and it said I needed a newer version of iTunes to be able to run it. Fair enough I thought so started downloading a new version. However halfway through uploading it it crashed. It's deleted my old iTunes but won't let me download the new one. Really don't understand why. I'll upload the message I get whenever I try and download it again when I get home!

I would go to the Apple website and download the standalone version of iTunes, then run the installer. Have you got a backup of your computer data? I imagine everything should carry over despite the crash.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Previous

Return to Foreign Kingdoms