Forum Suggestions and Feedback Thread

Includes Forum Rules and Major Announcements. Post feedback, concerns, and forum issues. Moderation applications and public votes also take place here.

Unread postby Kong Wen » Wed Dec 24, 2003 6:50 am

JCC wrote:
Kong Zhengshu wrote:You can delete your own posts, can't you? There should be a little 'X' in the top right corner of your posts, beside the edit button.

Just noticed, and deleted before I caught your reply. Thanks though. But since you can, why not just ask that in case of a double post, people just delete the second one?

Just noticed, and deleted my reply, hahah!

Normally, people do delete their own double-posts, or the mods come along later and do it while reading. However, if the time limit were taken off, you'd get some impatient people with a laggy connection hitting "submit" like 30 times, not realizing it was posting each time. Just preventing that kind of scenario, instead of expecting them to go back and fix it themselves (which they might not even do!) is easier, I guess.

I don't think the short time limit is TOO much of a problem, anyway... it can get annoying sometimes, though, if one is in a rush.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby JCC » Wed Dec 24, 2003 6:54 am

Kong Zhengshu wrote:Just noticed, and deleted my reply, hahah!

Normally, people do delete their own double-posts, or the mods come along later and do it while reading. However, if the time limit were taken off, you'd get some impatient people with a laggy connection hitting "submit" like 30 times, not realizing it was posting each time. Just preventing that kind of scenario, instead of expecting them to go back and fix it themselves (which they might not even do!) is easier, I guess.

Hadn't thought of that. You're right though; in a case like that, deleting so many posts is BRUTAL in PHP. I guess the time limits are cool.
JCC
Mod! Law!

Unread postby Ninjastarfish » Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:41 am

Wild-Eyes wrote:
English_Druid wrote:Can we have a general game help thread in the Gaming section? I brought this up on RD but it was denied due to lack of participants in that section. But surely here that dosnt apply, and I see alot of threads with the words 'help' in them.... I just feel silly making a thread for one question that will probably never be needed again.

I don't see a problem with it, but that's up to the Gaming Moderators. Though I could just butt in. And I may. :wink:

Ninjastarfish wrote:The 5 second (or so) mandatory delay between posts seems silly to me. It would hardly prevent someone from spamming really, and whenever I make a post I generally notice a typo immedeatley and then have my first edit blocked and then have to wait several seconds and do the same thing again.

Well, I find it more useful to prevent double posts than spammers, particularly on this board where spam-raids are done in a slower manner.

It was set at 20, I cut it to 10. I think 10's fair. Honestly, there's no rush to fix typoes faster than 10 seconds.
:wink:

I honestly never thought of the double-post prevention effect. But that makes far too much sense now that you pointed it out, so um, thanks, and ignore my complaint. :o
Ninjastarfish
Student

Unread postby Rhiannon » Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:16 am

Members can only delete a double post if they notice it right away and make sure to delete the last post. Once someone replies, however, they lose the ability to delete their posts.

Any time I spot an exact double post, I just delete it without saying anything. If I spy a double post with different information, I edit with a note and delete the second one. It's not a major worry, but with people who have slower computers and forget that clicking twice is unnecessary unless it comes up with a time out message, or accidently click twice (as I've even done before), the timing feature comes in handy. :wink:
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Stuart » Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:42 pm

English_Druid wrote:Can we have a general game help thread in the Gaming section? I brought this up on RD but it was denied due to lack of participants in that section. But surely here that dosnt apply, and I see alot of threads with the words 'help' in them.... I just feel silly making a thread for one question that will probably never be needed again.

I'm a little reluctant to do that. I'd prefer people made individual threads about games and then they can be expanded to cover that game. I feel that a thread like that would stifle discussion.
Stuart
The Shining One

Unread postby Ranbir » Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:07 pm

Is it possible to have a spell check on this forum?
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Asellas » Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:13 pm

HiddenRanbir wrote:Is it possible to have a spell check on this forum?

It isn't a phpBB feature plus I don't think James or any admin would like to set one up if it is possible. Why not before you post check it all in Word? Then you can get your errors corrected if any and copy it so it is right.
"Winter is coming".
"I like hurting people...it's what I do best because I am heartless".
"Love is for poets, romance is for playwrights, and sex is for procreation - I desire none of them"
Asellas
Lord of Winterfell

Unread postby Ranbir » Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:28 pm

Hey, thats cool, just wanted to know, thanks.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:30 pm

A spell-checker would be disasterous. All the names of people and places in RTK would be "spelling errors" and corrected. Asellas's solution, though, is ingenious. :D
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby James » Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:52 pm

HiddenRanbir wrote:Is it possible to have a spell check on this forum?

Not a feature of the default phpBB installation, and I don’t use mods. It may come in a future version of phpBB in the form of highlights/underlining though, which would be okay with Chinese places and names.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

PreviousNext

Return to Public Council