Lu Xun/Lu Kang relay

Questions, feedback, suggestions, and Kongming's Archives projects.

Lu Xun/Lu Kang relay

Unread postby James » Wed Oct 30, 2002 6:35 am

Lu Xun/Lu Kang SGZ Biography Translation Relay
(Feedback of all kinds is welcome in this thread)

I apologize for any inconvenience caused my recreation of this post, I had to do this in order to preserve a strange difficult-to-duplicate problem. Read this for more information: http://the-scholars.com/viewtopic.php?p=34181#34181

Lady Wu
-------------------
Same thing as for the Lu Bu relay. Except this time it's Lu Xun/Lu Kang... everyone who can translate SGZ should help out, even if it's just a small section...

I'm kicking this off with Lu Xun, but if people feel like starting Lu Kang's (on p. 1354 in the Zhonghua Shuju edition of SGZ, in the middle of Lu Xun's chapter), they should start it too.

-------
Lu Xun, styled Boyan, was originally named Yi. A native of Wu, in the commandery of Wu, Lu Xun comes from a prosperous and famous family east of the Yangtze River (1). Since he was orphaned at a young age, he lived with his grandfather Lu Kang [translator’s note: this Kang is a different character from that in Lu Kang, Lu Xun’s son], who was then the Grand Administrator of Lujiang. When Lu Kang found out that he was about to be attacked by Yuan Shu, who had long borne a grudge against him, he sent Lu Xun and his family back to Wu for safety. Since Lu Xun was several years older than Lu Kang’s son Lu Ji, he kept his family in order for him.

When Sun Quan became a general, Lu Xun was 21 years of age, and began his career by working in Sun Quan’s office. After serving as a consultant clerk of both the Department of the East and the Department of the West, he was sent out to the field as a garrison chief commandant at Haichang, with the additional duties of civil affairs of the prefecture (2). The prefecture had suffered years of drought, and so Lu Xun opened up the stores of grain to relieve the poor, as well as encouraging and overseeing farming personally. The people benefitted greatly from that. At that time, there were many bandits in hiding in the Wu, Kuaiji, and Danyang areas. Lu Xun petitioned to Sun Quan to attack them, listing the advantages of doing so. Now, there was one Pan Lin, the “general-in-chief” of the bandits in Kuaiji, who had been a scourge of the area, and who had escaped from the government’s efforts to capture him through the years. And so Lu Xun had his subordinates recruit soldiers, and went straight into the holdings of the outlaws. Wherever he went the outlaws submitted to him, and his command grew to 2,000 soldiers. Then, when the leader of the Boyang bandits, You Tu, staged a rebellion, Lu Xun went to quell it. For that, Lu Xun was made Colonel Who Settles Majesty, and made to garrison at Lipu.

(1) Lushi Shi Song: Lu Xun’s grandfather, Lu Yu, had the style name of Shupen. He was a virtuous man, quick in wits, and served as a Colonel of the City Gates. Lu Xun’s father, Lu Jun, who had the style name of Jicai, was magnanimous and trustworthy, greatly loved by the different families in the clan. The highest rank he held was Chief Commandant of Jiujiang.

(2) From the Eulogy of the Portraits in the Lu Ancestral Temple: Haichang is located in the current day prefecture of Yan’guan.

Cai Yan
-------------------
Sun Quan married Sun Ce's daughter to Lu Xun and often sought his advice on various world affairs. Lu Xun suggested, "At present, conquerers each take a portion of the land and fortify their stands. They wait and watch like wolves, and thus to win the enemies and bring peace to the land, we need many people to assist us. However, the bandits are still at large, owing to their geographically strategic hideouts. If we do not pacify them, it would be difficult for any other long term conquests to go far. Thus, we should lead an army to pacify them and in the process, recruit the best forces amongst them." Sun Quan accepted his proposal and appointed him as a right hand under his personal command. Fei Zhan, the leader of the bandits at Dan Yang, having received an official order from Cao Cao, rallied the Shanyue people to coordinate with him. Lu Xun was then sent by Sun Quan to annihilate Zhan. Zhan had a greater army than Lu Xun, hence Lu Xun increased the quantity of flags, drums and horns in his army and the troops entered the valley in the night. Suddenly the drums and horns sounded in the night as Lu Xun's troops charged forth and the bandits were defeated or dispersed almost immediately. Lu Xun reorganised the army stationed at the three eastern counties and also recruited people for the army. The more able-bodied ones became soldiers while the weaker ones were employed to manage agricultural lands. In the process, some ten thousand strong men were recruited and the remnants of the bandits were destroyed. The places where the army passed by were swept clean of bandits and Lu Xun returned to Wu Hu where the army was stationed.

