KMA Schedule

Questions, feedback, suggestions, and Kongming's Archives projects.

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:47 pm

I'm not satisfied with my own work lately, I feel like the quality leaves much to be disered and I want to either take KMA to a new level, or I will just go on like this and be sad..
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby James » Fri Dec 06, 2002 11:22 pm

Zhou Gongjin wrote:I'm not satisfied with my own work lately, I feel like the quality leaves much to be disered and I want to either take KMA to a new level, or I will just go on like this and be sad..

If you have an idea feel free to propose it. If you aren’t happy with your work put more time into it. There is no rush. As I said, it is only as interesting and high quality as we make it.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Sat Dec 07, 2002 12:59 am

The N&H section can be revised when it comes to layout. Right now it looks very complicated while I think that it should be more simple.
I think the Han Emperors section should have less presentation and more practical use of space.
I want to know from viewers/readers what they like and dislike. I know what they like but not what they don't like, which makes it damn near impossible to know what I should improve on.
I also want to know wether or not people feel like my work is biased, since some people seem to think so yet they don't explain it.
Basically I need feedback that I can use, not feedback that's like Oh it's cool", or "You're biased."
But for the past few months nobody has seemed to bother with helping me on this, which means I'm stuck since I'm not sure wether my work is considered amateur or whatever.
And yeah, I think my head will explode soon.
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby Jimayo » Sat Dec 07, 2002 1:11 am

Zhou Gongjin wrote:The N&H section can be revised when it comes to layout. Right now it looks very complicated while I think that it should be more simple.
I think the Han Emperors section should have less presentation and more practical use of space.
I want to know from viewers/readers what they like and dislike. I know what they like but not what they don't like, which makes it damn near impossible to know what I should improve on.
I also want to know wether or not people feel like my work is biased, since some people seem to think so yet they don't explain it.
Basically I need feedback that I can use, not feedback that's like Oh it's cool", or "You're biased."
But for the past few months nobody has seemed to bother with helping me on this, which means I'm stuck since I'm not sure wether my work is considered amateur or whatever.
And yeah, I think my head will explode soon.

You're work I don't feel is biased, just you. You do a good job being unbiased when you write up bio's and what not.
98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
Jimayo
Lord of the Thirteen Hells

Location: Nothingness. And that's where I'll be returning in oh, about 15 minutes.

Unread postby James » Sat Dec 07, 2002 1:35 am

Zhou Gongjin wrote:The N&H section can be revised when it comes to layout. Right now it looks very complicated while I think that it should be more simple.

That is a time-consuming process, something I only do on occasion. I would rather dedicate time to new projects than to revisions. Still, I do go about with them from time to time. The eye candy on the Han rulers page doesn’t really disrupt content either, I have more messed up pages to work on first.

If you have any ideas for improving navigation, I would be happy to hear them. I will probably make a site map soon as well.

Zhou Gongjin wrote:I want to know from viewers/readers what they like and dislike. I know what they like but not what they don't like, which makes it damn near impossible to know what I should improve on.

People almost never offer practical feedback, you know that as well as I. I don’t have time to set up some sort of database driven online feedback submission too either. We will just have to go with what we hear and our own judgment.

Zhou Gongjin wrote:I also want to know wether or not people feel like my work is biased, since some people seem to think so yet they don't explain it.

Don’t worry about that. Your personal opinions are biased, but you do a great job at keeping it out of your work, that is what is important. Besides, if you did take a real biased step in your online work some of us here would be letting you know quite quickly. I have learned that most of the biased complaints focused at KMA are actually about the amount of material focused on one kingdom versus that of others. We aren’t paying people to work, and we encourage people to do what they like, so it is a normal result.

Zhou Gongjin wrote:Basically I need feedback that I can use, not feedback that's like Oh it's cool", or "You're biased."

Welcome to the world I have been living for many years.

Zhou Gongjin wrote:But for the past few months nobody has seemed to bother with helping me on this, which means I'm stuck since I'm not sure wether my work is considered amateur or whatever.

I call our work amateur simply because it is not professional. Rafe de Crespigny is professional. Moss Roberts is professional. We are educated and skillful amateurs, but that doesn’t stop me from continuing with my hobby.

If you let opinions of other people hold you back you won’t get anywhere. I just do my best on the site no matter what people have to say about me. If I get a compliment I am happy, if I get a complaint I read it, consider it, and then toss it away. If there is something I can do it gets done. If not, I basically just forget about it.

