Lu Xun/Lu Kang relay

Questions, feedback, suggestions, and Kongming's Archives projects.

Unread postby James » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:02 am

Starscream wrote:As usual, I tackled the fun parts. :twisted:

Haha… thanks for a good laugh… :lol:
I wrote Lady Wu. If she ignores me, I might bother her through other means. :twisted:
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:24 pm

OMG STARSCREAM SIGHTING!!!

This is hilarious. I didn't even know James wrote me a PM, and today I just decided to log on for no apparent reason...

Someone remind me what I'm supposed to do??
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby James » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:36 pm

Lady Wu wrote:Someone remind me what I'm supposed to do??

Hehe. Ol’ Starscream resumed the translation of this old beast again. :shock:
By her claim, the ‘hard parts’ have been neglected!
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Starscream » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:50 am

:lol: Yesh, Starscream is spotted latelyl!

Did you see the annotation yonder?? :twisted:

Here:
习凿齿曰:夫理胜者天下之所保,信顺者万人之所宗,虽大猷既丧,义声久沦,狙诈驰於当涂,权略周乎急务,负力从横之人,臧获牧竖之智,未有不凭此以创功,舍兹而独立者也。........

Have you found it? :lol: There's more of course!
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:00 pm

Sorry, right now I don't even have the brain power to read a telephone directory... :?
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:17 pm

I have no idea how to do that passage in English... :oops: lemme just ramble on what I understand of it...

Mr. Teeth writes:

用道理取得胜利的人, 天下就会保他为主。用信任使人顺从的人,所有的人就会以他为宗主。虽然世间的大道已经丧失了,正义的声音很久没有听见了;奸诈的人在大路上招摇,弄权的人控制着急务;所有用自己力量[從橫]的人或者是[臧獲]來輔佐幼主的智者,沒有不是憑著這(i.e. 道理and 信任)來創作功勞,[捨玆而獨立者也]。就是因爲這個緣故,晉文公退避三舍,原城就請降。...

[sorry, must attend to lunch... to be continued... but basically the point is that Mr. Xi disagrees with the military approach. One of those pedants. :evil: ]
Lady Wu

Unread postby Starscream » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:22 pm

So I continue the final portion of Annotation 1 (means that there's still another annotation) here, with the commentaries from "Mr. Teeth". Many thanks to Lady Wu for removing the most crucial stumbling block!