(Edited by Cai Yan on 12/3/02)

Lady Wu
-------------------
Chunyu Shi, the Grand Administrator of Kuaiji, reported to Sun Quan that Lu Xun enlisted commoners unnecessarily, disturbing the peace of the area. Later on, Lu Xun passed by the commandery, and in a conversation [with Sun Quan], praised Chunyu Shi for being an excellent official. Sun Quan said, "Chunyu Shi had reported against you, but yet you praise him. Why is this so?" Lu Xun replied, "Chunyu Shi's mind is on taking care of his people, and that was why he criticized me. It would not do if I, in turn, denounce him in order to seek your approval." Sun Quan said, "You have indeed the conduct of a trustworthy person! Not all could do what you have done."

When Lü Meng was on sick leave to Jianye, Lu Xun went to pay him a visit. "Guan Yu is stationed close to the borders," said Lu Xun, "should we devise a long-term plan, to reduce this threat?"

"What you said is right," replied Lü Meng, "but I'm gravely ill now."

Lu Xun said, "Guan Yu, proud of his own valour, is disdainful towards others. He has just accomplished something great, and now he has become overly arrogant, seeking only to strike northward. Since he hasn't suspected much activity from our side, once he hears of your illness, his defenses will certainly drop. So if we can take him by surprise, he is certain to be captured. It would be best if I could have an audience with the lord and devise a plan."

"Guan Yu's known for his military prowess," said Lü Meng, "and has been a difficult enemy. Now that he's in charge of Jingzhou, he has been benevolent towards the people. Furthermore, morale is high on his side due to his recent victories. It may not be so easy to defeat him."

Lü Meng thus came to the capital city. Sun Quan asked him, "Who would you recommend to replace you?" Lü Meng answered, "Lu Xun has far-reaching plans, and is able to take up great responsibility. Looking at his way of thinking, I think he would be the one capable for the great task at hand. Also, since his name is not well-known yet, Guan Yu would not be wary of him. Thing cannot be better! If he is employed, those from without will not see what we are up to, while we, from within, can seek an opportune time to strike and to defeat [Guan Yu]." And thus Sun Quan summoned Lu Xun, and made him replace Lü Meng as Lieutenant-General, Inspector of the Right Division.

Lady Wu
-------------------
Once Lu Xun arrived at Lukou, he wrote to Guan Yu thus,

"Shortly ago I had witnessed your feats at battle: leading your army with discipline, you accomplished great victory with only a slight maneuver. How awesome and admirable that was!

Now that our common enemy is defeated, it is a time most meet for us to build an alliance. Having heard of your good news, I turn my mind to the command that has been entrusted to me, thinking always to follow your footsteps in conquest, and to fulfill the ambitions of our lords together.

Recently, unworthy though I am, I have been ordered to take up a post here in the west. I long to see even a speck of your glory, and to have your good counsel to bear in my mind. "

And he wrote on:

"Since Yu Jin and company were captured, everyone near and far proclaimed your name in praise. Not even the leadership of Duke Wen of Jin of yore, shown at Chengpu, nor even the strategies demonstrated by Han Xin at Zhao, can match what you have done.

I have heard that Xu Huang and his remaining mounted troops are stationed nearby, poised to strike. Though their number is few, Cao Cao is a cunning scoundrel, and there is no knowing what he would do in his wrath -- I would be afraid that he will secretly increase the troops there, in order to carry out his malicious plans. It is true that their army is fatigued, but they still have might in them. Furthermore, after a victory in battle, one is in danger of underestimating the enemy. The ancients who were skilled at warfare heightened their defenses even in the sight of a victory. Thus, I pray that you, o General, will plan far ahead, and ensure that your victory be complete.

