Forum Suggestions and Feedback Thread

Includes Forum Rules and Major Announcements. Post feedback, concerns, and forum issues. Moderation applications and public votes also take place here.

Re: Forum Suggestions and Feedback Thread

Unread postby Lord Yang Jiahua » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:55 am

James could you change the copyright at the bottom of the forum page, it says 2008, im only picky about it, because you never know what bored journalist stumbles onto our site and begins using people's words.
"We Will Show Wu The Meaning of Fear!"-Cao Cao in DW6
"Politicians Are all the same all over, They Promise to build a bridge even when theres no river"-Nikita Khrushchev
Lord Yang Jiahua
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:09 pm

Lord Yang Jiahua wrote:James could you change the copyright at the bottom of the forum page, it says 2008, im only picky about it, because you never know what bored journalist stumbles onto our site and begins using people's words.

Oops. I'll snatch that up in the future. As I may have mentioned before (?) that number doesn't actually mean anything, and technically new date ranges don't matter because the forum design itself hasn't really changed for a while. It doesn't even matter if there is no copyright on the page at all. Original work is protected by copyright, regardless, at least so far as it can be legally (and financially) enforced.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:16 pm

Our user profile fields are pretty out of date. We may be celebrating the age of our forum with an anniversary party, but we don't necessarily need to show those old wrinkles and grey hairs. MSN, Yahoo messenger, AIM, etc.

I recommend fields for Twitter and tumblr, at least. Maybe even Facebook and Instagram, but those are more internally encapsulated.

A secondary and somewhat less savoury suggestion would be to sully the top of the main forum page with a little "like this on Facebook" thing to maybe boost views a little bit. James, you'd know better than I would how those things work (if at all).
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby James » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:48 pm

Good point. I'm not overly involved in social networking, and I'm definitely not involved in chat, so this didn't really occur to me. I didn't have to search very long before I found a mod for just this thing and I imagine there are others. It would also be easy to customize and clean up those buttons.

I'm planning to sneak some time in for upgrading SoSZ (and SimRTK) to the latest version of phpBB soon. It actually isn't a time consuming process, but due to the size of the database it is important that I make sure I have enough time to dedicate however much may be necessary if something goes wrong (like the database incompatibility upgrading from phpBB 2 to 3). That'll be the perfect opportunity to make any template or layout changes.

Another thing I'd like to do is make the fact that SoSZ has a Facebook community a little more obvious.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:41 am

I know we all think this but I don't think any of us say this often enough:

Thank you James for this incredible board you have put together for us. We really appreciate all the hard work you put in behind the scenes to keep it running and the fact that you pay for this site out of your back pocket with very little (if any) support from people that use the board.

So thank you. :D
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:41 pm

Sun Fin wrote:I know we all think this but I don't think any of us say this often enough:

Thank you James for this incredible board you have put together for us. We really appreciate all the hard work you put in behind the scenes to keep it running and the fact that you pay for this site out of your back pocket with very little (if any) support from people that use the board.

So thank you. :D

Second that.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:52 am

Is there anyway of collecting all of Cap's biographies to give us easy access? Maybe a thread with a list (and links) of them all stickied?
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:17 pm

James... I know you don’t like people asking about this but...

I’ve been here nearly 6 years and in that time I can’t recall there being any competition or anyway of winning the right to have a custom title (other than being appointed staff).

I was wondering if something could be arranged? I know in the early days their use to be competitions and then the winner of SoTM got to chose one etc. There are a lot of deserving members, not including myself, who have never had the chance to earn one and I was hoping you might find a way to rectify this.

:pika:
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:38 pm

Sun Fin wrote:Is there anyway of collecting all of Cap's biographies to give us easy access? Maybe a thread with a list (and links) of them all stickied?

A sticky would be lovely. Anyone can put that together.
I'm also hoping to find enough time to add a ZZTJ section to KMA featuring his biographies. :)

Sun Fin wrote:James... I know you don’t like people asking about this but...

I’ve been here nearly 6 years and in that time I can’t recall there being any competition or anyway of winning the right to have a custom title (other than being appointed staff).

I was wondering if something could be arranged? I know in the early days their use to be competitions and then the winner of SoTM got to chose one etc. There are a lot of deserving members, not including myself, who have never had the chance to earn one and I was hoping you might find a way to rectify this.

I'm not sure what sort of competition might work, though I'm definitely open to suggestions. We've tried to reboot SotM a few times, but the English Three Kingdoms community as a whole is smaller and it seems some momentum is also required for the voting process to pick up. Maybe there's a feature where I can just enable it for people who have been members of the site for x amount of time where they can enter their own title. I haven't checked through all of the board's newer features in this area.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:39 pm

Sun Fin wrote:Thank you James for this incredible board you have put together for us. We really appreciate all the hard work you put in behind the scenes to keep it running and the fact that you pay for this site out of your back pocket with very little (if any) support from people that use the board.

Thank you very much! :)

I love this site, and all of you. It is my pleasure.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

PreviousNext

Return to Public Council