Important Announcements Thread

Includes Forum Rules and Major Announcements. Post feedback, concerns, and forum issues. Moderation applications and public votes also take place here.

Unread postby Rhiannon » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:32 am

Auto-Pruning: Really Gone for Good!

I suppose I should have mentioned this sooner, but I'd forgotten about it. In an earlier announcement, we mentioned that auto-pruning was extended in some forums so that threads would have a longer shelf-life before auto-deleting.

Recently, we've removed this restriction. Pruning is now totally in the hands of the moderation team - all pruning will be done manually. This means that you don't have to worry about putting a poll in a thread or "bumping" it to preserve it from the dark waters that threads can never return from. Although threads will still be removed after a reasonable amount of inactivity, quality threads will remain for future activity and reference.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby James » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:04 am

Search Results wrote:Could not delete old search id sessions

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1153 Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytes

Got this error when I came home today and tried to search. Unfortunate. This is theoretically caused by our host setting an incorrect packet size limit parameter, or by our host being stingy. I applied a manual fix (which had the unfortunate side effect of logging everyone out—sorry) to solve the problem this time. If it comes up later, we’ll get more creative.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:10 am

Attention Scholars of Shen Zhou! As many of you already know, we have been running a few moderator application threads in the Public Council for quite some time now. The current team has finished evaluating the applications, and have updated the roster accordingly. The following roster changes have taken place:

Sanguo Yanyi Symposium & Archives
- Dong Zhou

Dynasty Warriors Training
- Sun Gongli

Gamers’ Haven
- Sun Gongli

Thanks to everybody who applied. Everyone's application received careful attention. Please don't be upset if you weren't selected. We do lock the application threads when they are inactive, but we leave them posted so we can look back and see everyone who's applied. There will always be positions to fill in the future, and you're all encouraged to keep up the good work and apply again next time the threads are opened.

Moderator Position Shifting
Changes made to positions of current moderators.

- SYL has been added to World History Deliberation
- Catalyst has been added to the Pub and the Pub, Timeless Threads
- Catalyst has been added to Gamers' Haven
- SunXia has been added to the Pub and the Pub, Timeless Threads
- SunXia has been added to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games

Administrators in the Moderation Team
We are now adding board administrators as official moderators to the forums they frequent. We are doing this to help you, our members, understand who is best to contact in each area. If you see Administrators listed as moderators in an area of the forum, you can contact them with the regular questions or moderation issues that you would have normally shared with a moderator.

- Kong Wen to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games
- Lady Wu to Dynasty Warriors Training
- Rhiannon to Artistic Expression and Illustration

Inactive Moderators
The following moderators have been removed from the moderation team due to inactivity. This has nothing to do with their performance, as we valued the work and contributions of each and every one of them. Each is welcome to contact us in the future if they would like to re-join our team. We thank you very much for the time you shared with us, and for your friendship.

- Iain
- Shield of Rohan
- Zhang Liao17

UPDATE: The formerly inactive moderator, JCC, has returned and become active again. As such, he has been reinstated as a moderator for Current Affairs as of 01 June 2007.

Thank you so much, all of you. We hope you are well!
"If I had to do my life over, I would change every single thing I have done."
— Raymond Douglas Davies, 1967
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God

Unread postby James » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:32 am

Kristina has been added as our newest moderator to the Literature, Academics and Philosophy forum! Welcome to the team, Kristina!
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:52 am

Okay, now I’ve logged all of you out twice! Ha!

Forum has been updated to the most recent version. Please report any problems in the Public Council. It broke my signature rules again. Why does every update have to break my signature rules? I’ll fix that soon.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:54 pm

Catalyst has stepped down from his role as moderator to tend to personal affairs. It has been a pleasure working with him and we hope he will remain a member of our community for a very long time to come. He is, of course, welcome back whenever he wishes to resume sla… I mean charity labor here at SoSZ!
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:48 pm

*Grumbles* A long day at work and come home to a broken forum...

Database is fixed. :)
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:19 pm

Sorry guys, I had to kill all active forum sessions, thus logging you out and resetting your post markers. This was necessary to provide a temporary fix to a problem which has been preventing members from signing up for more than two weeks now. I'll keep searching for a permanent fix.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Thu May 01, 2008 3:21 pm

Database crashed earlier with a sessions table error. I've fixed it and everything seems to be running fine. I don't know how people keep these forums online without a little bit of database knowledge...
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Sat May 10, 2008 1:45 am

Today I have decided to start working on Scholars of Shen Zhou’s phpBB 3.0 Layout. There is a chance you may not see it for a week or so. But last time I did this at SimRTK the whole site wound up updated about one day later, so I'm giving advance notice to everyone. When I do apply the update the forum will probably be locked. So if you stop by and see nothing here, that's why.

As usual, with this type of major upgrade there is always a small chance for unexpected disaster. I doubt we'll encounter any major troubles and if we do it would probably only translate to a day or so of downtime. But if you have special data in the forum which cannot be replaced, please make a local backup.

And Ranbir, you will probably be somewhat appeased.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

PreviousNext

Return to Public Council