I am but a student of the letters, unlearned, dull, unworthy in all regards. And thus I am overjoyed to have such a majestic and virtuous neighbour! My joy is indeed overflowing. Even though we have not had the chance to cooperate yet, I keep you in my thoughts. And so I dared to write thus to you, hoping that you will understand what is on my mind."
Last edited by James on Wed Dec 04, 2002 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:09 pm

Skipping over to the next generation...:

============
Lu Kang
Lu Kang, styled Youjie, was the grandson of Sun Ce. At the time Lu Xun died, he was 20 years of age and held the title of “Colonel who Builds Might”. Leading 5,000 from his late father’s command, he lead the funeral procession back to the east, and to pay his respects to Sun Quan at the capital city. Sun Quan had a messanger interrogate Lu Kang with regards to the twenty items of accusation Yang Zhu brought against Lu Xun, and forbade outsiders to be present at the interrogation. Although he was not able to consult with anyone, Lu Kang replied to each of the charges appropriately, to Sun Quan’s satisfaction. Thus Sun Quan’s anger [towards his father] was relieved.

In the 9th year of Chiwu (AD 246), Lu Kang was promoted to lijie zhonglangjiang, and was ordered to switch garrisons with Zhuge Ke in Chaisang. Before he left his fort, Lu Kang repaired all the walls, houses, and various fortifications. ju lu sang guo, bude wang bai. When Zhuge Ke moved into the fort, it was as if it was newly built; on the other hand, Zhuge Ke’s former fort in Chaisang was quite run-down, causing him to be shamed.

In the first year of Taiyuan (AD251), Lu Kang returned to the capital on sick leave. When he had recovered and was about to return to his duties, Sun Quan parted with him in tears, saying, “Formerly I had listened to corruping counsel, and became estranged from your virtuous father. I had disappointed you. As for the records of the accusations, I will burn them all, lest others will see them.”

In the first year of Jianxing (AD252), the Wei general Zhuge Dan defected to Wu, bringing all of Shouchun with him. Consequently Lu Kang was made Chief Inspector of Chaishang. Marching to Shouchun, Lu Kang defeated the Wei General of the Standard and Lieutenant-Genenral, and thus he was promtoed to General who Conquers the North. In the second year of Yong’an (AD259), he was given the title of General who Maintains the Army, and was put in command of the lands of Xiling, from Guanyu to Baidi. The jie honours were given him in the following year. When Sun Hao came to the throne, he promoted Lu Kang to General-in-chief who Maintains the Army, and Governor of Yizhou. In the second year of Jianheng (AD 270), the Commander-in-Chief, Shi Ji, died, and Lu Kang was further promoted to be Chief Controller of Xinling, Xiling, Yidao, Lexiang, and Gong’an, and given additional administrative duties at Lexiang.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Starscream » Fri Nov 01, 2002 6:14 am

Continuing Lu Xun's bio:

After Guan Yu had read Lu Xun's letter, he perceived not just a tone of respect and humility in the letter, but also a desire to depend on him, hence Guan Yu felt greatly at ease and unthreatened. On this account, Lu Xun reported the matter and further stated this as crucial to capturing Guan Yu. Sun Quan secretly led his armies westwards and commanded Lu Xun and Lu Meng as vanguards, and attacked Gong-an and Nanjun swiftly. Lu Xun took a small road and upon his victory was designated with the title of Governor of Yidu and the rank of Lieutenant-general and also a noble title of Marquis of Huating. Meanwhile, Liu Bei's Governor of Yidu, Fan You abandoned the county whereas most of the city commanders and the chief of the tribal people all surrendered. Lu Xun requested for golden, silver and bronze seals to be made and proclaimed on the newly surrendered. This event took place during the 24th year of Jian An (A.D. 219) during the eleventh month.

Lu Xun sent generals Li Yi and Xie Jing with some three thousand troops to attack Shu generals Zhan Yan and Chen Feng. Li Yi led the naval troops while Xie Sheng led the land troops. They cut off the main road at the mountainous area leading to the city and defeated Zhan and Chen. Chen Feng was captured alive and he surrendered. Subsequently, the troops continued to attack the Governor of Fangling, Deng Fu and the Governor of Nanxiang, Guo Mu; the attackers scored a decisive victory. Wen Bu and Deng Kai, who originated from prominent families in Zigui, gathered a several thousand men army made up of minority populations and led them to join the ranks of Shu. Lu Xun reorganised his army and ordered Xie Sheng to quell Wen Bu and Deng Kai. Both Wen and Deng escaped and they became officials in Shu. Lu Xun sent someone to persuade them to return, and Wen Bu led his men back to surrender. During the entire progress of capturing, recruiting and executing people, there were some ten thousand cases involved. Sun Quan then appointed Lu Xun as Right Commissioner of the Army, General Who Subdues the West and further gave him the noble rank of Marquis of Lou (1).

