Important Announcements Thread

Includes Forum Rules and Major Announcements. Post feedback, concerns, and forum issues. Moderation applications and public votes also take place here.

Unread postby James » Sun May 11, 2008 4:50 am

My initial efforts to update the forum to phpBB 3, and I have made many, have all resulted in failure to this point. That doesn't mean we won't be able to do it, of course. I'm going to try a few more minor things tonight but we'll have to wait and see if anything major comes of the efforts.

I've re-opened the board so we can continue discussion. There is a chance posts made from this point will be lost (depending on how and where I'm able to restore the forum) and there is also a chance that they will not be lost. We will just have to wait and see!

There's a thread about the phpBB 3 upgrade and new theme in the Public Council. If you have any thoughts or questions, that's the place to ask. :)
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Re: Important Announcements Thread

Unread postby James » Sun May 11, 2008 7:46 am

phpBB 3 has been installed!

There is still some work to be done. Lots of broken HTML. Posting, right now, takes forever. This is probably because I am rebuilding the search index. That should be resolved in several hours. I hope. Otherwise, please post any thoughts, concerns, repairs, etc. in the Public Council's theme thread.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Sun May 11, 2008 7:48 am

Oh, sorry!

Your Private Messages are all gone! Poof!

A corruption broke them completely. That was probably the reason why this took me so long. I had to clear them out in full to fix the private message system. I'll probably find a way to make the old board accessible in a bit so you can recover important information you may have left on the server.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Sun May 11, 2008 7:28 pm

You may experience slow posting from time to time over the next short while. I'm having some trouble finding a good balance in creating a new search index for the forum (thank the heavens that is a supported feature). In a normal English forum it is good to recognize certain common words as unsearchable, but it isn't any good here when words like Cao, Liu and Sun appear commonly enough that they are tossed out of the search index.

Each time I delete the old index and re-create it (it takes a while) posting gets kind of bogged down, presumably because it is trying to create and write to an index simultaneously. Hopefully in the end your search for Cao Cao will, you know, actually reveal a result or two. I'm pretty sure we've discussed him here before...
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Sun May 11, 2008 7:59 pm

You can recover your lost private messages!
During my battle with the phpBB 3 conversion I had to do away with all private messages stored in the database. There was no way around it short of re-starting the whole entire forum. I also installed our forum on three different machines in the process. If you need to recover any of your old private messages (or need to access the old forum for any reason) I have uploaded it to Kongming's Archives. Please use the link below. I think I've configured it properly to run independently of the-scholars.com without redirecting you to this domain name.

http://kongming.net/phpbb2/

Please do not paste that link into any posts! Please do not link to it anywhere! Just copy it and paste it into your browser window. I don't want search engine spiders to find it, you see. :)
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Wed May 14, 2008 2:36 am

Forum was Compromised Today
Some of you got to peek into our private spam forum. Naughty, naughty.
Please keep anything you may have read there to yourself.

Other than that, nothing much exciting happened.
Things are fixed up and the event won't be repeated.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Wed May 14, 2008 6:36 am

Fifteen Minutes o' Downtime
Sorry about that folks. I forum was offline for a moment there while I made a nice quick portable and complete backup of the whole entire database. Things are nice and shiny and right the way they belong. Hopefully it stays in a folder collecting dust with all the other archives. You see, things such as this… you don't hope to use them. :)
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Wed May 21, 2008 3:14 pm

A Fistfull o' Downtime
First the forum goes down because there have been too many database connections. Have to read what the host wrote about that -- not much I can do on my end. Then I come in to find that cranky sessions table has crashed. That I can fix, and fix it I did. Yay for the first few moments of work.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:26 pm

Kongming's Prodigy has stepped down from his position as moderator.

We will probably be opening a few new moderator positions soon. :)
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:51 pm

Just a quick update on the layout. I spent a little bit of time cleaning up a few inconsistencies which I've come across over the months. Quite a bit centers around layout and presentation in Internet Explorer. I've also started fine-tuning the color presentation in the private messages area. There is still some alignment trouble with new private messages, but now colors should generally be consistent and meaningful.

The orange bar next to a private message you've read?

That means you haven't replied to it. So now you can always tell, at a glance, which private messages in your inbox haven't been responded to. This may be a little odd in ways as every conversation probably does reach an end at some point, but from a functional perspective some feedback is better than none. A new message should display similarly to a new post in the sub-forums.

Still no special support in the view latest posts.

Once the fine-tuning finally begins to draw to a close I'll be experimenting with some new ideas and SimRTK may finally get its brand new layout revision.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

PreviousNext

Return to Public Council