Don’t let people get to you, and don’t be dependant on feedback over the Internet.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

hello again

Unread postby Dennis_old » Sun Dec 22, 2002 6:24 am

Hello, I just happened to be in this website again because I just started playing Romance of the 3 kingdoms 7 for PS2 and was searching Yahoo for tips on that game. (It's hard!) So obviously one of the Yahoo listings led me to kongming,net.

Anyways to the point, I wanted to see how that Xiang Yu thing was progessing and came to the forum to see what was up. Having just read this thread I have the feeling I may have dampered Jonathan Wu's spirit with the plagiarism post I did.

Well what I want to say is you should not feel like people are not appreciating the work you are doing for free. Everyone enjoys historical facts and stories, I really do not think anyone on this website would complain about reading who this fellow, Zhu Ge Liang really is etc... If anyone really had any complaints in how informed these biographies should be, they should be trying to buy the books at the store or learning chinese to read more about Chinese history. (learn chinese ha ha)

Also from my Plagiarism posts, it feels like you have many fans who like what you do , so you really don't need to feel like no one is enjoying your work anymore. (maybe you don't feel this way but I got the general impression you do from your post from dec 05)

Whatever my opinion is over your post with Xiang Yu, I must tell you that the other biographies on the han dynasty, the ladies and the rest of characters of ROTK are very well done and very informed as compared to any ROTK fan websites I have visited through the years.

This may be one of the reasons Kongming shows up often whenever I am looking for information Yahoo and probably the reason why I was able to come here tonight again since I was led to www.about.com from good ole Yahoo, which had the faqs on ROTK 7 where the author of that faqs credited Kongming.net at the end for help in the item section (I believe...it's 1:12am now, my mind if foggy now...it might of been the rewards section or skils...oh well....)

So I hope you might find some belief that not everyone is chatising your work and that actually a lot more people like what you are doing if only that they are hundreds of miles away behind their computer so they cannot actually tell you in person. Anyways I hope you do contribute some more stuff to this website.

tiny insignificant ps (I still have different opinions with the Xiang Yu thing hehe but lets leave that for another day maybe)

Merry christmas to all anyways. Its like the 22nd today i think, hmm time flies really......
Dennis_old
Tyro

Unread postby spookybanana » Sun Dec 22, 2002 7:05 pm

Uhh...should i be making a schedule also? :?
spookybanana
Initiate

Location: waiting for the right chance to steal DT2 off of the KOEI's executive's coffee table

Unread postby James » Sun Dec 22, 2002 11:22 pm

spookybanana wrote:Uhh...should i be making a schedule also? :?

It isn’t a requirement. It is all basically so we have something to keep track of what is on our minds and what we plan go get done. I figured your schedule would be something like ‘send in new news whenever you come up with something to post on your page’, or something like every Friday you have something to say.

Either way, if you have a use for this thread please feel free to use it. :)
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Mon Dec 30, 2002 9:21 pm

I took the plagiarism insult very seriously, and I have given James the information needed for proper crediting. I will not, however, credit some site that has a Xiang Yu bio, simply because you feel I should.

My break from KMA had nothing to do with what you said, it had other reasons, which I won't discuss.

Anyways, I will resume writing bios when I feel up to it, I think I need someone to cheer me up *hint*hint*.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby Dennis_old » Tue Dec 31, 2002 2:54 pm

First I am glad that wasn't the case. However I did not intend the plagiarism post to be an insult nor did I ask you to credit another site. The main issue that I had been bringing up in the thread was your copyright tag.

As I had stated before, if you feel there was any anger in my posts previously, it was only because of the fact that I saw the copyright on that biography. You probably have an entirely different view with this issue and I believe you have a valid case but as I stated before, I just do not feel that a piece you translated should be copyrighted since you did not write the bio entirely on your own.

Yes translating is very tedious and hard work and as I have looked at all the other work you have done on the site as I have been frequenting this site a lot more since I have found it from this Xiang Yu flap, I agree you have done good work.

This is why I had posted on this thread hoping it wasn't something I said that made you become discouraged with what you have been doing all along. I also kind of regret posting it since I did leave something at the end of my post which kind of brought the whole copyright issue back up.

Anyways I hope everyone a happy new year. Be sure to drink lots of beer and eat lots of food.
Dennis_old
Tyro

PreviousNext

Return to Kongming's Archives