(1) Book of Wu: "Sun Quan had awarded Lu Xun many ranks especially to commend his exploits, but at the same time, he wished to follow the practice of recommendation for rise in rank, hence he had the governor of Yangzhou, Lu Fan, to write a recommendation for Lu Xun to be a Mou Cai (scholar), in order to legitimate Lu Xun's position."
Last edited by Starscream on Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby Starscream » Wed Nov 27, 2002 10:26 am

Continuing Lu Xun's biography...

During that time, there were scholars who had just submitted to the rule of Wu. Some already had official posts, while others were still not given any posts yet. Lu Xun petitioned, "In the past, Liu Bang employed many talented people and Emperor Guangwu's glorious reign attracted many clever individuals. People who could augment the Way came, be it near or far. Now Jingzhou has just been settled and there are some talented ones whose talents have yet been realised or recognised, thus I beg for the prerogative to promote these people, and hence may all within the four seas look towards us and be willing to join us." Sun Quan respected his words and accepted his proposal.

In the first year of HuangWu (A.D. 222), Liu Bei led a large army to the western borders. Sun Quan appointed Lu Xun as Chief Controller and was given the authority and power of the army, with Zhu Ran, Pan Zhang, Song Xian, Han Dang, Xu Sheng, Xianyu Dan, Sun Huan and some other fifty thousand men under his command to repel the attackers. Liu Bei had his troops to line up at areas from Wu Xia, Jian Ping to the borders of Yi Ling. He set up some tens of army posts and rewarded and enticed the many minorities in the land with gold, silk and even nobilities. Liu Bei also appointed General Feng Xi as Grand Controller, Zhang Nan as vanguard, Fu Kuang, Zhao Rong, Liao Chun, Fu Rong and others as Vice Controllers. Liu Bei first sent Wu Ban to command some thousands of men to set up camps at plain grounds and challenge the enemy to fight. All the (Wu) generals desired to repel these men led by Wu Ban. Lu Xun said, “This must be a ruse, we shall continue observing instead (1)”. Upon knowing that his trick would not work, Liu Bei led eight thousand ambushing troops out of the valley. Lu Xun said, “The reason why I did not heed your proposal to attack the troops on the plain grounds is precisely because there were troops hidden nearby”.

Lu Xun then petitioned, “Yi Ling is a very crucial area and it matters with the safety of the nation. Although it can be taken easily, but it can also be lost easily. Losing Yi Ling is more than just losing a county, it may even make Jing Zhou venerable. If we fight for it now, we have to score a victory. Liu Bei had violated our friendship; instead of defending his lands, he had the audacity to invade ours personally. Your servant (Lu Xun) although is not talented, but in your glorious name and might, I will repel the invaders in good time. After much observation of how Liu Bei had been leading troops in his career, it is always that he had more failures than success, hence he is not much of a threat. I was skeptical initially if he would lead an attack from both water and land, but now, it is evidently that Liu Bei’s army had left their boats behind and take to the land, and camping all over the lands. I observe that from his style of arrangement, there should be no further changes. Your majesty can have a peace of mind, there should be no worries for now.”

The Wu generals together proposed, “We should have attacked Liu Bei when his troops were moving five to six hundred li into our borders. Instead, we had kept our defence and waited for some seven to eight months. By this time, Liu Bei would have strengthen his defences at the crucial points and attacking him now would be futile.” Lu Xun replied, “Liu Bei is a sly person and he has had gone through many experiences in war. From the way his army is positioned, it shows that he has given much thought and planning to the positioning, hence it was not possible to attack them then. By now, they have stationed here long enough but yet without claiming any advantage from us, hence their army is now tired and their morale has dropped. By flanking both front and rear and surrounding the enemy, I reckon that the time for us to capture and defeat Liu Bei has come.” Lu Xun then tried attacking one of Liu Bei’s camps but was unsuccessful. The Wu generals responded, “This is a waste of army!” Lu Xun replied, “I have just come up with a plan to defeat him.” Following that, Lu Xun had everyone to hold a torch and carried out fire attack to send Liu Bei’s troops moving. As soon as the fire attack became successful, Lu Xun led all the troops to attack at the same time and beheaded Zhang Nan, Feng Xi, King of Hu Shamo Ke, etc and destroyed all forty odd camps. Du Lu, Liu Ning and some others from Liu Bei’s camps were coerced into surrendering. Liu Bei ascended Ma-An Mountain and stationed troops at various points to defend. Lu Xun commanded his troops to chase after them closely from all directions. However, a landslide on the way resulted in the death of some ten thousand men from Liu Bei's camps. Liu Bei had been fleeing throughout the night and the troops left at checkpoints (places whereby traveling army exchange exhausted horses for fresh ones) burnt armour and trumpets to distract the enemy, hence Liu Bei was able to enter Bai Di City. At that time, Liu Bei’s boats, ships and weapons, naval and land troops were all exhausted. Corpses could be seen floating on the waters, choking up the rivers. Liu Bei was greatly ashamed and angered, he exclaimed, “I am now humiliated by Lu Xun, is this the will of Heaven?”

