Rank Information

Includes Forum Rules and Major Announcements. Post feedback, concerns, and forum issues. Moderation applications and public votes also take place here.

Re: Rank Information

Unread postby Striga » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:28 am

James wrote:But I saw a member with dots!
Any member with dots has put an old dot graphic into their avatar. There are one or two members who do have actual 'dots'; this is because they annoyed me about the dots enough that I decided to annoy them in return. Do not ask for dots.

Which members have the dots?
The FAQ still talks about the dots for an image below the username.
"Immense power is fun! You should try it sometime." -Syndra (favourite quote XD)
Striga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:33 am

No members have dots. The FAQ has some outdated elements.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Thu May 08, 2014 9:29 pm

James wrote:No members have dots. The FAQ has some outdated elements.

I have always been curious about the dots. I never saw them or anyone who had them - they were just this mysterious and forbidden thing. That final "Do not ask for dots" has always struck me as very ominous. Not "Please don't ask about dots" or "Asking about dots will not get you dots, so please don't ask" but "Do not ask about dots".

"Some have disappeared who once were among you - they have been taken away. It is not your place to know. Do not ask about them." Ideally with torches against a clear, dark sky and spoken by someone with a very menacing look and appearance.

And yet...there's just something funny about the tone of it, which is imperative and authoritative,...and the subject,...which is dots.
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sat May 10, 2014 10:38 pm

Liu Yuante wrote:I have always been curious about the dots. I never saw them or anyone who had them - they were just this mysterious and forbidden thing. That final "Do not ask for dots" has always struck me as very ominous. Not "Please don't ask about dots" or "Asking about dots will not get you dots, so please don't ask" but "Do not ask about dots".

"Some have disappeared who once were among you - they have been taken away. It is not your place to know. Do not ask about them." Ideally with torches against a clear, dark sky and spoken by someone with a very menacing look and appearance.

And yet...there's just something funny about the tone of it, which is imperative and authoritative,...and the subject,...which is dots.

You are making people curious about dots. People will start asking about dots. This is not a Good Thing. Stop before it's too late.

I don't think the dots have been seen, or talked about, for at least a decade now.

"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby James » Sat May 10, 2014 10:47 pm

Yes. We don't discuss dots. Please do not ask about them.

Edit: Ha! The dots are still on the server. Including the Lord of Pink Dots' pink dots.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun May 11, 2014 12:23 pm

I've thought about asking about the dots on many occasions, the warning always scared me off! :lol:
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Sun May 11, 2014 6:53 pm

Sun Fin wrote:I've thought about asking about the dots on many occasions, the warning always scared me off! :lol:

They also make me think of Dippin' Dots.

EDIT: I have gone gone through the Wayback Machine's archives and found an image of dots. Not really dots, were they? Bigger than that. Look kind of dumb, really. I guess my curiosity is satisfied now.

I feel confident that no one would actually want those back. And I'm not just saying that because of the ill-tempered ninja that James sent to my house last night telling me to stop asking about dots. That was clearly an unrelated event.
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun May 11, 2014 7:19 pm

If you found an image of the dots why did you not post them up to satisfy our curiosity as well? :P
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Sun May 11, 2014 7:34 pm

Sun Fin wrote:If you found an image of the dots why did you not post them up to satisfy our curiosity as well? :P

That was something I swore not to do as the ninja held a knife to my neck an oversight on my part.

Also, as amusing as this is, and despite the forum having slowed down, there's always the possibility someone will see the image and then decide that they want them. And then I will be blamed for it. :P
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon May 12, 2014 3:14 am

Liu Yuante wrote:And then I will be blamed for it. :P

Hence we don't talk about dots. The proscription is for your own good.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Previous

Return to Public Council