Translation and Biography Requests

Questions, feedback, suggestions, and Kongming's Archives projects.

Re: Translation and Biography Requests

Unread postby Jordan » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:21 pm

I've heard the name Xu Kun before but I forgot exactly who he was. I haven't seen any translated SGZ biographies of him but here is his biography in de Crespigny's book:

"Xu Kun 徐琨 (d. 199); Wu. Son of Xu Zhen and Sun Jian's sister the Lady Sun II [Slick Note: making him Sun Ce's cousin?], Xu Kun held local office and was then a successful commander under his uncle Sun Jian. In 195 he followed his cousin Sun Ce across the Yangzi. On the advice of his mother he proposed hastening the attack by building rafts for the army from rushes and reeds rather than waiting for ships. The plan was carried out, the crossing was successful and, as Wu Jing returned to Yuan Shu, Xu Kun was named Administrator of Danyang.

In 197 Yuan Shu claimed the imperial title and Sun Ce broke off with him. Yuan Shu sent his cousin Yuan Yin as Administrator of Danyang, but Xu Kun drove him away. Sun Ce was becoming concerned about the number of men under Xu Kun's command, and when his uncle Wu Jing left Yuan Shu's service and came back across the Yangzi, he gave Danyang to Wu Jing. Xu Kun continued to command troops, but he now had title as a General of the Household and was probably kept at headquarters.

After Sun Quan came to power in 200, Xu Kun joined the attack which destroyed Li Shu in Lujiang in 200; he was named a general and enfeoffed as a marquis. While fighting Huang Zu, probably in the attack of 203, Xu Kun was shot by an arrow and died. One of Xu Kun's daughters, the Lady Xu V, became a favored concubine of Sun Quan."

Sorry for the late response, but to confirm, Xu Kun was indeed an importan officer of Sun Ce's. Interestingly, Crespigny seems to have made an error since prior to the biography he lists Xu Kun's death as 199. In the actual biography though, he states Xu Kun died later than that. I'm actually not sure which date is correct.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:11 pm

Thanks Slick, its interesting that Sun Ce was either reall suspicious of his extended family or expected to die young. The two most talented of his cousins (Sun Gao and Xu Kun) had their power curtailed and were appointed to the rank of General of the Household.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:38 pm

So,Soooo, report anyone.
Last edited by Shen Ai on Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:08 pm

Shen Ai wrote:So, is someone gonna get this pervert?

If you click on the little ! on the top of the post you can report it to bring it too a mod/admins attention when they log in. I'm sure someone will sort it out shortly.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:10 pm

God, I miss the USSR.
I don't write fanfic, but if I did it would involve Zhou Yu and Zheng He fighting to win the heart of Lai Choi San. Then I'd make them join forces to fight Ming the Merciless, who secretly works for Master Li. I'd squeeze Lu Bu in there somehow.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:41 am

Sun Fin wrote:
Shen Ai wrote:So, is someone gonna get this pervert?

If you click on the little ! on the top of the post you can report it to bring it too a mod/admins attention when they log in. I'm sure someone will sort it out shortly.

Ah thanks for the info and you were right!

I miss the days of constant watching and suspicion too.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:59 am

Well, the constant threat of nuclear annihilation might've been an inconvenience, but at least they'd leave our forums alone.
I don't write fanfic, but if I did it would involve Zhou Yu and Zheng He fighting to win the heart of Lai Choi San. Then I'd make them join forces to fight Ming the Merciless, who secretly works for Master Li. I'd squeeze Lu Bu in there somehow.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:42 pm

TooMuchBaijiu wrote:Well, the constant threat of nuclear annihilation might've been an inconvenience, but at least they'd leave our forums alone.

No No, I seriously miss the days you had to turn around and glance to make sure a spy wasn't there.

Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sang » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:22 pm

Hello,

I’m attempting to translate ‘Liu’ Feng and Wei Yan SGZ biography since I couldn’t find neither one in kongming.net. Any suggestion(s) and/or advice(s) you could give me, greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
Gao Shun & Cheng Lian, you have my prayers!

Sun Tzu: “Knows thy enemy, knows thyself and victory is never in doubt, not in a hundred battles.”

Sun Tzu: “A vanquished state cannot be revived; the dead cannot be brought back to life.”
Sang
Changshi

Unread postby Lady Wu » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:58 pm

Sang wrote:Hello,

I’m attempting to translate ‘Liu’ Feng and Wei Yan SGZ biography since I couldn’t find neither one in kongming.net. Any suggestion(s) and/or advice(s) you could give me, greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

I thought you didn't read Chinese? What are you translating from?
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

PreviousNext

Return to Kongming's Archives