Annotation for (1): “Book of Wu”: All the generals wanted to repel Liu Bei’s troops but Lu Xun felt that it should not be done and he said, “Liu Bei led his troops eastwards on his campaign and their morale is very high initially. Hence while their morale are in the high, we should be taking up our defence instead. Attacking them now is difficult and should we be unsuccessful, our country may be in danger and this is not a small matter. Right now, the correct move should be to reward and encourage the troops and devise plans and observe enemy’s movements. If the terrain now be plains and grasslands, there would be a tough fighting ahead. However, the enemy is moving along the mountainous regions, hence they could not possibly carry out a full-scale attack and instead are stuck between wood and rocks (forests and mountains), hence if we take advantage of their immobility, we can finish them.” The generals could not understand his words and were thinking them Lu Xun was fearful of Liu Bei, hence they were very angry with him deep inside.
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby Starscream » Sat Dec 07, 2002 11:02 am

Story of Lu Xun continues...

In the beginning, Sun Huan had tried to lead troops on his own from Yi Ling to attack Liu Bei’s vanguard. As a result, he was surrounded by Liu Bei’s army. Sun Huan then asked Lu Xun for reinforcements. Lu Xun said, “No”. The rest of the generals said, “General An Dong (Who Gives Tranquility to the East), Sun Huan is a kin of Sun Quan. Knowing that he is now surrounded by the enemy, why can’t we send him help?” Lu Xun replied, “General Sun is well respected by his army and officers, moreover the city’s defences is strong and there is sufficient food supply, thus there is no need for worries. Once my plan can be executed successfully, even if we do not send reinforcements, he can automatically break out of the enemy’s enclosure.” Indeed as Lu Xun’s plan was successfully carried out, Liu Bei suffered a great defeat and had to flee. Later, Sun Huan met Lu Xun and said to him, “Before that I indeed resented you for your unwillingness to send reinforcements, but now as I see overall success in this battle do I understand that your troop’s dispatchment is indeed well-planned.”

When defending against Liu Bei’s invasion, many of the generals were once Sun Ce’s subordinates, some others were related to the ruling family one way or another. They each had a powerful backing to rely on, hence they were arrogant, uncooperative and they even refused to obey orders. Lu Xun held the sword of authority and said, “Liu Bei is a famous person and even Cao Cao fears him. Now Liu Bei is invading our territories and he is a strong opponent to fight against. Everyone of us here receive the grace of our country, thus we should unite in harmony to fight this common enemy to repay the country’s kindness. But right now as we can see, we are unconvinced of one another’s ability and this is not what we should be doing. Although I am but a scholar, I have received orders from the Lord. The reason why the country is putting you generals to such great inconveniences to accept my command is that I have at least a strong quality worth speaking about, and that is I can submit to humiliation for the sake of fulfilling a greater duty. All of us should fulfill our individual duties and should not shun from responsibilities. The military code has its means and reasons hence please do not disobey the military orders!” It was only until the defeat of Liu Bei and that most of the major strategies were contributed by Lu Xun that the generals were in respect of him.