Xi Zuo Chi wrote, “Those who embrace morals to achieve victory will be supported by the world as the ruler; those who use trust to gain the support of others will be regarded as the leader by all. Although principles are already gone from this world, and voices of righteousness are hardly heard these days, (and in its place,) crafty men are boldly walking in the main streets, and those who manipulate power are in control of the state of affairs, it is always the case that those who possess the power to rule over others are able to do so because they have morals and are trustworthy. This was the reason why in the past, Jin Wen Gong retreated ninety li* and Yuan City surrendered to him; Mu Zi surrounded and pacified the city of Gu**; Ye Fu presented his strategy that subdued the people of Fei ***; and Yue Yi waited for the right opportunity to attack and his conquest was strong like the wind and flowed like the river. It is essential to observe the situation, and victory through brute force or trickery is never complete! Up till this point, the three houses (Wei, Shu and Wu) had been standing for more than forty years. Wu could not cross River Huai and River Mian to enter the Central Plains. Neither could the forces from the Central Plains cross River Chang Jiang to attain victory. The strengths were equally matched therefore it was not feasible to clash forces. Rather than to make others suffer at your own benefit, would it not be better to benefit yourself without causing others to suffer? Rather than to use force and scare others into submission, would it not be better to spread benevolence and gain the love of the people? If you cannot subdue a man by force, how can you make a nation submit? If compliance by power is not possible, why not use benevolence to achieve the same result? Thus, Yang Hu adopted the same strategy in consideration of military maneuvers. He garnered the support of the people and treated all fairly. He spread the net of kindness to even encompass Wu and adopted universal love to demolish ill practices. His deeds were well-known to the civilians while he maintained his non-offensive stand across the river. Not only was he able to make himself known for benevolence, he gathered the support and friendship of many from far and wide. For all the enemies that the state of Wu had encountered, there was none like him. Lu Kang viewed his country as weaker and his lord fatuous, and in contrast, Jin was known for its virtue. While Jin had the ability to gather the support of the masses, Wu did not have the means to preserve its stand. The civilians (of Wu) might embrace the goodwill of the stronger enemy and there was a worry that the borderlands would switch allegiance. Hence, to preserve the loyalty of the civilians and maintain order both internally and externally, it was essential to combat their own weaknesses, and against a stronger country, it was best not to initiate an attack so that victory could still be achieved. To be touched by the benevolence of others and to spread words of such goodwill to the country will have the same effect like a wind blowing from afar. News of virtuous deeds can reach even the most obscure places and achieve better results than that of using sheer force. (It is thus better) to overcome an enemy without using a single troop or weapon, to protect a country without relying on physical defences, and this means using faith and trust to prevail over hatred and animosity, and moving others with your sincerity. In contrast, what folly it would be to harm talented individuals with evil schemes, destroy one’s own reputation, covet the property of others to benefit yourself and feign allegiance to harm those who have dropped their guard on us! Therefore, to protect the territory through maintaining the defences is achievable by a soldier; harming others through unfair means is but the deed of a petty man; scheming to protect material wealth is like the over-anxiety of lowly slaves; using force to obtain peace is disdained by the wise. This is the reason why the good deeds of gentlemen and virtuous people are remembered and their actions continue to be followed by others.

* Jin Wen Gong (Chong Er) was a political refugee escaping his homeland, the state of Jin. He was invited as a guest in the courts of Chu and was treated cordially. The ruler of Chu asked him how he would repay this favour in the future. Jin Wen Gong replied that should their forces meet in battle, he would be willing to retreat ninety li.

** A messenger from the city of Gu informed Mu Zi that they were willing to betray the city to let his forces in. Mu Zi refused to accept the surrender as it may seem that he supported the betrayal of the citizens and his forces were coming from the direction of malice. Hence, he surrounded the city for more than three months till the point that the enemy depleted their food supply. Thereafter, he conquered the city without killing a single man.

*** In the thirteenth year of Lu Zhao Gong, Shu Gong surrounded the city of Fei but not only was he unsuccessful in taking down the city, he suffered military losses. Ping Zi was angry and ordered for the arrest of some Fei people. Ye Fu advised him to treat the people well. Cruelty would only cause the people to be fearful and they would revolt against the new ruler. Kindness and benevolence would win their support instead. Ping Zi listened to his advice and as predicted, the Fei people forego their previous lord.

I don't have time to check through the grammar yet. The last portions of this commentary may sound totally cracked and I'm not gonna look at it again until I get some sleep. :oops:
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby James » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:46 pm

Starscream wrote:So I continue the final portion of Annotation 1 (means that there's still another annotation) here, with the commentaries from "Mr. Teeth". Many thanks to Lady Wu for removing the most crucial stumbling block!

Mr. Teeth? :?
Sounds pretty scary…
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Starscream » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:26 am

James wrote:Mr. Teeth? :?
Sounds pretty scary…

Uh... it's a nickname Lady Wu derived from his name. We ain't complaining or anything but his commentary is so full of c*** that we decided to make fun of his name to make ourselves feel better. yeah. :devil:
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby Starscream » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:48 pm

Finally, to commemorate the end of the rebellion and the re-crowning of Emperor James, I present the final annotation to Lu Kang's bios...

Annotation 2
Part 1: Wen Shi Zhuan says that, “Lu Jing’s mother was the daughter of Zhang Cheng and niece of Zhuge Ke. When Zhuge Ke was killed, Lu Jing’s mother was subsequently demoted. When Lu Jing was young, he was taken care of by his grandmother. When his grandmother passed away, Lu Jing mourned for her for three years.

