Three Kingdoms Conqueror (Game Project)

Questions, feedback, suggestions, and Kongming's Archives projects.

Unread postby Maojing » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:35 pm

Officers seems like it could be a very double edged sword. Say we're playing and you find Zhao Yun while I find the great and immortal Han Xuan. You would have no shot.

(Or to be serious, I would have no shot. When you introduce officers, you introduce luck as a fairly large factor in victory.)
Maojing
Apprentice

Unread postby James » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:39 pm

The presence of officers would go hand-in-hand with the presence of player characters. Also, they would not be very overbalancing. A powerful officer would lend a small advantage to a force, but overall the strength of an army would depend on its quantity and training. Possibly its quality of arms.

I’m pretty sure at this point that the first incarnation will not include officers.

Right now I’m trying to decide what I will do with a player who started in Luo Yang vs. a player who starts in, say, Yun Nan. Luo Yang would have the population advantage, certainly. Should some players be allowed a slight starting advantage simply because they started in a certain city? I suppose that is just fine provided it is balanced out through gameplay. And looking at this, position will be of vital importance in the game.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:54 am

Progress is good!

“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Maojing » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:17 pm

James wrote:The presence of officers would go hand-in-hand with the presence of player characters. Also, they would not be very overbalancing. A powerful officer would lend a small advantage to a force, but overall the strength of an army would depend on its quantity and training. Possibly its quality of arms.

I’m pretty sure at this point that the first incarnation will not include officers.

Right now I’m trying to decide what I will do with a player who started in Luo Yang vs. a player who starts in, say, Yun Nan. Luo Yang would have the population advantage, certainly. Should some players be allowed a slight starting advantage simply because they started in a certain city? I suppose that is just fine provided it is balanced out through gameplay. And looking at this, position will be of vital importance in the game.

That would depend on how troops are done, I imagine, since if everyone gets infantry, someone in Luo Yang could just buy more but if Luo Yang only has access to standard inf/cav/archer and Yun Nan can get rattan, then it becomes much more even. Though, that then opens the can of worms of having to balance different troop types..

That only partially solves it as well since there are still cities like Wu Du and Hui Ji that would have the same lesser resources but no access to differing troop types. The simple solution is to just have every city produce the same amount of resources and make up the difference elsewhere, such as more defense so bigger cities are harder to take or by having a much bigger population for more drafting.
Maojing
Apprentice

Unread postby Jordan » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:10 pm

Everything looks great so far!

What exactly do you mean by 'force graphics' though? Would they be like crests? And if so, what about using samurai crests for them? They're pretty easy to find on the internets...

By the way, I think you should just make each starting city even for the first game (same resource production, same troops), and then work out ideas for how to vary the game up for subsequent editions. Starting with something basic and then building up from that is usually a good idea...
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:41 pm

SlickSlicer wrote:What exactly do you mean by 'force graphics' though? Would they be like crests? And if so, what about using samurai crests for them? They're pretty easy to find on the internets...

Yeah… like crests. But as you can see in the map, I made them all. :)

SlickSlicer wrote:By the way, I think you should just make each starting city even for the first game (same resource production, same troops), and then work out ideas for how to vary the game up for subsequent editions. Starting with something basic and then building up from that is usually a good idea...

I considered that for a while but I’m less concerned about it now after having seen SimRTK run for so long. Sure, people starting in a major city will have an initial advantage, but they are also controlling a sought-after territory which can be attacked from numerous directions. I think things will balance out quite nicely in that regard. And as long as things are ironed out well, the game too should balance out as playing progresses. The bigger advantage will go to a player who secures a defensible territory from which attacks can also be launched.

I also have to ponder how I will prevent cheating.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Ranbir » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:05 pm

I wish you used the 10 map. Fort placements, tbh. That could help with things. Sure you may not have the best city but you controlling this important fort location gives you an edge or something to that effect.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Catalyst » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:32 pm

Forts and poison. Both would be useful for making up for how crappy some cities are.
Catalyst
Apostle of Peace

Unread postby James » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:52 pm

Too complicated—though yeah, that is nice.
Beyond the scope of this little project, however.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Jordan » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:10 am

I considered that for a while but I’m less concerned about it now after having seen SimRTK run for so long. Sure, people starting in a major city will have an initial advantage, but they are also controlling a sought-after territory which can be attacked from numerous directions. I think things will balance out quite nicely in that regard. And as long as things are ironed out well, the game too should balance out as playing progresses. The bigger advantage will go to a player who secures a defensible territory from which attacks can also be launched.

Ok, but in that case, I'd suggest not making the differences too great. Like for instance, in the earlier rotks you had cities like Xi Liang with too small populations that couldn't net you very many resources/troops, whilst the Central Plain cities were practically invincible. Even if people have advantages from the start, they shouldn't be too...overwhelming, I guess.

However, cities like Xiang Ping (where I want to start out) should be pretty weak resource-producing wise since they can only really be attacked from one direction (I assume).
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Kongming's Archives