When Sun Quan heard about these matters, he said, “Why did you not report to me about this incident of generals disobeying military commands initially?” Lu Xun replied, “I receive great kindness from the country and the burden I have to carry outweighs my ability. Moreover, many of the generals are either trusted subordinates of your lordship or those who have often been engaged in many battles or even those who are responsible in the building of the country’s foundation. They were all important and talented people of the country whom the country is relying on. Although I have only mediocre qualities, but personally I have much respect for Lin Xiang Ru and Kou Xun for being humble and able to restrain themselves and not quarrel with their colleagues for status and cared only for the well-being of the state.” Sun Quan laughed and praised him for his correct actions and appointed Lu Xun as General Fu Guo (Assist the State), Governor of Jing Zhou and not long after he was renamed the Marquis of Jiang Ling.
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby Lu Kang » Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:11 pm

hmm....I was wondering if this would ever get completed as the person I choose my SN after is part of the topic :D .
Lu Kang
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Yorak » Mon May 05, 2003 9:01 pm

Another vote for Lu Xun's bio being completed!

Lu Xun = win.
I'm not even here
Yorak
Master

Lu Xun

Unread postby Starscream » Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:59 am

Lu Xun biography continues...

On the other hand, after Liu Bei had settled down in Baidi Cheng, Xu Sheng, Pan Zhang, Song Xian and others contended to memorialize to Sun Quan, and all of them felt that Liu Bei could definitely be captured and hence petitioned to continue the attacks on Liu Bei. Sun Quan sought out Lu Xun's opinions and together with Zhu Ran and Luo Tong, Lu Xun felt that Cao Pi was gathering a large army which was claimed to be assisting Wu to attack Liu Bei, but in actual fact, it was an excuse with hidden agendas. Following this arguement, Lu Xun further hastened the imperial court to make a decision to make an immediate retreat. Not long after, the Wei army indeed activated and Wu faced attacks from three directions. (1)

Soon after, Liu Bei died of illness and his son Liu Shan succeeded the throne. Zhuge Liang was put in charge of state affairs, and he sealed an alliance with Sun Quan. According to the administrative needs during that time, Sun Quan ordered Lu Xun to reply Zhuge Liang's letters. In addition, Sun Quan also ordered for his own official seal to be duplicated and this duplicate seal be placed in Lu Xun's offices. Every time Sun Quan dispatch letters to Liu Shan or Zhuge Liang, Lu Xun would be allowed to read through the letters and make changes to the tone and appropriateness of the contents when necessary and subsequently stamp the seal on the letters first before delivering them.

In the seventh year of Huang Wu (A.D. 228), Sun Quan ordered Zhou Fang, the Governor of Fan Yang, to trick Cao Xiu, the commander-in-chief of Wei. Cao Xiu was indeed deceived and he led his troops into the Wan County....

(1) Wu Lu: When Liu Bei heard of Wei's attack, he wrote a letter to Lu Xun, "The villian is already at Jiang Ling, if I launch another attack east, in your opinion, do you think I can succeed?" Lu Xun replied, "I am afraid with your new losses, you have yet to recover from it. To launch another attack would be unfavourable since it would be more appropriate for you to recuperate your losses than to stretch the limits of your military. If you do not consider carefully, your army will face nothing but utter defeat again and none of your troops will escape with their lives."

Laters! :lol: Feel free to check and correct me of any possible errors in any of the texts translated. Thanks! :D
Last edited by Starscream on Wed Jun 25, 2003 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby Starscream » Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:44 pm

Continuing with Lu Xun's biography....

Sun Quan appointed Lu Xun as Grand Chief Controller (大都督) to lead an attack against Cao Xiu, and also bestowed him an axe decorated with gold (黄钺). (1) When Cao Xiu realised that he was tricked, he felt deeply humiliated. He relied on the fact that he had more troops and food, thus he chose to engage Lu Xun's army. Lu Xun personally led the central flank and ordered Zhu Huan (*) and Quan Zong to lead the left and right flanks. The three armies advanced simultaneously, and decisively destroyed Cao Xiu's ambushing troops. Following that, the Wu troops pursued hard on the fleeing Cao army till Jia Shi, whereby they annihilated some ten thousand men and won ten thousand over cows, horses, mules and donkey carts as spoils of war. All of the Cao army's equipment and weaponry were looted. After Cao Xiu returned, he died of back ulcer. Lu Xun reorganised the army and when he passed by Wu Chang, Sun Quan instructed his attendants to shield Lu Xun with his own canopy. Upon entering and leaving the palace doors, Sun Quan showered Lu Xun with many precious items, all of which were used by him personally. At that time, the honour Lu Xun received was matched by no one. Soon after, Lu Xun was transferred back to Xi Ling.

