Rank Information

Includes Forum Rules and Major Announcements. Post feedback, concerns, and forum issues. Moderation applications and public votes also take place here.

Rank Information

Unread postby James » Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:24 am

Here at Scholars of Shen Zhou, a rank below your name is used to indicate 'member status'. Please note, post count means nothing on this forum, and those who spam to raise post count will be dealt with by the forum rules accordingly. This nifty little guide explains all, and if you have any more questions to offer please post them here.

Following is a list ranks and corresponding post requirements for that rank.

Phearful Tyro - 0 Posts
Apprentice - 20 Posts
Initiate - 45 Posts
Student - 80 Posts
Assistant - 115 Posts
Academic - 160 Posts
Master - 205 Posts
Sage - 260 Posts
Scholar - 315 Posts
Changshi - 380 Posts
Langzhong - 440 Posts
Scholar of Shen Zhou - 600 Posts

Image: Moderator - Moderates certain forums

Image: Administrator - Runs Forum

What does “Tyro” Mean?
ty·ro or ti·ro n
somebody who is beginning to learn something
Comes from Medieval Latin tȳrō, meaning squire, a variant of Latin tīrō, meaning recruit.

What does “Shen Zhou” Mean?
To be brief, it means “China”.

How do I get a custom rank?
Sometimes we hold little educational/academic contests, the winner gets a custom title. There is also the monthly Scholar of Shen Zhou award. Those methods aside, the only way to get one is to be a moderator or admin. How do you become one of them? We show open positions in the Public Council. Asking over and over again before there is an opening is a good way to make sure you never get the position.

Does my post count matter?
Here at SoSZ, no, post count does not matter. We do not take post count into account when deciding who is a good standing member of the community. In fact, we don't even look at post count when deciding who would be a good moderator. Post count means nothing here except the amount of your participation (it can only indicate quantity, however, not quality). As such, those who spam to raise their post counts will be dealt with according to forum rules. The titles with the post counts are just a nice way to reward participation.

What happened to the dots?
The administration of the forum decided that dots were a useless graphic on the forum, which only took up extra load time, bandwidth, and space. Because they only indicated post count -- a useless thing on SoSZ -- there was no reason to keep them around. We have found that the forum looks cleaner without the dots, and we do not plan on bringing them back to the forum ever again.

But I saw a member with dots!
Any member with dots has put an old dot graphic into their avatar. There are one or two members who do have actual 'dots'; this is because they annoyed me about the dots enough that I decided to annoy them in return. Do not ask for dots.
Last edited by James on Wed May 28, 2003 5:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:25 pm

Okay, the list has been updated. This time I also tossed up the most frequently asked questions to save time. And thanks for the Windows keyboard special character shortcuts, I appreciate them. I found out how to enter a character with a macron, you have to use the decimal values presented in Unicode, but it looks like most fonts have trouble with spacing (see the “Tyro” definition).
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Endless Pain » Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:00 pm

Excuse me if this is a stupid question, but what do Changshi and Langzhong mean?
Endless Pain
Apprentice

Unread postby Lu Xun » Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:15 am

Ryuzoji wrote:Excuse me if this is a stupid question, but what do Changshi and Langzhong mean?

Actually they're titles/ranks of officials in Chinese. Jon Wu or another member more knowledgable on this subject could probably be more helpful with a more accurate definition. Asellas probably got the names confused with cities/regions of China. (ChangAn and HanZhong maybe.?^.^)
性高潮枪
"Cheap sandal-maker! Do you always send your little bastard to the field?
If I call my little yellowbeard Cao Zhang over, he'll make meatballs of him!"
- Mengde
Lu Xun
Crown Prince of Shen Zhou

Location: Drinking wine, writing poems, and spending time with my concubines

Unread postby Man Chong » Thu Dec 25, 2003 12:17 am

Lang Zhong 郎中 means a travelling medince man/doctor

Chang Shi... i'm not sure. You got chinese characters for that?
Man Chong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Dec 25, 2003 3:50 am

Langzhong is an imperial courtier or attendent. Changshi is an imperial historian.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Man Chong » Thu Dec 25, 2003 6:28 am

Really Lady Wu? Me and some of my friends discussed it, and they all said it meas a doctor/travelling medicine dude....

Can anyone supply me with the chinese characters for Lang Zhong and Chang Shi please? Then i can actually attemp to translate.... :?
Man Chong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Dec 25, 2003 6:54 am

Man Chong wrote:Really Lady Wu? Me and some of my friends discussed it, and they all said it meas a doctor/travelling medicine dude....

Can anyone supply me with the chinese characters for Lang Zhong and Chang Shi please? Then i can actually attemp to translate.... :?

郎中、長史

Langzhong does mean a doctor. However, it has a second, and older, interpretation. It is an official position first put in place by the Qin, and is originally on a par with 中郎 and 侍郎. A Zhonglang serves in the inner palace, a Langzhong serves in the outer palace, and a Shilang serves outside the palace. By the time Wei came to power, there developed 2 main kinds of Langzhongs. Here's the description from the SGZ Dictionary 三國志辭典:

曹魏因置,光祿勳所屬郎中,秩比三百石,第八品,主輪番宿衛諸殿門及出充車騎。尚書台設郎中二十五人,秩四百石,第六品。分曹治事,主作文書起草。吳、蜀亦置。
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby Man Chong » Thu Dec 25, 2003 7:04 am

Ah, I bow down to you Lady Wu. Never knew there was another ancient meaning to Lang Zhong.....

And thx for the Chang Shi translation too :)
Man Chong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SesshomaruTenseiga » Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:26 pm

Question! Sage sounds an awful lot like Mage. What is a Sage, is it like a wizard or elder?
It's a now nothing.
SesshomaruTenseiga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Public Council