Forum Suggestions and Feedback Thread

Includes Forum Rules and Major Announcements. Post feedback, concerns, and forum issues. Moderation applications and public votes also take place here.

Re: Forum Suggestions and Feedback Thread

Unread postby James » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:22 pm

Sun Fin wrote:I guess this might be a sensitive topic but... staff.

I was wondering if perhaps our moderating team should be slimmed down some? There are some moderators who haven't posted in almost a decade and I just wonder if that doesn't add to our reputation for low levels of activity. While true, if we want to change that maybe we should be proactive at making ourselves look more active?

Also, one of the most vibrant and active parts of the forum (where I fear to tread because I know nothing about it) is the section on modding games. Would be helpful to appoint a moderator who frequents that section of the board? I don't think many of the team at the moment do so. Our current staff do a wonderful job stepping on potential issues long before they flare up but I wonder if this would happen in this section?

I'm really sorry if this is stepping over the line. I know talk about staff has always been a top down conversation and I've always respected that, but I feel that a discussion on this is perhaps due.

It is not stepping over the line in the slightest.

We do have a team which includes some relatively inactive members.

And I would be interested in adding a moderator for the game modding section as long as we had someone who was interested in and suitable for the role. At this point in the forum's life it seems a mostly hands-off approach seems to work pretty well, moderators only stepping in when problems start to pick up steam.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Death » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:47 pm

James wrote:
Sun Fin wrote:I guess this might be a sensitive topic but... staff.

I was wondering if perhaps our moderating team should be slimmed down some? There are some moderators who haven't posted in almost a decade and I just wonder if that doesn't add to our reputation for low levels of activity. While true, if we want to change that maybe we should be proactive at making ourselves look more active?

Also, one of the most vibrant and active parts of the forum (where I fear to tread because I know nothing about it) is the section on modding games. Would be helpful to appoint a moderator who frequents that section of the board? I don't think many of the team at the moment do so. Our current staff do a wonderful job stepping on potential issues long before they flare up but I wonder if this would happen in this section?

I'm really sorry if this is stepping over the line. I know talk about staff has always been a top down conversation and I've always respected that, but I feel that a discussion on this is perhaps due.

It is not stepping over the line in the slightest.

We do have a team which includes some relatively inactive members.

And I would be interested in adding a moderator for the game modding section as long as we had someone who was interested in and suitable for the role. At this point in the forum's life it seems a mostly hands-off approach seems to work pretty well, moderators only stepping in when problems start to pick up steam.

I've mostly just been lurking for the last couple of months, but I wouldn't mind looking over or helping with the modding section if needed. I mostly modded Rotk XI, but messed with a lot of other games as well (mostly ones that don't get talked about at all here lol like Disgaea,Yugioh, Pokemon, and others), and would be available to help others or answer any questions about most of the things that do come up in those topics here, or just helping in general in other places on the forum as well.
Either way though I always thought the current group of moderators always did a good job addressing issues when they did come up, and helping to keep the forum clean and a good place for people to talk in general.
Death
Scholar

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:26 pm

Valvatorez was actually someone I'd had in mind when I made the original post. I agree that the moderating approach on this forum works well - I just wondered if it is so effective because moderators nip problems in the bud before they get serious.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Public Council