(1) Lu Ji's words for the Inscription of Lu Xun: The Wei Commander-in-Chief Cao Xiu invaded our northern rural lands. Lu Xun was awarded the gold decorated axe and put in charge of six armies and with imperial troops in the central army to carry out the imperial commands. The Lord (Sun Quan) held the whip to drive the carriage (a sign of respect and gratitude) and all the subjects kneeled.
Wu Lu: Lu Xun was awarded the gold decorated axe and the King of Wu (Sun Quan) personally drove the carriage and this event was witnessed by all.

(*) Sidenote: There is a discrepancy among the sources of original SGZ I checked from both online and hardcopy versions for the name of the officer. Some wrote his name as Zhu Ran 朱然, but others wrote it as Zhu Huan 朱桓.
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby Starscream » Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:13 am

Continuing Lu Xun's biography....

In the first year of Huang Long (A.D. 229), Lu Xun was appointed the rank of Commander-in-Chief of the First Army (上大将军) and Right General and Chief Commissioner (右都护). During this year, Sun Quan embarked on a surveying trip to Jian Ye, leaving the Crown Prince, Princes, Imperial Secretariat and the nine ministers behind. Sun Quan decreed Lu Xun to assist the Crown Prince, overlook the running of three prefectures including Jing Zhou and Xu Zhang and also to manage and supervise all state matters. During then, Sun Lu, the Marquis of Jian Chang, had an exquisite duck fight shed built in front of a palace hall. Lu Xun said to him strictly, "You should be reading more classics to increase your knowledge. Why do you need such activities?" Sun Lu immediately ordered for the duck fight shed to be dismantled. Colonel of the Twanging Arrows :lol: (射声校尉) Sun Song was one of Sun Quan's favourites, among the princes. Sun Song allowed his men to make merry without constraints and military discipline was lax. Lu Xun punished Sun Song's officers by shaving their heads in front of him. Xie Jing of Nan Yang was in deep admiration for Liu Yi's talk of punishments before morality (*). Lu Xun scoffed at Xie Jing, saying, "Morality has always been before punishments for a very long time. Liu Yi is wrong to distort the teachings of the early saints by twisting with words. Since you are now serving the Crown Prince in the Eastern Palace, you should follow the teachings of benevolence and virtues and spread the teachings of goodwill. As for the words like those of Liu Yi's, they should not be mentioned again!"

Although Lu Xun was stationed away from the central government, he was often concerned deeply with the affairs of the state. He memorialized his views regarding the current affairs saying, "I feel that if the law is too strict and stringent, there will be more individuals at the bottom of the hierarchy commiting crimes. In the recent years, although generals and officers ought to be punished for their negligence, the world has yet to be united into one kingdom, hence we should overlook small errors committed in order to stabilise the morale below. Besides, there is an increasing amount of tasks waiting to be accomplished before us, hence we need to be focused on the primary problems. As long as the misdoings are not malicious and despicable in nature, or that the wrongs are totally unforgiveable, I propose for such people to be promoted and their abilities to be utilised, allowing them to return Your Majesty's kindness with their expertises. This is the reason why the saints and kings of the old were able to establish their kingdoms, that is, by forgiving people's mistakes of the past and remembering their contributions. In the past, Han Gao Zhu did not haggle about Chen Ping's past mistakes and instead used his brilliant strategies, which finally led him to establish the Han Dynasty. His contributions would be remembered long after and that using harsh laws and punishments was not what an emperor should do to establish his kingdom. With only punishments and no forgiveness, it would be detrimental to attracting talents from far and wide."

(*)Sidenote: I refer to a quote from Confucius' analects to explain Liu Yi's and Lu Xun's arguements clearer. 子曰: "道之以政, 齐之以刑, 民免而无耻; 道之以德,齐之以礼, 有耻且格." - 为政第二: 三 Confucius said: If people are governed by laws, and order is maintained through punishment, then people will keep away from wrongdoing: but only because they want to avoid punishment, not because they have a sense of shame in doing wrong. If people are inspired by a moral and virtuous government, and order is maintained by rites of propriety, then people will want to be good because they have a sense of shame in doing wrong. - To Govern, Book II Chapter III, taken from The Sayings of Confucius
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Next

Return to Kongming's Archives