why is this website so inactive?

Questions, feedback, suggestions, and Kongming's Archives projects.

why is this website so inactive?

Unread postby Korin » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:12 pm

hardly anybody uses it, how come it's so inactive?
Soshi.
Korin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: why is this website so inactive?

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:09 pm

This is an issue that new members bring up every so often. The site goes through periods of seeming little activity whilst at other times is hugely active. What normally causes a surge in new posts is Koei releasing a new game or a group of new members all arriving at the same time (who actually sticks around). Many of us old heads have discussed the 3K period so much now (in general and with each other) that unless something new happens, like Cao Cao's tomb being discovered, it takes someone new coming in with a new view point to start the ball rolling. I know where most people stand on Liu Bei, Cao Cao, ZGL, Sun Ce, Guan Yu etc and if I was going to convince anyone it would have already happened!

The wider issue is that with the dwindling popularity of DW the number of English speakers getting interested in the 3K period is in to decline. Before I got involved in the 3K forum world (so I guess ancient history these days :lol: ) there were many English speaking 3K sites but they've all faded away and SoSZ is all that is left. I was hopeful that things like Red Cliff's would prompt new interest but it seems that hope was in vain.

If you want to spark activity go back and find old, unique threads and make new points that will spark conversation, I know that’s easier said than done, I spent 2 years trying to do that!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Korin » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:40 pm

Sun Fin wrote:This is an issue that new members bring up every so often. The site goes through periods of seeming little activity whilst at other times is hugely active. What normally causes a surge in new posts is Koei releasing a new game or a group of new members all arriving at the same time (who actually sticks around). Many of us old heads have discussed the 3K period so much now (in general and with each other) that unless something new happens, like Cao Cao's tomb being discovered, it takes someone new coming in with a new view point to start the ball rolling. I know where most people stand on Liu Bei, Cao Cao, ZGL, Sun Ce, Guan Yu etc and if I was going to convince anyone it would have already happened!

The wider issue is that with the dwindling popularity of DW the number of English speakers getting interested in the 3K period is in to decline. Before I got involved in the 3K forum world (so I guess ancient history these days :lol: ) there were many English speaking 3K sites but they've all faded away and SoSZ is all that is left. I was hopeful that things like Red Cliff's would prompt new interest but it seems that hope was in vain.

If you want to spark activity go back and find old, unique threads and make new points that will spark conversation, I know that’s easier said than done, I spent 2 years trying to do that!

I can bump old threads without problems then, right? As long I'm not spamming.
Soshi.
Korin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:54 pm

As long as you’re saying something more than 'I agree' then yes feel free to resurrect old threads. :)
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Korin » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:10 am

http://www.chinahistoryforum.com/ is good but it has loads of guests, like here.
Soshi.
Korin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:02 pm

Korin wrote:http://www.chinahistoryforum.com/ is good but it has loads of guests, like here.

Yeah I have an account other there, I had a period where I was active on 4 or 5 sites but these days I rarely have time for much more then here and I'm only occasionally here.
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:54 pm

I guess you would need to define inactivity, right? I visit probably once a week and there are usually 2 or 3 pages of threads with new posts. That may not be a huge number, but I think I would be correct in saying there is daily activity and conversation at SoSZ. Not all of it may be stuff you want to discuss, but - there it is.

Also, Sun Fin is correct to point out that for many the need to debate 3K has waned, especially the longer the time here. Even outside of 3K, my free time is so limited that spending arguing - even in a civil and constructive manner - is draining and not really a priority. I may read through others' posts now and then and see what people are saying, but I'm not usually a participant in the back-and-forth.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Korin » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:58 pm

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/inactive

1. Not active or tending to be active.
Soshi.
Korin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:04 pm

Liu Yante makes a good point that there are many simular size and age boards which would love to have the level of activity that this site sees. There are quite a few posts a day in multiple threads.

However if you compare the site to when i joined towards the end of '07 (the end of the glory days as many seem to see it) there are no where near as many active members or threads. The reasons for why I think this is I have already laid out.
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Korin » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:57 pm

I joined when it was inactive lool
Soshi.
Korin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Kongming's Archives