New Discord

Includes Forum Rules and Major Announcements. Post feedback, concerns, and forum issues. Moderation applications and public votes also take place here.

New Discord

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:46 pm

As many of you are aware Bush Leagues set up a SoSZ discord channel about two years ago that has seen a reasonable amount of activity. We now have a new channel. To join it click here!

The idea was recently thrown out by Deej and Wen Huang that we jazz the place up somewhat, and start advertising it in other Three Kingdom related domains. What this would look like I'll allow the three aforementioned members layout as they've explained it to me and I still don't really understand it. However, it turns out that Bush Leagues has lost access to the original admin account, so to make any of these changes we needed a new channel. Hence the above link.

Our reasoning for this is that we want to broaden our membership and social media seems to be the way to do this. What we're hoping to do is generate a buzz and create conversations in the discord. Then direct people to the board for answers, the high-quality pre-existing threads that have been developed over the 15 years, book reviews and all those kinds of things that our talented community are producing.

Why now? Hopefully that should be self-explanatory. The new Total war game has bought 3K to the general public's attention which is giving us an opportunity we've not had since Red Cliff. If we could be at the cutting edge of explaining the history, writing guides like we were in the early days of Dynasty Warriors then we could see a real revival.

Obviously, we want James and the team here to be on board with our idea. We're going to need moderators as we're hoping to recruit people from outside of the SoSZ vicinity who might not be as polite as we all are and again, we want consistency between the board and channel. We'd also be asking members here to be making content that could draw attention and it would be great if that stuff maybe ended up on Kongming's Archives too. James we also want to be sure that your happy for us to be officially affiliated with this site and don’t mind us being named after the SoSZ or KMA? What do people think?
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Re: New Discord

Unread postby Wen Huang » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:43 pm

It has started! :D

I had a few ideas, I've been a moderator in a Discord server containing 5000 people or more. I've really enjoyed moderating in there and learnt a lot.

First of all I had the idea of creating several categories besides the general chat. One for games such as Dynasty Warriors, Total War: Three Kingdoms and Romance of The Three Kingdoms. Another category could be created for literature, tv shows/movies and manga/anime. There could also be a category for different topics, such as non-Chinese history, music, sports, games and other recreational activities. Perhaps a category for bot commands or an individual channel could be made. Another category I could think of is a miscellaneous channel which still focuses on China, containing topics for different parts of China's history and literature from China. Lastly, there could be a voice channel category with voice channels for gaming and casual talking.

A different idea I had contains a bot giving the members ranks based on their activity. Now I speak from experience when I say that this can have two results; either people are encouraged to be more active and speak a lot more, or people could start spamming, which we do not want to encourage. The ranks could be based on the titles here on the forum.

What we were also thinking of is reaching out to different communities such as the one from Total War: Three Kingdoms and perhaps other ROTK-based communities. Just as Sun Fin mentioned in his main post.

Discord also has the useful feature of bots, like mentioned in the ranks part. There are bots that could be used for listening to music in a voice channel or bots that can keep count of logging events (a nice addition to the mod team). There are a lot of other bots on Discord, which I do not know the exact use of. I've never been ''the bot guy'' and I don't think I would make a good one :P .

Let's get this party started! :mrgreen:
"When a man is in the world, O,
He ought to do his best.
And when he’s done his best, O.
He ought to have his rest. - Zhou Yu
Wen Huang
Apprentice

Unread postby Jake » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:03 pm

Loving this idea already. As far as I know, there's not much buzz around the 3K community outside of reddit (r/totalwar to be precise) so bringing fans together is an excellent idea! You have my full support.

Wen Huang wrote:A different idea I had contains a bot giving the members ranks based on their activity. Now I speak from experience when I say that this can have two results; either people are encouraged to be more active and speak a lot more, or people could start spamming, which we do not want to encourage. The ranks could be based on the titles here on the forum.

Well, considering spam has been an issue ever since... ever, that should not be an obstacle while trying to encourage people to post more to gain user ranks. Over ten years ago when I was surfing the net and writing on Kingdom Hearts based message boards they had a pub section like ours and people spammed to their hearts content on threads like "tag the other person" or something equally ridiculous. What the moderating team did however was not telling people to stop their spam games but created a sub-forum where your amount of posts were not counted and the meaningless yet sometimes hilarious spam games could still continue.

What I'm trying to say here is that spam, sometimes an annoyance, should not be totally outlawed even on an discord server where you gain rank by being active. People love their spam and games so there should be text channels to encourage people to have fun even with literal spam, but, actively moderate the sections that count towards your rank so that the spam doesn't become a problem on text channels were people are actually discussing the gven topic.

But yeah, a wonderful idea you guys came up with.
Puhkon silmäni, että näkisin
En tahdo nähdä, mutta näen sen väkisin
Runtelen korvani, jotta kuulisin
En ymmärrä, mutta kuulen sen väkisin
Jake
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Deej » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:53 am

Wen Huang wrote:It has started! :D

I had a few ideas, I've been a moderator in a Discord server containing 5000 people or more. I've really enjoyed moderating in there and learnt a lot.

First of all I had the idea of creating several categories besides the general chat. One for games such as Dynasty Warriors, Total War: Three Kingdoms and Romance of The Three Kingdoms. Another category could be created for literature, tv shows/movies and manga/anime. There could also be a category for different topics, such as non-Chinese history, music, sports, games and other recreational activities. Perhaps a category for bot commands or an individual channel could be made. Another category I could think of is a miscellaneous channel which still focuses on China, containing topics for different parts of China's history and literature from China. Lastly, there could be a voice channel category with voice channels for gaming and casual talking.

A different idea I had contains a bot giving the members ranks based on their activity. Now I speak from experience when I say that this can have two results; either people are encouraged to be more active and speak a lot more, or people could start spamming, which we do not want to encourage. The ranks could be based on the titles here on the forum.

What we were also thinking of is reaching out to different communities such as the one from Total War: Three Kingdoms and perhaps other ROTK-based communities. Just as Sun Fin mentioned in his main post.

Discord also has the useful feature of bots, like mentioned in the ranks part. There are bots that could be used for listening to music in a voice channel or bots that can keep count of logging events (a nice addition to the mod team). There are a lot of other bots on Discord, which I do not know the exact use of. I've never been ''the bot guy'' and I don't think I would make a good one :P .

Let's get this party started! :mrgreen:

All great ideas. With regards to multiple channels we'll need to draw up a priority list and add them as the server becomes more active. If we split the chatter up completely at this early stage it would be counter-productive in my opinion. The bot channel is a must and I'll put that in over the next couple of days. We do have a voice channel, we can add more if that sees some use!

The ranks is a good idea and I think we should get this done, mirroring the site ranks is a good idea.

So far I've reached out to the Three Kingdoms reddit page but might have to create my own as I've had no response. It seems that subreddit has been abandoned and is home to stray Total War posts now. I've got another few emails to send and will report back on these in the coming days!
Deej
Initiate

Return to Public Council