Sanguo Yanyi Biography Thread (Preparation)

Questions, feedback, suggestions, and Kongming's Archives projects.

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:49 am

James wrote:Of course, as also mentioned above, you are more than welcome to include all the historical footnotes you like, so people reading the biography can understand what actually took place.

While a couple of historical notes to explain key points aren't too bad, I have an aversion to too many notes in a SGYY biography. If every diversion from history is pointed out in a note, it just seems like the whole idea of compiling a narrative of events from the novel is totally undermined. Not to mention the kind of novel vs. history factionalization that this kind of direct juxtaposition is bound to breed.

Your mileage may vary! ;)
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Sam » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:31 am

Of course, you're completely right Jason, James. In the back of my head, I knew I shouldn't alter the death of Lu Meng, but a strong part of me just didn't want to glorify Guan Yu and undermine Lu Meng. As Sun Quan put it: "Hearing you, master, is like breaking out of a thicket and into a clearing. My mind is made up. I have no further doubts. Discussion of joint action to wipe out Cao Cao shall begin this very day."

Well, apart from the Cao part. :wink:

James wrote:A community biography is a wonderful idea. I might enjoy helping in something like that myself here and there! Especially if it is one of the really big nasty ones like—*gulp*—Zhuge Liang.

Excellent! I wanted to recruit as many people for the project as was willing. Broaching on that subject, has anyone heard anything of Morg? I haven't seen him around in so long, and his assistance in a community-based project would be greatly helpful.

Kong Wen wrote:While a couple of historical notes to explain key points aren't too bad, I have an aversion to too many notes in a SGYY biography. If every diversion from history is pointed out in a note, it just seems like the whole idea of compiling a narrative of events from the novel is totally undermined. Not to mention the kind of novel vs. history factionalization that this kind of direct juxtaposition is bound to breed.

I've always taken the opposite approach, really. I always thought it essential to point out the differences between novel and history in SGYY biographies, for the sole reason that if I was reading up on the Three Kingdoms era for the first time, I know that I'd want to know what was fiction, and what was fact. While SGYY biographies should focus on what their name implies, adding historical footnotes gives readers a fuller grasp of the officer in question, and greatly increases the worth of the biography as a whole - at least in my opinion.

This is a subject I'd quite like to hear feedback on, actually. What are everyone else's views?
Otherwise known as Wang Ping (Zijun)
Sam
Sweeper of Invaders

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:06 pm

Just to make a tangential note for a second: I'm going to be writing Xu Shu's SGYY biography over the holidays, since I'll need something to distract me from my thesis.

[EDIT: Oops, I accidentally got too excited and finished it already. Looks like I'll have to find some other non-thesis project to distract myself with this month...]
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Asellas » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:17 pm

I've made the final edition of the Ma Chao and Huangfu Song biographies. if they are great for KMA - terrific. If they aren't, well, hard luck ^_^
"Winter is coming".
"I like hurting people...it's what I do best because I am heartless".
"Love is for poets, romance is for playwrights, and sex is for procreation - I desire none of them"
Asellas
Lord of Winterfell

Unread postby Jordan » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:00 am

Right-o! I've finished the Pang Tong and King Mulu biographies so now I'm pondering what to do next in regards to novel bios. Currently I've decided to resume working on my non-novel related Yuan Shu biography but after that I can see that there are a multitude of choices for characters. I'm debating between writing a Ling Tong biography, a Xiahou Dun biography or something completely different. I think I would prefer working on a Xiahou Dun one over a Ling Tong one since Ling Tong's spread out in too many places throughout the book and it would make piecing together his story somewhat difficult. Moreover there is already a Xiahou Dun avatar on the ROTK 11 Koei page that would make an interesting change from all the ROTK 9 and 10 portraits. If anybody has any objections and/or is writing a biography for Xiahou Dun currently, please tell me so I can direct my focus on some other venture.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:33 pm

I think a lot of people would love to read an Xiahou Dun biography.
I know I would very much like to see it.

He’s also my wife’s favorite character. :)
(And one of my favorites as well.)
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Jordan » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:06 pm

Xiahou Dun is too hard for me I think...

I might do a Zhang Lu Sanguo Yanyi or quick biography though, mainly because he doesn't appear to have any bios on him yet. If my internet stopped malfunctioning, disconnecting and disallowing me to access the online novel site I'd start soon, since I've been at home ill for several days.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:41 pm

Ooo… Zhang Lu would be sexy.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Jordan » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:28 am

So much for Zhang Lu...>:(

I was up to the part where Cao Cao conquers Yangping pass from Zhang Lu in my bio when suddenly microsoft word gives me a message saying 'omfg cannot find autosave file for historical and novel biographies' or something along that line. Then suddenly the computer freezes and I have to close microsoft word. When I try to open the file that I had all my biographies, including Zhang Lu, saved in, it said that the file was invalid. When I looked in my documents, the document 'historical and novel biographies' was no longer there.

I don't want to type up 3 pages on Zhang Lu again, so I guess I'm off to look for somebody else to make a bio on or something (maybe Lu Kang of Wu?). This has been a cruddy week for me, and apparently my computer/internet connection are conspiring against me.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:05 pm

What happened to your biographies sucks, I must say.
Still cool to see Lu Kang. :)
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

PreviousNext

Return to Kongming's Archives