Important Announcements Thread

Includes Forum Rules and Major Announcements. Post feedback, concerns, and forum issues. Moderation applications and public votes also take place here.

Unread postby Rhiannon » Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:15 am

As some of you noticed, all of the administrators (sans James) were reset to moderators (and then to regular users) tonight. This is the second time such an error has occurred, with its various odd glitches in addendum (including the odd word filter of the -> teh).

As you can imagine, the administration is quite aware of the issue. It's not terribly hard to fix the "damage" done, but we're still not quite sure of the cause. What damage has been done though has been relatively harmless, so I'd ask that you not worry yourselves over some "hacker" breaking into the forum. If anything serious were to happen (which it hasn't), we have easy ways of dealing with it.

Please though, if you notice anything definitely out of place like that, contact an online moderator or administrator immediately, be it on the forum, via email, or on an IM program.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby James » Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:02 pm

The forum has been updated to 2.0.11.
This update avoids some hacking problems found in the previous version. Members of simrtk.net will be quite familiar with these problems as this time we didn't slip under the radar. I'll get that site as soon as I restore our password there.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:13 pm

I have a note about Thread Titles.

People of the world, please learn what thread titles are for. They are to be used for titles of threads. Use the thread title to give the other members of the forum a general idea of what is in the thread. Titles should not rely on additional context to be understood. Here are some examples:

:arrow: Thread titles should not be long sentences that need to be completed in the body of the post with an ellipsis.

e.g. "Among the RTK strategists, who do you think would be th"

:arrow: Thread titles should not be overly vague.

e.g. "Whaddya think?"

:arrow: Thread titles should not comment on something specific inside the post, because the people haven't read the post yet.

e.g. "Is homosexuality a plague or something?"

This last example could be construed as trolling in some cases. It is a sarcastic reply to some of the content of the post, which would be fine if it was contained in the body of the post. If it's in the title, then people haven't read the post to see the material to which is replies. This means that some people will misinterpret these thread titles or be unnecessarily offended by them.

The title is just as important as the content of your posts: please put some thought into them.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:10 am

We'd just like everyone to take note of a minor change we've made in the way the forums are organized. We've changed the Other Three Kingdoms Games section into an Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games section. This means it can now include other games about the Three Kingdoms period by companies other than Koei, and it can also contain non-Three Kingdoms games by Koei. This includes Samurai Warriors, old classics like Uncharted Waters, Nobunaga's Ambition, etc., and new Koei games such as the Gladiator one that is coming out this summer.

We're working on moving the related threads to the proper place right now, so if you can't find a thread you're looking for in the Gamer's Haven, check out Other Three Kingdoms and Koei games.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:31 pm

James has asked me to make the following announcement:

In keeping with the new theme of ZMA and SoSL, and in view of recent Wu-bashing posts in SGYYS, we request that members be more respectful to the kingdom of Wu and its officers in their posts. Since this may require a big change from some, we will give a 3-day adjustment period before anti-Wu content becomes a warnable and/or bannable offense on this forum.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby James » Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:28 am

Kong Wen has been removed as admin, by his request. (He doesn’t agree with some changes at KMA, which I can understand. Unfortunately, there’s nothing much I can do about it now. I just don’t have the resources to handle things as they were once handled). Lady Wu will be the new site admin in his place. He always has a welcome place in the staff, and we thank him for his hard work.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:14 am

The previous two announcements were, of course, April Fools jokes. :)
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:56 pm

Please welcome both Shield of Rohan and SYL as the newest moderators in our team. Both have been chosen for new positions in Current Affairs, and will be working together with the moderators we already have in place there. Their positions are effective immediately.

SYL, sorry if you were trying to send me a PM—my inbox filled.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:27 am

Jonathan, the one you once knew as an administrator here, is back in oart-time action as a moderator in The Pub. He also has super-mod authority across the forum in the event of a serious problem or emergency.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:44 pm

Our forum has been updated to the latest release of phpBB’s software, version 2.0.17. With this version it seems they’ve taken out the version number on the bottom of the page, and given the increased popularity of phpBB (which means an increase in phpBB hacks) I think this is a good idea. If any of you have problems with the forum, please report them in the <a href="/viewtopic.php?t=6108">Forum Suggestions Thread</a>. (I know we have a problems thread—I just can’t remember where we put it!)
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

PreviousNext

Return to Public Council