Kongming's Archives Content Requests

Questions, feedback, suggestions, and Kongming's Archives projects.

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sat Sep 14, 2002 4:32 am

Liu Jin wrote:hm...if you could...will there be any of a section what thier last name means? Since i'm not chinese..i don't know any.

Chinese last names, although using Chinese characters that can mean something, don't carry those meanings. For example, my last name is Hu, which is the same character as the word for "barbarian" and the word "why". However, there is good evidence that my ancestors had nothing to do with barbarians, and I think they weren't particularly inquisitive. So it's pretty random...

Is this what you mean? If you still want a literal translation of the meanings of the last names of RTK characters, I can still do that...
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Liu Jin » Sat Sep 14, 2002 2:48 pm

hm..then if you could...actually tell me what my family name is? Its actually Huang..and my name is Jin...in chinese, and I'm pretty sure thats my full name
Liu Jin

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Sat Sep 14, 2002 6:10 pm

Liu Jin wrote:hm..then if you could...actually tell me what my family name is? Its actually Huang..and my name is Jin...in chinese, and I'm pretty sure thats my full name

Could be the Huang as in Yellow, or the Huang as in Emperor, it really depends on how you write it as hanzi
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sat Sep 14, 2002 10:18 pm

If it's a family name then it is the character for "yellow". The character for "emperor" isn't used alone as a family name (eg., Huangfu is a family name, as seen in SGYY).
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Sep 15, 2002 3:50 am

Could we have a table of the corresponding Gregorian calendar years for the Chinese dynastic years? I believe William made a complete list for SOC, but I can't find it anywhere.
Lady Wu

Unread postby Zhang Ren » Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:02 am

Lady Wu wrote:If it's a family name then it is the character for "yellow". The character for "emperor" isn't used alone as a family name (eg., Huangfu is a family name, as seen in SGYY).

I believed he meant Huang as in Huang Zhong.
Zhang Ren
Student

Unread postby James » Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:15 am

Lady Wu wrote:Could we have a table of the corresponding Gregorian calendar years for the Chinese dynastic years? I believe William made a complete list for SOC, but I can't find it anywhere.

That sounds like a great idea. I will start looking around to see if I can find the information. Maybe I'll even find it buried somewhere in SOC.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:26 am

Zhuge Kongming wrote:That sounds like a great idea. I will start looking around to see if I can find the information. Maybe I'll even find it buried somewhere in SOC.
Good luck finding it in SOC. I had a link to the page, but it doesn't work anymore, probably because I'm not a mod there anymore.
Lady Wu

Unread postby James » Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:31 am

Lady Wu wrote:
Zhuge Kongming wrote:That sounds like a great idea. I will start looking around to see if I can find the information. Maybe I'll even find it buried somewhere in SOC.

Good luck finding it in SOC. I had a link to the page, but it doesn't work anymore, probably because I'm not a mod there anymore.

No point in looking then. Maybe it was deleted or found inside their moderator forum. It sounds like the sort of thing that might turn up on the Internet given some good searching.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Wed Sep 18, 2002 10:09 am

I have that list.
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

PreviousNext

Return to Kongming's Archives