Part 2: Lu Jing’s brothers Lu Ji, was styled Shi Heng; and Lu Yun was styled Shi Long.
Ji Yun Bie Zhuan (Other Records of Lu Ji and Lu Yun) says that, “During the end of the Jin dynastic period of Tai Kang (A.D. 280 – A.D. 290), (the two brothers) entered Luo Yang together and met up with Minister of Works (or Si Kong) Zhang Hua. Upon seeing them, Hua was amazed and commented, “In the campaign against Wu, one benefit was the obtaining of these two talented individuals.” Thereupon, he spread the fame of the brothers and introduced them to the other lords. Grand Tutor (or Tai Fu) Yang Jun appointed Lu Ji as Ji Jiu (or head of the education department in the imperial court) and later transferred as Tai Zi Xi Ma (or the officer in-charge of directing formalities for the Crown Prince’s procession when he travels) and Shang Shu Zhu Zuo Lang (or officer in-charge of keeping national records (tiny note: different from Imperial Secretariat)). Lu Yun was Lang Zhong Ling (or Head of the Palace Guard) for King Wu and was given an appointment to govern at Jun Yi. He was benevolent in his rule, thus was well-loved by the people and even worshipped when he was living. Thereafter, he was honoured most highly. Lu Ji was a natural talent and his literary skill was the best of his time. Lu Yun was also good at literature but his expressions not as inspirational. However, in terms of debating skills, he outclassed his brother. During a certain period of time, many incidents occurred in the imperial court and both Ji and Yun got acquainted with Prince of Cheng Du, Ying. Ying appointed Ji as Ping Yuan Xiang (or Chancellor of Ping Yuan) and Yun Qing He Nei Shi (or officer in-charge of rewards and punishments for commoners in Yun Qing He). Yun was subsequently transferred to be You Si Ma (one of the officers in-charge of military matters in a state) and was often delegated duties for war. Not long after, hatred with the Prince of Chang Sha arose, causing an attack on Loyang, of which Lu Ji was appointed as a general of the rear forces, commanding Wang Sui, Qian Sui and others, comprising of two hundred thousand men. Shi Long wrote an Ode of the Southern Campaign (or Nan Zheng Fu) to honour this event. Ji came from Wu and allowed travelers from his hometown to stay amongst his men regardless of their social status, but many could not trust these foreigners. Ji suffered consecutive losses in battle, during which, more than half the number died or fled. Initially, a eunuch called Meng Jiu was favoured by Ying. He (Meng Jiu) made use of his favoured position to seek power. Yun spoke of his shortcomings but Ying did not listen to his words. From that, Jiu took the opportunity to slander Yun. In an incident, (Meng) Chao, the younger brother of Jiu led a coup against Ji and refused to obey military orders. Ji arrested him but Chao declared that Lu Ji had intentions to rebel (against Ying). Moreover, Qian Xiu and others slandered Lu Ji in front of Ying and through a two-pronged attack, with Jiu lending a hand to the libels from the inside, Ying trusted their words and ordered for the arrest of Ji and his brothers, Yun and Dan and they were executed. Ji and his brothers were talents of Jiang Nan and famous in the lands but were executed without a crime. For this reason, their demise was mourned by the world. Ji’s essays were treasured by all and the books by Yun were passed down to many generations. In the beginning, when Lu Kang defeated Bu Chan, he slaughtered even the babies. A person who came across this incident remarked that, “retribution will befall your descendants!” Subsequently, with the execution of Lu Ji, there was no heir in the family. Sun Hui and Zhu Dan wrote, “The story of Ma Yuan choosing his lord was known even to the commoners. Unfortunately, the three Lu (Lu Xun, Lu Kang and Lu Ji) served terrible dynasties, killed many and tarnished their reputations. It was lamentable indeed!” This was also recorded in the Book of Jin.
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Kongming's Archives