Greetings, Scholars

Questions, feedback, suggestions, and Kongming's Archives projects.

Greetings, Scholars

Unread postby Marghana » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:37 am

It is with the greatest pleasure that I am posting for the first time. Aside from greeting everyone here with the deepest respect, I want to say that I am a huge fan of Romance of Three Kingdoms. I have been a student of Tai Chi Chuan for fourteen years, and learned of this great work from my Sifu, who venerates Kwan Ti. Wishing to know more, I delved into this wonderful novel and also explored the history it is based on, and found that the story of Guan Yu is important even eighteen hundred years later.

This year I watched the 2010 tv series Three Kingdoms on YouTube, and loved it despite certain deviations from the text. I think. Here comes my first question: The translation of Luo Guanzhong's text I have access to is the Brewitt-Taylor, and I have come to suspect there are serious flaws there, not so much as far as language is concerned, but rather some censorship. What are anyone's thoughts on this?

Also, another question: in the 1995 tv series, which I have seen but can only follow by context and story line (no English subtitles) there is a scene in the Five Passes and Six Generals that contradicts the text I have: after the burning of the inn at Yingyang Pass where Guan Yu and his group are saved by Hu Ban, the commander Wang Zhi throws Hu Ban's head in a bag at Guan Yu and is killed for it. Guan Yu buries his friend's head and mourns him. I found nothing of this in the text of the novel. Does anyone know where this part of the story could come from? Some side legend? Some similar story? Thanks.
Marghana
Tyro

Re: Greetings, Scholars

Unread postby Havashii » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:54 am

Cen you answered the question for me?
Havashii
Tyro

Return to Kongming's Archives