Important Announcements Thread

Includes Forum Rules and Major Announcements. Post feedback, concerns, and forum issues. Moderation applications and public votes also take place here.

Re: Important Announcements Thread

Unread postby James » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:19 pm

Sorry about the off-and-on downtime over the past few days, folks.

We've had some server troubles. Hopefully this has been resolved.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:39 am

The occasional ongoing downtime has been the result of DDoS attacks against our server. I have been in communication with the host about this problem. If it is not resolved I'll be migrating our forum to a new host.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:32 am

Welcome To Our New Server!
(We’ve migrated to avoid further downtime, in case you missed the previous message).

If you can see this message, it means you are viewing Scholars of Shen Zhou on the new server. Go ahead and post away! Whatever you contribute won't be deleted due to the migration.

Hopefully we're all on this server before too long.

You will notice that many posts from Sunday have vanished. I tried to recover some from the old server. Many of them will appear as quotes which I posted. Some I migrated so they appeared as if they were posted by the original author on the previous server. In any case, I hope this isn't a large inconvenience. Enjoy!
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:26 pm

Reaching the Old Server
It is still possible, for the time being, to reach the old server. I'll be disconnecting service there before too long, but I'll keep it around for at least half a week or so. If you want to recover posts from the server you are welcome to do so. You can recover a portion of a thread by posting a series of quotes from the old server. If you want a more specialized recovery (that looks natural) let me know.

http://209.51.140.66/~scholars/

It looks like crap, but it still works with a regular login.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:48 am

Thank you for reporting spam posts!
In case you haven't noticed, there's an option to report posts in the forum which violate rules. I've noticed that someone has taken to actually reporting spam posts through this system when they appear. This has helped to find a few spammers sooner than we might have otherwise noticed them. I would encourage other members to take advantage of this system. :)
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:28 pm

Scholar of the Since-Last-Time-We-Had-One
Please Vote!
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:29 am

New BBCode Tag
I have added a new BBCode tag which can be used to place emphasis on text in a post. To use it click the 'em' button in the toolbar above your post. The emphasis tag is used to place strong emphasis on a portion of text and should obviously be used sparingly. It is particularly handy for information posts but please use it sparingly in debate, if even at all. Bold and italics are usually more than sufficient for such purposes.

Code: Select all
[em]{TEXT}[/em]

Please do not use the emphasis tag in signatures.

Feedback and suggestions can be made in the Suggestions and Feedback thread. :)
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:03 pm

Anti-Bot Measures in Place
Hello everyone. This isn't the first time I've done something like this, and it may not be the last, but hopefully it is the last for a while now. I've just updated our CAPTCHA to use Dynasty Warriors artwork in the background with unique distortions so they can no longer be reverse engineered by CAPTCHA de-noising bots. I hope this means we won't have to worry about bot registrations in the forum for a while.

If you see any bots please report them so I know how this is working. :)
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:20 am

Forum Layout Tweaks
I just made a serious of minor adjustments to the forum layout. The focus was on improving colors, borders (removing them in many cases), spacing, and readability. I also fixed a handful of outstanding Internet Explorer 6 bugs. Please let me know if I broke anything in the process. :)
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:26 pm

Changes to our Moderation Setup

About a year since our last major announcement, you may have noticed the forum has a slightly different look.

After some deliberation, we have implemented a system of global moderation. Instead of having assigned moderators for each section, our mods now have relevant access across the whole forum. Obviously, the now-obsolete individual moderator names have disappeared from the forum list.

If you have a concern about the rules, abuse, or something going wrong in any of the forums, you can feel free to contact any active mod. Check "The Team" link at the bottom of the forum if you need help remembering who can help you.

This change will help give us more cohesiveness and flexibility as a team without forcing us to expand unnecessarily. It'll also make it easier for you to navigate and communicate with us as the need arises.
"If I had to do my life over, I would change every single thing I have done."
— Raymond Douglas Davies, 1967
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God

PreviousNext

Return to Public Council