Testing Requests from Viewers

Questions, feedback, suggestions, and Kongming's Archives projects.

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:11 pm

I don't know exactly where this should go, so I figured I would usurp this thread.

I like that little hover-mousey feature that explains abbreviations for you, but how do you decide which abbreviations to explain? I noticed that N/A doesn't get an explanation. Is it because it's too obvious? OST appears in your updates section, and also doesn't get an explanation. Do you just endeavour to explain all of the "terminology"-type abbreviations that are used regularly throughout the site?
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby James » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:10 am

All it is, is some extra HTML that I toss in wherever I feel it would benefit the viewers. Sometimes I just plain old forget to add it though. OST is an instance where I normally would have used it, but N/A is one where some knowledge is assumed. If you see pages that could obviously use some work here let me know and I'll toss it in. Unfortunately though, this is yet another feature of HTML that Internet Explorer doesn’t properly support.

<abbr title="[eXtensible] Hyper Text Markup Language">[X]HTML</abbr>
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Morg » Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:40 pm

Like Kong Wen, I'm unsure of where to put this so here goes nothing:

For a while I've been wondering about the footnotes for bios. I really hate footnotes due to the intrusive nature of them; you either have to jump to the bottom of the page and then back up or they are included at the end of the paragraph they relate to (like the Lu Xun example posted on the previous page) which I personally find detracts from the bio.

So with that in mind, why not make the footnotes collapsable like on the FAQ page: http://kongming.net/faq/ If done like that then the reader has the option of reading the footnote or can carry on with the bio uninterrupted and then later read the footnotes if they choose to do so.

Any thoughts big cheese?
"If you do not turn your back on me, I shall not on you." - Cao Cao to Pang De
Morg
The Man

Unread postby James » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:09 pm

You know… that might actually be a very good idea.
http://kongming.net/novel/sgz/luxun.php
What do you think?
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:38 pm

Morg, you're a genius. :D

If we do do this, should the notes come in directly after the sentence in question rather than at the end of the paragraph? I'm asking because there was one longish paragraph in the Lu Xun bio, and I kept clicking the (II) and thought nothing was happening (it turned out that I just had to scroll down on the screen). :P
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Morg » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:40 pm

The weird thing is that I thought of this when James first came up with the idea of placing the notes in the bio, instead of lumping them at the end...I just forgot to post the idea :oops:

I like it but as Lady Wu said, on long paragraphs it does seem like nothing happens. However, if the idea was implemented then I'm sure people would get used to having to scroll down a little.
Morg
The Man

Unread postby James » Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:52 am

Hmm… unfortunately, due to the nature of HTML, having the information appear after a sentence rather than a paragraph would cause more than a little trouble. It would completely break the flow of the document when it was printed (which reminds me, I need to have a good look at it to make sure those notes even print on Lu Xun, then work with some CSS to see if I can avoid problems there).

I’m not too worried about that though. If I actually implemented it across the whole site people would quickly get used to the way in which the notes appeared, and they’d know to scroll down to see the bottom of the paragraph in question. Now I’m worried about how this is going to print…
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:02 pm

There we go. I had to rewrite the way in which the toggle JavaScript works, but I managed to make it backward compatible, and thus, painless to work with across the whole site. At first the method I was using made it impossible to print the notes (which would have been a show breaker) but it should work flawlessly now.

Awesome, I really wanted that note system to work out.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Morg » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:38 pm

That is truly awesome....forking good job James!
Morg
The Man

Unread postby James » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:37 pm

I am now working with the UTF-8 encoding (Unicode).

It could save me a lot of time in displaying pages, but I want to make certain that I don’t encounter any unfortunate problems. I have prepared a little test page that displays three instances of some text. I would like to know if there are any discrepancies across the three instances. The top is Latin encoded, the current format used by KMA, the middle is Unicode encoded, the format I wish to use. The bottom is an image showing what the top two instances should look like.

Notes:
- The Chinese characters will not display without Chinese language support.
- Font size and family may vary between the top two instances, and the image.

I’m looking for any cases in which the top two do not look like each other.

Please check as many browsers as you have free time to check.

http://kongming.net/test.php

Thank you for any help you can provide.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

PreviousNext

Return to Kongming's Archives